Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 71603 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #375 on: December 03, 2010, 09:23:37 am »

I thought 4 was best in the series, followed by 2.  I found myself disappointed by 3.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2010, 10:13:58 am »

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Steam is selling four map packs for Civ 5 at 3 dollars a piece or all four for 10 bucks.  So um... yeah, I guess this is great news if you love micro transactions.

Oh, EA, see what your folly has brought into this world. Civilization becoming a micro-transaction game. I hope they don't start making new nations and charging for them.
*cough* Babylon *cough*
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Ateraan

• Bay Watcher
  • TORG-Text Only Roleplaying Game
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2010, 12:36:21 pm »

Was over at my nephews house and watched him play Civ IV (I think). I'm an old hack and played the original Civilization back in the 90's. It kept me entertained for a few months but I never could win. Until I cracked it of course.  ;)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2010, 03:00:48 am »

Woo, Awesome update fixs a lot of the problems the game had.
Makes it a lot harder to exploit the AI in combat.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2010, 03:01:02 pm »

I wish I was smart enough to exploit the AI.

One of my more recent games went pretty good, for a while. I took out my nearest neighbor early on, then, all at once, 5 computers declared war on me. I fought everyone off losing only one city, made peace, and started to rebuild.

A few hundered years later history repeated itself, and I was soundly defeated.

I am looking forward to firing up the game again. I think part of my problem in that game was my reluctance to annex enemy cities. I had so many and regularly suffered from gross unhappyness. I also didn't have enough trading posts, and ended up bankrupt.

Come to think of it, that game sucked.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2010, 05:46:45 pm »

Civ 4 is $5 on Gamersgate.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 05, 2011, 04:12:19 am »

I didn't really like Civ5 much. The non-stacking mechanics were a nice idea, if pretty poorly implemented (how the hell am I meant to get troops past other troops blocking a place? Are you saying they can't WALK AROUND ONE ANOTHER?!) but the hexes, whilst giving nice looking terrain, were just plain stupid. In Civ4, you, roughly, had octogonal terrain that tessalated with squares. It was easy to work out just from glancing at it how far you could travel. In Civ5, because of hexes, not so much.

I'm torn on the other mechanics changes. Namely the dumbing down of 99% of the gameplay. I liked how game effecting some decisions were, but most were still absolutely useless.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 10, 2011, 08:40:32 am »

I didn't really like Civ5 much. The non-stacking mechanics were a nice idea, if pretty poorly implemented (how the hell am I meant to get troops past other troops blocking a place? Are you saying they can't WALK AROUND ONE ANOTHER?!)

All units, even your warriors have 2 movement, and they can walk through their bodies so long as movement ends on an empty space. Unless you're clogging a peninsula, it's not actually an issue.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #383 on: January 10, 2011, 06:36:06 pm »

The ONLY time I had traffic issues was with a narrow pass between mountains, and even that wasn't too hard.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 11, 2011, 06:51:00 pm »

The ONLY time I had traffic issues was with a narrow pass between mountains, and even that wasn't too hard.

Ditto. I think this is actually one of the best features in the game. You actually have to PLAN how you organize your troops around a town. I lost a war once because I moved my siege weapons too close and they got taken in the first turn. I couldn't get anyone else in to defend them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #385 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42:04 am »

It also makes paratroopers super useful

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 17, 2011, 06:51:49 am »

Got this in the sale.

Is it just me, or are there some severe balance issues between civs? A unit will never be as useful as a building in this game since units come and go and most of the unique units really aren't all that strong. Like Alexander / Greece. Why, in a competitive game, would you play as Greece?

Hmm... Do buffs from being a certain unit type carry over? That might make being the Spanish (who are otherwise a "roll the dice to see if you win" civ) actually useful. I doubt it, though.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 17, 2011, 07:26:05 am »

Some unique units keep their advantages while being upgraded. Mandekalu Cavalry and Cho-Ko-Nu comes to mind. (Artillery with two attacks? Yes please.)
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 27, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »

Arise from the dead, and declare your new hotseat capability.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 11, 2011, 05:47:34 am »

This game is -75% on steam right now! 12,50€! I recommend it for any fan of strategy games.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 43