Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Ships of Brass (SG)  (Read 3851 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Ships of Brass (SG)
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2021, 11:02:33 pm »

Can we dump some of the munitions (taking a hit on our profit for this run) as a sort of makeshift minefield as we run?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 02:09:02 am »

Could we let them aboard, lead them into a room and lock the doors, and then space them through an airlock?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2021, 02:21:00 am »

Could we let them aboard, lead them into a room and lock the doors, and then space them through an airlock?
I like the sound of this but would we be okay if they started shooting at us while inside or would that damage the ship?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2021, 02:43:59 am »

Good point, there probably would be some risk of damage if they figure things out.  We could be outwardly cooperative and hope to surprise them before they know what's happening.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2021, 04:38:30 pm »

You really think they wouldn't keep at least two sets of eyes on us, with their weapons drawn, once they enter?
Trying subterfuge while outnumbered, even on your own ship, is rather difficult. Even then, say we succeed - their ship is still a threat, one that would now try to kill us for real out of revenge.

(Not seeing an easy way out of this one, but the current plan doesn't sit well with me is all)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 04:00:44 am »

Can we dump some of the munitions (taking a hit on our profit for this run) as a sort of makeshift minefield as we run?
This one might work then.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2021, 08:30:21 pm »

This one might work then.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 07:32:10 pm »

What does everyone think of the updates so far? Do you like the writing style? Is there anything that should be changed?

After thinking to yourself for a bit, you get a risky and reckless idea. No, scratch that. You get an awesome idea.

First, the deception.

"Absolutely. Why don't you come over here, and then you can pick something out?"

When you confirm they start steaming towards you, you put your idea into action. You walk to the hold and look at the munitions. Your eye catches on a pallet of large artillery shells. Perfect. It's a little work getting them out of the very careful way they were tied down, but you manage it. Then you get back to the cockpit and watch the pirate on the scope. Then, when they're close enough, you strike.

"You want my cargo? Here's my cargo!"

You blow the hatch, and at the same time start flooring it. The sudden change in pressure causes the shells to rocket out of the hold, right into the interceptor's face. The shells then detonate, throwing your ship away violently. The explosion took a nasty gouge out of the tailfin. Fortunately, the pirates don't seem to be in a position to pursue you - the explosion damaged their ship considerably. As you run away as fast as you can, the pirate ship turns and fires a round of their weapons into your fleeing rear, further damaging your tail and engines. The damage compromises the handling of the ship, making getting into the current challenging.

Your next few hours are a massive pain. There isn't much to do while in the current, but flying the damaged ship without undershooting your target is its own Hell. After getting into the system, you limp into Hoilia's port with all the grace of a stumbling drunk.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2021, 05:08:50 am »

Well I guess we should get out and survey the damages and see whats needed to fix it.

I feel the outcome was worth it as losing a little of the cargo and taking some damage isn't as bad as losing all of the cargo and possibly our lives.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2021, 05:27:01 am »

Yeah, let's assess the damage first.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 03:07:36 am »

Well I guess we should get out and survey the damages and see whats needed to fix it.

I feel the outcome was worth it as losing a little of the cargo and taking some damage isn't as bad as losing all of the cargo and possibly our lives.

+1
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2021, 04:07:14 pm »

+1

+1 will duct tape be enough
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2021, 04:08:30 pm »

will duct tape be enough
Maybe, but it wasn't invented until 1940-something.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2021, 04:39:31 pm »

Depending on precisely what you mean (check the chequered history of duck-/duct-tapes), it was anywhere between the  late 19thC (fits the Space: 1889ness) to 1970s (firmly prior to Real World development of æther-propulsion, as it hasn't happened yet).

Regardless, I think we probably have enough scope to have some quick-repair tech entirely standard for a typical Gibson/Stering style of steampunk setting.

(The space suit we use to access the outsides will doubtless be of the solid Brass Diving Helmet and leather/canvas suit variety, as well, which will naturally have strong and rugged material, made airtight by vulcanised infusions at least across the seams. I think the basic methods exist and surely are tried and tested through familiarity with the elements (or lack of them) we find ourselves exposed to.)

...but that's just my thinking. I would defer to the whims of the GM entirely! ;)

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2021, 07:40:13 pm »

You're not a mechanic by any means, but nevertheless, you have some skill in identifying problems. You decide to take a look at the fin yourself, once you are in the womb of the port's docking bay. While looking at the mechanisms of the tailfin, you count three out of five steam lines severed. which neatly explains the control problems. It is entirely possible to use the system without repairing a thing, as your jaunt from the pirate's system proves, but this is something you are not thrilled about, to say the least. You also find some superficial damage to the propellers, no doubt caused by the pirate firing at your rump as you fled. You could get someone with more of a mechanical aptitude to repair it for you, or wrap the lines in some duck tape and let that be the end of it.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5