Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Stal's Armoury Pack [43.05] [Armoury v1.9]  (Read 59750 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.5a [40.14+]
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:44 am »

If you do make some kind of prehistoric gear pack that'd make my life easier.

And not to sound stupid (I'm not a weapon expert or anything,) but don't halberds already sorta-fill the role of poleaxe in DF?

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2014, 02:04:35 pm »

And not to sound stupid (I'm not a weapon expert or anything,) but don't halberds already sorta-fill the role of poleaxe in DF?

Well this is when weapon classifications get a little muddy. Quartz_Mace used the term "pollaxe" which means something entirely different and more vague than simply "poleaxe". All poleaxes are pollaxes but not all pollaxes are poleaxes. That is to say, the term "poleaxe" can most typically refer to an axehead mounted upon a pole, but the term "pollaxe" refers to any type of non-spear weapon head mounted upon a pole--but not a halberd or an axe; halberds and axes are specific classifications.

Regardless you still have a point: halberds in DF very well do fill in the role of a poleaxe, and there already exists a couple of two-handed blunt weapons to speak of.

It's worth noting that many weapon names and classifications are quite modern... and quite arbitrary, evidently. Especially when it comes to swords.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:06:31 pm by Stalhansch »

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2014, 06:57:01 pm »

True, such as the term "short sword" which only means a sword that happens to be short.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. I meant Pollaxe specifically. I really like their versatile use. You can hook and hack with the axe head, catch blades between the axe head and head spike, stab with the head spike, hook and perform blunt strikes with the hammer face opposite of the axe head, and stab with the point at the end of the haft. I always really liked the weapon because it provides a lot of versatility from a long range. I'd understand if you didn't add them, since you already have a lot of very detailed and specialized weapons, I was just wondering.

Also, what's your personal favorite sword type? I know it's a bit off topic, but I was just wondering.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2014, 12:13:14 am »

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. I meant Pollaxe specifically. I really like their versatile use. You can hook and hack with the axe head, catch blades between the axe head and head spike, stab with the head spike, hook and perform blunt strikes with the hammer face opposite of the axe head, and stab with the point at the end of the haft. I always really liked the weapon because it provides a lot of versatility from a long range. I'd understand if you didn't add them, since you already have a lot of very detailed and specialized weapons, I was just wondering.

Also, what's your personal favorite sword type? I know it's a bit off topic, but I was just wondering.

In truth, a pollaxe did once exist during the pre-release stage of my mod. I had difficulties balancing it, as it turned out to be a bit too effective. That is when I decided to break weapons down for variety and the pollaxe eventually manifested as the axehammer instead, which is still perhaps a weapon that is also too effective. I may re-include the pollaxe and similar weapons in a later release as an option. Though, going along with the idea of themed packs, I may create a late-medieval pack that includes more advanced weaponry.

As for my favourite sword type, I'd have to say migration period and early-medieval nordic pieces--or more colloquially, "viking" swords--for the variety of ways their hilts are shown to be decorated and designed. I also have a fondness for the look of traditionally pattern welded blades.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.6 [40.14+]
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2014, 06:48:09 pm »

Version 1.6 out.

Temporary fix for ranged weapons shooting faster than intended. Still working on something better.

I'm laying down some stonework for themed packs, as mentioned before.

Stoneage pack is being attempted first, but testing stone weapons has proven to be difficult, as stone doesn't seem to show up in the testing arena. A work-around has been to just list the stone material in the inorganic_metal.txt with appropriate values, but it's a hassle. It may be a while yet.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Pack v1.6 [40.14+]
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »

Version 1.7 out.

Fixed a few oversights.

Stoneage pack is being attempted first, but testing stone weapons has proven to be difficult, as stone doesn't seem to show up in the testing arena. A work-around has been to just list the stone material in the inorganic_metal.txt with appropriate values, but it's a hassle. It may be a while yet.
Didn't take as long as anticipated. Prehistoric Pack now available, but requires a lot of testing and thought.

mrmistophelees

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Packs [40.14+] [Armoury v1.7] [Prehistoric v1.0]
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2015, 11:23:49 pm »

Does your mod require a newly generated world in order to benefit from the extra armory?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Packs [40.14+] [Armoury v1.7] [Prehistoric v1.0]
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2015, 11:34:48 pm »

Does your mod require a newly generated world in order to benefit from the extra armory?

It's all new stuff so I would assume so.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stal's Armoury Packs [40.14+] [Armoury v1.7] [Neolithic *U1]
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2015, 11:59:29 pm »

Huge update for the Prehistoric pack--now called Neolithic. It started off as a small mod but quickly became a monster as I continued working on it. It might even warrant its own thread soon.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 02:02:14 pm »

Huge update for the Prehistoric pack--now called Neolithic. It started off as a small mod but quickly became a monster as I continued working on it. It might even warrant its own thread soon.
The humans don't have any entity positions which means you can't make a military, and many other things.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »

Hi, I'm new to Dwarf Fortress in general, and not especially experienced with modding it but I was browsing the mod threads and when I saw what all was included in this pack, I knew I just had to have it.

I do have a question, though. Where, exactly, do I put it? I'm talking specifically about Stal's Armoury 1.7 here, not the Neolithic pack. As the download is a bunch of loose files, I haven't a clue what folder I'm supposed to stick them in.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2015, 06:30:26 pm »

Hi, I'm new to Dwarf Fortress in general, and not especially experienced with modding it but I was browsing the mod threads and when I saw what all was included in this pack, I knew I just had to have it.

I do have a question, though. Where, exactly, do I put it? I'm talking specifically about Stal's Armoury 1.7 here, not the Neolithic pack. As the download is a bunch of loose files, I haven't a clue what folder I'm supposed to stick them in.

Thanks in advance for the help.

First, welcome to the game and forum, second, just drop the loose files in the raws folder and gen a new world.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2015, 08:06:23 pm »

More specifically: DwarfFortress/Raw/Objects folder.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ulfgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:51 pm »

First, welcome to the game and forum, second, just drop the loose files in the raws folder and gen a new world.

More specifically: DwarfFortress/Raw/Objects folder.

Excellent. I figured it was something simple, but I was hesitant to drop them in the wrong place and somehow screw everything up. Wouldn't have been the first time I've done something like that.

I very much appreciate the help.  :D

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:51 pm »

I've had several hardware malfunctions since December, but, I'll be getting back to this soon enough.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10