Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 379

Author Topic: Pantheon: A Game inspired by Godhood OOC and Application Thread  (Read 400179 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon: A Game inspired by Godhood OOC and Application Thread
« Reply #5595 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »

Well, TECHNICALLY, Udil isn't evolved.

He ascended, yes, but that's not an act of evolution, as by definition Evolution happens due to genetic drift, not divine inspiration.

Which means that the Catalyst isn't exactly evolution either, he's a cheap knock-off of it.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: April 10, 2013, 07:41:15 pm »

More like the Spire was a prevalent theme in your examples and happens to be an extreme case of an Elder God you'd not want to try and sneak power away from. It is not like the average player character is half as genocidal as the phoenix, just look at the plummeting player death count. Has any player character even died since then?

Saying that a character died for being too nice while prodding the Necronomicon with a stick does not make for a very convincing argument.

Not sure if prodding the Necronomicon is an accurate comparison.  You are right about that elder god being the most genocidal though.  If you're character had continued unchecked, it is likely that every other player would have died had the trend continued.  Yeah sneaking power away from him wasn't great for survival but I really don't think leaving it alone would have been much of an improvement to the overall expected lifespan of the average Fate Touched mortal.  Bad plan but good reasons for attempting it maybe?  Both of those characters were primarily interested in trying to improve or heal the world.

Also, there aren't that many "Attempted Nice Guys" to use for comparison.  Most of the characters seem rather neutral to me.  Who currently in the game goes out of their way to unselfishly help mortals regardless of personal gain?

Seriously though, that spire on top of you being an elder god was ridiculous.  I'm genuinely surprised the other players didn't gang up on you sooner.  That kind of power would have left you completely invulnerable within a few turns and broken the game.  Udil might soon follow in your footsteps with his spire.  I'm trying to avoid that fate by making my Catalysts more symbiotic than parasitic but if my rolls continue like this, that might not be a possibility.

In that case the Catalyst has to overcome the ultimate evolutionary being if it wants to thrive on my planet -a dwarf who ascended.

Not quite sure what your exact intentions are but let me just clarify a few things for the Catalyst.

Right now the Catalyst is primarily an opportunistic feeder.  It goes after weaker or undefended life forms because they are easy prey and it can make them and itself stronger by infecting them.  If you or anyone else actively tries to eliminate the Catalyst, it will cease to be an opportunistic feeder and just try to completely consume the offensive parties.

The Catalyst is also currently very agitated because it realized it doesn't actually have complete control over itself.  This raises the question of what is the "Hivemind" compared to what is the "Catalyst," because apparently Catalyst organisms do not need to be part of the Hivemind.

In conclusion, the Catalyst won't care too much if you try and eliminate some of the infected that aren't part of the Hivemind.  However if you actually go out of your way to kill Catalyst organisms that are part of the Hivemind without any provocation, it is likely the Catalyst will respond by trying to eat you and your followers.

On the other hand, the Catalyst is open to professional cooperation and alliances.  Didn't work out so far with Feros but I intend to make up for that.  Anyway, my character really doesn't have any reason yet to dislike any of the other characters but if it does it'll be all out war until either it dies or the enemy dies.

Quote applies to you to.  The Catalyst went after the Seaspawn and Squiddles because they were weak and undefended.  There was an opening to become more powerful and to make those other races more powerful.  The Dwarves are doing fine and under divine protection and thus are not on the Catalyst's list of prey right now.  If you prove to be hostile or threatening though, yada yada defend myself, etc.

He ascended, yes, but that's not an act of evolution, as by definition Evolution happens due to genetic drift, not divine inspiration.

Which means that the Catalyst isn't exactly evolution either, he's a cheap knock-off of it.

TECHNICALLY the Catalyst isn't a god and thus would not be Divine, so TECHNICALLY it would probably still sort of qualify as a form of evolution by rapid DNA mutations but I don't care to argue the point.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: April 10, 2013, 07:44:04 pm »

Tangential: how did I not get a SINGLE ACT from the power of a whole star, AND a century's worth of betrayers stuck in the ring?

Also, though I'm sure it's probably because "Lol GM fiat" which is fine, but how did the fleet find my system when by definition my system can't be found unless you literally stumble across it despite the fact that it's quite literally in the ass-end of nowhere?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:45:58 pm by ragnarok97071 »
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: April 10, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »

Well, seeing how Udil started a new family and will pass on the traits that secured him the godhood, I'd say thats evolution at work.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: April 10, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »

Well, seeing how Udil started a new family and will pass on the traits that secured him the godhood, I'd say thats evolution at work.
Best not to have kids.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »

True, but he himself isn't especially evolved. He simply managed to get divinity, which would start a new generations... And of course completely abandoned his wife and children WHICH ALREADY EXISTED in order to chase divine tail :P

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:50 pm »

Best not to have kids.

Whats wrong with kids?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: April 10, 2013, 07:48:42 pm »

Best not to have kids.

Whats wrong with kids?
What traits secured you the godhood?
Hint: Greek Mythology.
Sig! Onol

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: April 10, 2013, 07:50:12 pm »

Best not to have kids.

Whats wrong with kids?
What traits secured you the godhood?
Hint: Greek Mythology.

I like to think that Udil is genre-savvy.

E: Also, being the ultimate badass helps  :P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:52:26 pm by Ardas »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: April 10, 2013, 07:52:35 pm »

The Greek Gods were also genre-savvy. The way to be more genre savvy is to not have kids in the first place.
Besides, genre savvyness would warn you against them betraying you, but I was genre-savvy and your betrayal came more out of left field than the ending for Mass Effect 3.
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:17 pm »

...Good?
*Shrugs*  Attempted Nice Guy Traurig was burned alive trying to get to the Spire.  Attempted Nice Guy Nelkathar was eaten alive trying to get to the spire.  Attempted Nice Guy/Gal Neyravah was killed by the same people it intended to help.  Nice Guy Corvus was consumed from the inside by Aldemas who Corvus had killed unintentionally...
I could probably go on with more examples but I won't.  The Catalyst is my intended embodiment of evolution.  Attempted nice guys have for the most part suffered for it so far.  That means for survival and evolution purposes, the Catalyst must be primarily self serving if it wants to thrive.  The most advantageous traits the Catalyst observes are those that it will incorporate into its personality.
In that case the Catalyst has to overcome the ultimate evolutionary being if it wants to thrive on my planet -a dwarf who ascended.
*twitch*
*multiple twitches*
*many many twitches*
*calm*
EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY SCIENCE ESPECIALLY BIOLOGY ESPECIALLY EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY IS A BIT OF A SORE POINT WITH ME SORRY EVOLUTION REFERS TO GRADUAL INHERITABLE TRAITS ACCUMULATED OVER GENERATIONS NOT CHANGES OVER AN INDIVIDUAL'S LIFETIME SORRY FOR THE RANT IT'S A SORE SPOT.
*breathes*
Sorry, bit of a rough day, and I discovered my new character got killed off before I could do anything. And this observation has been ignored.
The Catalyst is, as far as I can tell, evolving. A bit bacterial in its genetic assimilation, but evolution nonetheless.

Tangential: how did I not get a SINGLE ACT from the power of a whole star, AND a century's worth of betrayers stuck in the ring?
Also, though I'm sure it's probably because "Lol GM fiat" which is fine, but how did the fleet find my system when by definition my system can't be found unless you literally stumble across it despite the fact that it's quite literally in the ass-end of nowhere?
because "Lol GM fiat"

Even accepting this as true, which I don't, and assuming gods reproduce in a normal way, which is probable, Udil himself isn't evolved. The changes were not caused by any remotely natural process; it's more proper to say that labradoodles evolved than Udil.

Best not to have kids.
Whats wrong with kids?
Nothing. Fill the planet with your kids. Or eat them all.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »

Come on guys, no need to hate on Udil. Just submit to him and all will be well.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »

Wouldn't that kind of make the game boring?
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:57 pm »

Wouldn't that kind of make the game boring?

Winning is never boring.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:11 pm »

...Good?
*Shrugs*  Attempted Nice Guy Traurig was burned alive trying to get to the Spire.  Attempted Nice Guy Nelkathar was eaten alive trying to get to the spire.  Attempted Nice Guy/Gal Neyravah was killed by the same people it intended to help.  Nice Guy Corvus was consumed from the inside by Aldemas who Corvus had killed unintentionally...
I could probably go on with more examples but I won't.  The Catalyst is my intended embodiment of evolution.  Attempted nice guys have for the most part suffered for it so far.  That means for survival and evolution purposes, the Catalyst must be primarily self serving if it wants to thrive.  The most advantageous traits the Catalyst observes are those that it will incorporate into its personality.
*twitch*
*multiple twitches*
*many many twitches*
*calm*
EVOLUTION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY SCIENCE ESPECIALLY BIOLOGY ESPECIALLY EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY IS A BIT OF A SORE POINT WITH ME SORRY EVOLUTION REFERS TO GRADUAL INHERITABLE TRAITS ACCUMULATED OVER GENERATIONS NOT CHANGES OVER AN INDIVIDUAL'S LIFETIME SORRY FOR THE RANT IT'S A SORE SPOT.
*breathes*
Sorry, bit of a rough day, and I discovered my new character got killed off before I could do anything. And this observation has been ignored.
The Catalyst is, as far as I can tell, evolving. A bit bacterial in its genetic assimilation, but evolution nonetheless.
Technically it can happen quite quickly due to inbreeding, and artificial gene-splicing(Like the Zerg, who splice, and assimilate)
Or maybe Into some highly volatile, catalytitic fluid which can change your DNA.(Like a Spawning Pool!)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 08:10:06 pm by javierpwn »
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 379