Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500217 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #795 on: June 24, 2014, 01:27:34 pm »

I am very confused by something my laptop is doing.
It won't recognise or play sound through any ear/headphones I plug into the audio jack. Though it will recongise that something is in there and mute the speakers. I've tried all the usual things; reinstalling drivers, Windows updates, turning it off and back on again, but none of that fixed it. Actually looking at it seems to think that the jack on the side of the laptop is still outputting to the speakers, and I don't know why it would be doing that.

Thing is though, it all works fine when I boot Ubuntu on the same laptop. So it's not a hardware problem.

halp i am not good at computer
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #796 on: June 24, 2014, 01:36:21 pm »

Does your computer do two separate volume settings for seaker and headphones? I know mine does.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 24, 2014, 01:39:32 pm »

Does your computer do two separate volume settings for seaker and headphones? I know mine does.
I don't think it does, but even if it did, it's just not recognising that there is an audio device in the audio jack. No notification, nothing in the sound section of the control panel, nothing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 24, 2014, 01:50:39 pm »

Did you try right-clicking the volume button and then clicking on "Playback Devices" in the menu that pops up?
That's usually where I have to fiddle to make new headphones work.

I need some advice of myself.
I've been setting up a small server for myself with SSH and a webserver.
The problem is that, even though this is just for me, I also want it to be accesible from the internet.

HOWEVER, most of the default ports (HTTP, SSH) seem to be below 1023, and I can only forward ports from 1024 and above on the control panel that my internet provider gives me.
This makes things very annoying because I'll have to tell everyone "you have to type :3000 behind the domain name to connect else it won't work"
Is there any way around this?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:53:35 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 24, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »

Did you try right-clicking the volume button and then clicking on "Playback Devices" in the menu that pops up?
That's usually where I have to fiddle to make new headphones work.
Yes, many times. Windows just doesn't register the headphones being plugged in, regardless of which headphones they are (I've tried three).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 24, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

Have you tried restarting to see if windows will pick them up then?
Also, this is the headphone jack, not a microphone jack, right?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23:41 pm »

Have you tried restarting to see if windows will pick them up then?
Also, this is the headphone jack, not a microphone jack, right?
1: Many restarts, no different. Windows still consistently fails to pick up on the headphones
2: Definitely is, although neither one works

EDIT: Okay after reinstalling the audio drivers yet again I can get Windows to acknowledge when I've plugged/unplugged something into the audio jack. Still doesn't detect the device and will try and play through the speakers though.

EDIT2: Okay, Windows is now fixed after reinstalling drivers a whole load more times and running some more Windows updates. I have no idea why it worked this time but hey, I'm not complaining if the magic box decides to work.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 05:48:19 am by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »

Anyone know how much speed I'm going to lose if I go through a VPN? I'm on a 30Mb package now, with 3.6MB peak downloads.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 24, 2014, 09:36:58 pm »

Depends on the router/switch on the other side, along with wiring and traffic on said wires.  Also dependent upon the encryption used on the VPN tunnel, though that's not too terrible since there's a bunch of VoIP calls made on encrypted tunnels all the time now anyway.

I doubt it will be a very big thing; depends on the amount of security you're wanting to put on there, along with the hardware on the other side.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 28, 2014, 08:11:37 am »

So does anyone know if its possible to use gifs as wallpaper/desktop image?

Specifically hours long gifs that usually look just like the unsuspecting persons normal desktop image and then for a few seconds turn into a smile.jpg or similarly creepy image.

I want to make someone think their computer is literally haunted.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:51 am »

So does anyone know if its possible to use gifs as wallpaper/desktop image?

Specifically hours long gifs that usually look just like the unsuspecting persons normal desktop image and then for a few seconds turn into a smile.jpg or similarly creepy image.

I want to make someone think their computer is literally haunted.
Well on a cursory search I found this program that claims to be able to set animated gifs as the desktop background, this looks to be a tool from them that does only that as well. The website looks a bit sketchily cheap but you can't expect much from a website for a free thing, and there doesn't seem to be anyone complaining about it being secretly malware so I'd say it's legit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 28, 2014, 10:35:08 am »

Depends on the router/switch on the other side, along with wiring and traffic on said wires.  Also dependent upon the encryption used on the VPN tunnel, though that's not too terrible since there's a bunch of VoIP calls made on encrypted tunnels all the time now anyway.

I doubt it will be a very big thing; depends on the amount of security you're wanting to put on there, along with the hardware on the other side.
Be warned though do not use a wireless connection unless you got a beefy wifi. VPNs will crawl if you got a crappy/slow connection.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 28, 2014, 11:03:48 am »

Be warned though do not use a wireless connection unless you got a beefy wifi. VPNs will crawl if you got a crappy/slow connection.

Am hardlined into 100/1000 router. Should do it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 28, 2014, 07:40:41 pm »

I have two issues. One, Flash objects(Youtube video, flash games) will not load in Internet Explorer, except for a few things. Youtube and Kongregate definitely do not work.

The other issue is with Chrome and Orbit downloader. Although Orbit works for file downloads in Chrome, none of its bits that download Flash objects work. Orbit apparently doesn't detect anything. Orbit works fine for IE, however, for those few things that do work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 28, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »

Have you updated Flash? (and aren't blocking flash objects with some sort of plugin or activex)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 348