Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Small things that made you feel completely awesome  (Read 21487 times)

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small things that made you feel completely awesome
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »

The first time I captured a titan. It felt like the scene in King Kong when they trap him :)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 12:40:29 pm »

The first time I defeated a siege; a single marksdwarf managed to make it inside. (I train them by making them hunters)

He went up on the walls and peppered the goblins with bolts until he killed a few, then they retreated.

Interestingly, during the siege, a single goblin childsnatcher made off with a kid. I'm convinced that the entire invasion was a carefully orchestrated plan to abduct that single child. I imagine that he was secretly an incarnate deity or something, so I can only thank the goblins for taking care of him for me. I sure as hell ain't dealing with that.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 12:47:48 pm »

The first time I captured a titan. It felt like the scene in King Kong when they trap him :)
You used evil chloroform rain and pig tail fiber rope harpoons fired from ballistae to trap and tie the Titan down?
Socks.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

The first time my military killed a goblin siege without losing a single dorf.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 02:49:09 pm »

Forging my first candy weapon gave me a good feeling too.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »

This was a few versions ago, maybe even 40d.  There was a moderately-sized siege and sent out my squad of 10 marksfodderdwarves to go thin them out a little.  Every last one of those little buggers was some kind of magic Rambo-meets-Hawkeye mutant superdwarf.  They started firing a good 30-40 tiles away, getting 6-7 headshots out of the first 10 shots.  The goblins weren't scared enough yet and kept coming and for just about every bolt fired, a goblin went down.  Finally the remaining goblins got close enough, extremely thinned out, so the marksdwarves beat their skulls in with fists and crossbows until the last handful fled for the hills.  Then the whole squad of marksdwarves came back inside and had started drinking before the lazy good-for-nothing melee squads had made the gates.  Meanwhile I was watching the action on the screen with my jaw hanging open and then started laughing like an idiot.  Then I told the rest of those slackers to go collect all that valuable goblinite.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »

Building a complicated series of pump stacks to dry up a river, pump it through a drowning trap/indoor waterfall/dorf shower, then pumping it back up to get the river flowing again.

Also, "Urist McAxedorf is sparring!"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 04:53:40 pm »

Designating massive, elaborate sections of my fortress without having a single mistake.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 04:55:12 pm »

A single hunter kills four goblins in as many shots as soon as the siege shows up. Routs all the rest.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 05:44:57 pm »

Whenever my crippled, almost bare-chested militia captain with only one hand singlehandedly obliterates several goblins and survives unscathed.
He does this with his feet, a bit of his remaining hand and bone-crushing TEETH.

God I love that guy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:20:07 pm by Friendstrange »

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »

Probably the first time I made a waterfall. Had to pump it from the river through a tube halfway across the map and down into my dining room. Took me forever to build. Now that stones slow dwarves down I don't even want to think about replicating said project.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I felt pretty awesome when my hydroelectric power scheme (originally intended to provide jobs for immigrants), which also incidently was too far from anything to actually provide power, not only failed spectacularly and resulted in the collapse and subsequent drowning of the slaves pump operators, but also backed up the stream to the point that it overspilled its banks, flooded the dye farms, and drowned a roving band of birdmen (I forget which type). It was the most Fun moment I've had in this game.

How is this small, you ask? Well, the whole calamity was initiated when Urist McWimpyArms fainted from overwork at the pump. I didn't know that could happen before, and it made me feel awesome that I had a minion so devoted to me that he would forgoe such activities as "sleep" and "heavy drinking", just to repeatedly turn a pump handle all day with no progress evident.  :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »

double post, sorry.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 07:21:14 pm »

Just being able to understand and play this game. Yeah, I've been playing this game for a yeah, but it feels nice to be the only one I know that can play this game with skill. Everyone else is like "I have no imagination because i need mega graphics to play games, or patience because I don't understand how to play this game in 5 minutes, ima go play (insert AAA title here)."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:23:24 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »

When my first really successful fort managed to sally forth and kill 3 FBs in a row without taking a single injury.

Up until this point I'd never even survived a siege
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6