Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 104062 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #750 on: July 17, 2022, 10:06:12 pm »

Thanks, hope things continue to go aight here. To get back on track...

Are naval warships in any of the versions of Cataclysm?

There's a military amphibious lander in both versions if I recall, the DUKW or something like that? Other than that, not much. I've been tempted to add something in that vein to Tankmod: Revived but I've yet to find a type of boat to base it off of that is:
1. Reasonably common in US Navy use in terms of number made. At least 50 made, ideally 100+
2. Has at least one 25mm autocannon in its listed armament since that's what I'd want it to help showcase, maybe 30mm if I'm willing to split the autocannon into 25mm and 30mm like I have for 105mm vs. 120mm, but it's hard to justify doing that since 105mm is already only really excused because there's just barely enough different sorts of armored vehicles in the mod to excuse the split.
3. Is small enough that the player would be reasonably justified in being able to crew, and so that a realistic-looking mockup of it in the vehicle system won't look way too huge to be able to travel by river.

Even patrol boats seem likely to fall afoul of problems 1 and 3, Mark IVs for example have 25mm autocannons so no need to worry about ammo split, but quick wiki-fu says there's only 12 of them and they're big enough to have a crew of 10. So even patrol boat size is pushing the limits of what might be reasonable to drop in the player's lap and expect to treat as a floating deathmobile.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 17, 2022, 11:25:37 pm »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_United_States_Coast_Guard

Based on that, best bet here for a naval addition to Tankmod Revived is looking to be the Sentinel class, since it's a cutter in active service, with 25mm guns, and while it says only 40 have been made the page does say a total 64 are planned.

So if I made its vehicle mockup consistent with the size of most of the vehicles in Tankmod Revived, we'd be looking at 55-60 tiles long and about 15 tiles wide.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 18, 2022, 12:48:05 am »

(removed much of the ~July 3 drama as it was continuing to cause problems elsewhere)

Hmm, I'm curious where. :/
I thought all of that was over and done with why are people getting weird about it still, and I think that's the first time the Toad altered one of my posts.

Also I thought the problem with adding big boats was the lack of multi Z-level vehicles?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 18, 2022, 01:28:47 am »

Also I thought the problem with adding big boats was the lack of multi Z-level vehicles?

That's part of it, though you could hypothetically mock up a layout that looks good enough in 2D to work (like how Tankmod Revived has to make do without actually having top-mounted hatches). The other problem however is definitely going to be that a realistic-sized cutter, or even a good number of realistic-sized patrol boats, will be far too long to handle traveling along a river.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 18, 2022, 04:03:11 am »

How big would a realistic sized cutter be, and speaking of rivers I don't think a paddle steamer would fit in the rivers in this game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 18, 2022, 05:38:29 am »

I heard 0.H experimentals (i.e after 0.G comes out) will have multi-Z vehicles.

How big would a realistic sized cutter be, and speaking of rivers I don't think a paddle steamer would fit in the rivers in this game.
One overmap tile is 24 in-game tiles, it'd fit. Note that vehicle tiles are inflated somewhat, but it should still fit despite vehicle tiles being at a 0.25m scale instead of an 1m scale.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 18, 2022, 05:53:18 am »

With multi-z level vehicles, it will be time for a Bagger 288 to shine.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 18, 2022, 10:18:21 am »

Quick wiki search says the Sentinel-class is 154 feet long and 26.6 feet wide. Like I said earlier, if I made those roughly proportionate the other vehicles on Tankmod Revived, we're looking at 55-60 tiles long for a Sentinel-class cutter.

Maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 tiles long if I based it off the Island-class cutter instead (110 feet), but that's the one being replaced with the Sentinel.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 19, 2022, 02:12:41 am »

That's not as big as I thought it would be.

I think the biggest vehicle I made in game was as wide as a road and longer than a bus, if I remember right it was bigger than a house.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 19, 2022, 11:35:47 am »

Yeah, you can definitely get way crazier. Just that's probably the upper limit for anything that's expected to stay water-bound unmodified.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 19, 2022, 12:33:30 pm »

The Bagger 288!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 20, 2022, 01:28:09 am »

So will there be a limit to how tall you can make stuff or will I finally be able to build a cathedral on wheels?

Also when we getting the ability to walk on the roofs of cars?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 20, 2022, 04:13:03 am »

The Bagger 288!

:D
This made me look at the wikipedia entry to check its length and height, only to notice that there's a Bagger 293 that look the same but is very slightly longer and heavier than the 288.
With some tweak, it would make for a magnificent machine of total zombie destruction.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 20, 2022, 10:34:49 am »

Wait, is someone actually on 3D vehicles, or is this a wishlist thing since naval vehicles got brought up and they'd benefit from them the most? o.O
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 20, 2022, 12:48:18 pm »

If 3D vehicles become supported you can be sure people will have tall mobile fortresses moving around :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 12:49:52 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 73