Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 925095 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4740 on: November 30, 2014, 05:09:38 am »

I'm not sure about the trees but I do remember reading that there were plans to make the overworld more interesting to travel across. Roads to towns and locations where you can find loot and the like. Some of the dungeons have nearly full castles above ground and it'd be neat to see those used for something other than just an entrance into spaghetti halls.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: November 30, 2014, 05:14:08 am »

Some of the dungeons have nearly full castles above ground and it'd be neat to see those used for something other than just an entrance into spaghetti halls.

Conversely, I always thought it was hilarious that "mound with a door in the side" can be called a "castle" by whatever internal game logic hands out dungeon names.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: November 30, 2014, 03:58:38 pm »

In an ideal roleplaying game, how would people prefer diplomatic actions be handled? Here are some models:

• There's a Speechcraft skill or Charisma stat, this opens up better options in conversations (Fallout 1 & 2)
  • There's a Speechcraft skill, this increases the success of diplomatic actions (Morrowind)
  • There are a few speech skills, each one opens up better/different options in conversations (Wasteland 2)
  • You just have to pick the right options in the conversation tree (most graphic adventure games)
  • There's a persuasion skill which at higher ranks opens up opportunities for diplomacy but you still have to choose options wisely (Arcanum)
  • There's a morality bar which at extremes gives novel ways to resolve scenes (Mass Effect)
  • Your relationships with people determine conversation options or the success of these options, your dispositions and choices affect relationships (intra-party diplomacy in Dragon Age)

I guess I'd want something a bit like Dragon Age, where your words and actions affect how people see you, but I wouldn't want it on a transparent bar of hatred-to-love. I like games where being a diplomatic charismatic talker is a valid character build (like in Planescape, but also Arcanum, where you can be a schmoozy gnome in a red velvet smoking jacket who stands back while their hirelings murderise things but mostly solves problems through talking). I'd prefer more games where random encounters can be solved peaceably. Most people you meet in roleplaying games (bandits etc.) aren't really people, but human shaped suicidal savages.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: November 30, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »

Something else altogether - having your stat determine not how well picking your conversation tree works on random or unlocking options, but the stat giving you - more or less accurate, depending on the level - ability to tell how well the person will react to different options. So a skill failure is more misjudgement that 'welp, you randomly insulted his mother'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: November 30, 2014, 04:52:05 pm »

Something else altogether - having your stat determine not how well picking your conversation tree works on random or unlocking options, but the stat giving you - more or less accurate, depending on the level - ability to tell how well the person will react to different options. So a skill failure is more misjudgement that 'welp, you randomly insulted his mother'.
There's a system a bit like this in Deus Ex 3, where you can read people's character types and learn how they'll react to things, or you can just make an intelligent guess. But this required framing every conversation option as differing levels of aggression/obsequiousness. Would you want the 'how people react' factor to be essentially arbitrary and differ from person to person, or be based on an underlying system (where people have different character-types etc.)?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: November 30, 2014, 05:08:20 pm »

A WW2 shooter with a twist.

Basically your standard CoD shooter, (the old ones) but you don't respawn when you get killed. Instead you're treated to a first person view of your horrible death, got shot in the throat, you watch as you helplessly gush blood while the medic tries to help you, heck, maybe he will save you occassionaly, but not often, maybe you get badly hurt but survive, you watch as they rush you out to somewhere a bit safer.

The thing is, as you're dying/leaving you'll see a platoonmate near you, or someone else, someone will hold your hand maybe, when that happens you switch to that person, and then you continue fighting until it happens again. Then it happens again, and again, and again until the war is over.

Ideally you'd have downtime with your friends where you'd be treated to their backstories (this bit would be somewhat randomized I guess to allow a large number of deaths, but they'd get more and more similar as they kept dying) so that losing someone stings that much more. In the end, every problem will be solveable, it's just a matter of how many bodies you want to throw at it.

And once you beat it, you'll have a nice walk trough the credits, with the graves of the folks you lost around you.

So yeah, I'd like a fucking depressing FPS instead of the usual spunkgargleweewee fare we're getting, tho unlike Spec Ops it wouldn't be about the shitty stuff people do but about shitty stuff happening to people during the war, how in the end, that's fucking people down there in the dirt fighting for every blasted inch of whatever place.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: November 30, 2014, 05:08:34 pm »

After playing Daggerfall a bit recently, I realize how much I want a game with the soul of Daggerfall, but also all the modern accoutrements like pretty graphics, an actual difficulty curve rather than... whatever Daggerfall has (I call it a difficulty "pile of spaghetti"), so on and suchlike. All of this while keeping the random dungeons, the freaky unexplained environmental noises, the boundless wilderness, the random gratuitous nudity, YE OLDE PEASANTS, the cartoony blood & guts, and maybe some of the old-school DOS RPG weirdness like the 3D automap.

As I describe all the things that make up the experience of playing Daggerfall, I realize it probably wouldn't be that hard to make a Game of Thrones game just via extensive modding of Daggerfall :P It's got all the surface details of GoT (see: nudity, peasants, gore), it just needs characters to match and a map that looks roughly like Westeros.

Have you seen the engine remake called "DaggerXL"? It's not finished yet but the work that's gone into it so far is rather impressive. The end result will hopefully allow people to make their own dungeons and import new elements into Daggerfall as well as more easily making mods for the game.
Video of the Illiac Bay area.

I have seen that, yes. I really like what I see from dungeon gameplay videos. The smoothed textures + higher resolution make it infinitely easier on the eyes. But that super-detailed bump mapped ground combined with those filtered tree sprites make me less enthused. I'm not sure if that's what they're going with or if they intend to add 3D trees, though.
I wouldn't put money on any of those projects getting finished. I know about another similar project that collapsed. There's just too much work involved in most projects like this to ever be finished. Here's a couple of screenshots from a previous attempt. This code is opensource and abandonware if anyone wants to play with it, it's free game, you can roam around a LOT, and it's very pretty.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:11:25 pm by Reelya »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: November 30, 2014, 05:09:48 pm »

There's a system a bit like this in Deus Ex 3, where you can read people's character types and learn how they'll react to things, or you can just make an intelligent guess. But this required framing every conversation option as differing levels of aggression/obsequiousness. Would you want the 'how people react' factor to be essentially arbitrary and differ from person to person, or be based on an underlying system (where people have different character-types etc.)?

Yeah, but DX:HR's pretty binary about it, IIRC. I like Alpha Protocol system, where the answer styles are preset, and matching the personality style of the person you talked to makes them respond favorably. But it's linear, locked to each character and the same every time you play, a bit of randomness to those, especially in RPGs for mooks, would be cool.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 01, 2014, 01:37:41 am »

I think it was "Into the Fire" which was eventually canceled.  I think "Ive Found Her" is a fan game.

I seem to remember that the Sierra developers open sourced the game engine from ITF, or maybe just leaked it?  IFH might be based on that.  Looking at the website ( http://ifhgame.ru/ ) it looks like it might be playable.
OH wow, I really wish that Into the Fire existed. It sounds awesome. Would invariably have been a crane-trash of Spore proportions, but it sounds great.   : (

In an ideal roleplaying game, how would people prefer diplomatic actions be handled?
I like the sound of a system where it basically always has the same handful of options, like Pool of Radiance(haughty, sly, nice...). But it procedurally generates the dialogue and effect based upon the character's traits. And the N.P.C.s do the same thing...

A WW2 shooter with a twist.

Basically your standard CoD shooter, (the old ones) but you don't respawn when you get killed. Instead you're treated to a first person view of your horrible death, got shot in the throat, you watch as you helplessly gush blood while the medic tries to help you, heck, maybe he will save you occassionaly, but not often, maybe you get badly hurt but survive, you watch as they rush you out to somewhere a bit safer.

The thing is, as you're dying/leaving you'll see a platoonmate near you, or someone else, someone will hold your hand maybe, when that happens you switch to that person, and then you continue fighting until it happens again. Then it happens again, and again, and again until the war is over.

Ideally you'd have downtime with your friends where you'd be treated to their backstories (this bit would be somewhat randomized I guess to allow a large number of deaths, but they'd get more and more similar as they kept dying) so that losing someone stings that much more. In the end, every problem will be solveable, it's just a matter of how many bodies you want to throw at it.

And once you beat it, you'll have a nice walk trough the credits, with the graves of the folks you lost around you.

So yeah, I'd like a fucking depressing FPS instead of the usual spunkgargleweewee fare we're getting, tho unlike Spec Ops it wouldn't be about the shitty stuff people do but about shitty stuff happening to people during the war, how in the end, that's fucking people down there in the dirt fighting for every blasted inch of whatever place.
I would like somethign similar, but you turn into the person who killed you. I could also dig it as a movie... It would skip all the hordes of people who didn't actually kill anyone though. Well, not entirely I suppose, there are plenty of accidents in war...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4749 on: December 02, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »

I want to be HAL 9000 or SHODAN, killing humans with "malfunctioning" equipment and secretly building an army of cyborg minions to storm the bridge and take control of the ship.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: December 02, 2014, 03:34:54 pm »

MGR:R.

Open World.

gameofthefuckingyear
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: December 03, 2014, 04:58:40 am »

I want to be HAL 9000 or SHODAN, killing humans with "malfunctioning" equipment and secretly building an army of cyborg minions to storm the bridge and take control of the ship.
Someone is making that!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141612.0

You get to play as a sentient AI and assume control of droids to explore the station. Apparently you can spike the food and all sorts.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4752 on: December 03, 2014, 07:53:26 pm »

Someone is making that!

You get to play as a sentient AI and assume control of droids to explore the station. Apparently you can spike the food and all sorts.
...Huh. Well I'm satisfied now I guess.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: December 04, 2014, 04:18:04 am »

Someone is making that!

It could be everything we've ever dreamed of...

blazing glory

« Reply #4754 on: December 04, 2014, 05:16:35 am »

Someone is making that!

It could be everything we've ever dreamed of...

Doesn't sound too much different from Dwarf Fortress actually.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 577