Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]  (Read 163615 times)

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ravens are murder. [SPOILERS]
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2015, 08:13:59 pm »

Is it not the inevitable fate of successful fortresses that all threats become mundane?
Now that you mention it I'm seeing it! Sure the caverns and rampway are still 100% pure death but I mean, the last elf siege I didn't even suspend any aboveground work or mobilize any soldiers. It has become part of the routine to put a bolt in a dead thing and carry on.

When death comes to this Fortress my money is on it coming by disease or fire.
Or the grinding attrition of time. God damn necromancers have the patience of eternity. Sazir can quite literally wait for my Dwarves to age to death to attain victory.

Whatever its end, I'm sure it will be bloody glorious.

What is the Moose pit, by the way? I've been wondering ever since it was mentioned.

And I also wonder if there's any way to not make sieges trivial. Perhaps going back to Orcs with Steel is the key...
The silver is responsible for this How?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2015, 10:39:31 am »

Jeez, you have one-eyed brutes too? So do I! And sleet demons, though they're called sleet haunts here.

You should do a report on the demons you have there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »

Jeez, you have one-eyed brutes too? So do I! And sleet demons, though they're called sleet haunts here.
You should do a report on the demons you have there.

All the clowns from the HFS: (I don't remember much about any of them).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The rest:

One-eyed brutes - Giant one-eyed tarantulas with wings, they spew webs everywhere and are a horrible mess to deal with. Generally not a big deal, in groups they can be a pain. With the help of other clowns, they become very lethal.
Sleet Demon - Catch them, they are giant quadruped snowmen who are glass cannons capable of killing anything up until you bisect them with a stick. They make good guests and garden pieces.
Shrew Demon - RUN AWAY NOW, FOR THEIR NOXIOUS FUMES ARE CHEMICAL WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION

Whatever its end, I'm sure it will be bloody glorious.
What is the Moose pit, by the way? I've been wondering ever since it was mentioned.
And I also wonder if there's any way to not make sieges trivial. Perhaps going back to Orcs with Steel is the key...
It started off with just a pit dug into the ground, then the Dwarves built a stone wall around it. Then they gave a roof over the pit. Fortifications were then built on the pit, with a guardtower watching over those fortifications to ward off any fliers. Then a dome was built over that guard tower and the fortifications. Then a tower was built over the dome.
The tower is the final addition, though it is incomplete. The ditch around it was filled with magma.

It was named the Moose Pit for two reasons, I can't remember which was the main one. Near the Moose Pit, when there used to be a great big forest of dead trees where the undead wildlife roamed around looking for warm blooded things, Muthkat (for back then he was no baron, merely a simple soldier) was alone and all out of bolts. He was attacked by a great undead moose and in a legendary battle fought it for the future of the Fortress. The details are sketchy but what is certain is that he won, crashing his crossbow through the beast. Muthkat left the battle missing some teeth but alive, saving the outpost. The other reason is that the Pit itself was used to house a great many undead critters, with a large portion of its inhabitants being Moose in some shape, limb or form.
In the beginning of the Fort's construction there was considerably less room for comfort, as its survival balanced on the brink of destruction. One of the first casualties of the Fort was the practice of owning pets. All pets were thrown in the Moose pit, to what extent the migrants knew of this practice is unknown. Many pets were merely recorded as missing. Pets dying within the Fortress were a serious security risk back then, so it was very much a necessary measure.

For storage reasons other undead were thrown in there. It also became increasingly entertaining to sacrifice things to the moose pit, or use it to execute captured goblins or kobolds. There would always be that brief moment where the goblin hit the ground, and it would take a second for all of the denizens in the pit to realize fresh meat had arrived.
Necromancer goblin execution pit... Start with a pit, caged necromancer at the bottom. Drop goblins in. Dump a few corpses. Let the goblins fight the corpses, which reanimate constantly until the goblins are overwhelmed.
Loud whispers already made that. Called it the moose pit. Look it up.
A blast from the past
Only, no Necromancer was needed - the corpses naturally reanimated. Some of the goblins were real fighters, trying to survive for as long as possible. All good things had to end eventually however, as I ran out of prisoners and worse still - the sheer amount of undead within the pit was preventing new animals from appearing, no doubt wary of approaching a Fortress so thoroughly infested with undead. It was after one particularly bold necromancer attack (one which was actually led by necromancers) that I decided now was the time to do something about the Moose Pit (as the entire Fortress military had been mobilized, even the were-civets).
I can remember a few things in particular about the cleansing of the Moose Pit.
The first is giving the order to open the gates that held the undead within. The second was the frenetic bloodbath that ensued as Dwarves wielding an array of weapons fought an array of undead, bloodied peacocks charging alongside moose and horse.
The third thing I remember was that bloody peacock. Quite literally, it was a peacock whose corpse was in such good condition that you'd believe it wasn't dead were it not for the fact that its throat was cut open and vomiting blood in perpetuity. That is an image from DF that will certainly not be forgotten for long. The fourth was that the kitchens were busy that night, and many Dwarves may have unknowingly found their pets were delicious - they remain missing to this day.

The Dwarves of Silentthunders are now very civilized, engaging in conversation over some fine river spirits underneath a crystal dome surrounded by freshwater fish swimming by, or sparring atop a sky-riser looking down on fields of paved limestone... But their parents? They were completely bonkers. That's the only way I can rationalize many of the things that happened in the old days. Then again the new generation have gladiatorial games so I'm not sure if they've really "civilized" or just rebranded the old crazy.
Even now as the Dwarves build a great monument atop the Moose Pit, the Moose Pit Tower - shuffling beneath it are 4 moose corpses, a huge one-eyed scorpion, a three-eyed tarantula missing three legs, a gigantic tick that has seen better days and a huge scaly flatworm whose only damage is a bruised brain, making it the most well-preserved megabeast corpse the Fortress has in its possession.

*EDIT
Urvad Bookoracle died in hospital. Alas, poor Urist.
*EDITx2
I found an old post I made on the Moose Pit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:22:21 pm by Loud Whispers »

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:39 pm »

I just want to sig half of the things you've written here.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2015, 11:09:25 am »

I just want to sig half of the things you've written here.

Indeed.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2015, 12:53:21 pm »

PTW

I understand your relationship with ravens Loud,i have similar issues with Unicorns stemming from the Exile Trilogy games

i wonder if there is a taxidermy mod,that and MDFs "decoration" work shops,we could have Raven or unicorn coat racks
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »

PTW

I understand your relationship with ravens Loud,i have similar issues with Unicorns stemming from the Exile Trilogy games

i wonder if there is a taxidermy mod,that and MDFs "decoration" work shops,we could have Raven or unicorn coat racks

We really need a bones to bone blocks reaction.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2015, 04:08:26 pm »

We really need a bones to bone blocks reaction.

That should be easy to mod, except I don't see the tokens to use bones as a reagent.  You probably need some combination of tags to get it. 

There is a tag for corpses though, you could just make blocks out of the corpses.  And frankly, that makes more sense. 

Quick guess:

EDIT:
Looked around, and I saw this on the Modding forum:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 05:06:44 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 19, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »

Mwahahaha!

demon corpse walls in hell!

08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Jazzeraint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 19, 2015, 05:32:09 pm »

My hero~

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2015, 04:05:13 pm »

Mwahahaha!

demon corpse walls in hell!

That's pretty metal. I'll have to try that out sometime!
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2015, 04:33:59 pm »

Oh yeah, LW, I remember what I was going to ask you a few days ago.

GIMME THAT FUCKING SAVE YOU TWATWAFFLE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2015, 06:26:41 pm »

The Forgotten Beast was a great big monstrous mite. This titanic parasite had engorged itself upon the blood of untold numbers of creatures in the depths, many of which must certainly now be extinct. So much blood of so many coursed through its veins that the great mite's blood itself consisted of a great concoction of toxins and parasites, the mite had become a walking cauldron of disease.
It had seen its fair share of fights in its time but its final fight would come when it emerged from the waters of lake Budam into the light at the end of the tunnel. This light carried the orange glow of a magma pipe... Only with something else, the blinding radiance of the sun - terrifyingly piercing to its dark adjusted eyes.
It tread past curiously large silk traps right into the corpse of Reksas Ulthush, an enormous scaly crab and the fell web spinner Siga. The giant mite took offence to them and killed them both very dead.
The giant mite approached the causeway, at last gaining sight of the world above, the world ready for its terrifying presence - unfortunately for the mite, a third megabeast corpse would take it down and rip off its trunk. Though the mite would eventually be victorious, it would also die - mortally wounded. A coral beast would then try to assault the 3rd platform, itself dying. Perhaps some of them have fallen into the magma sea as I believe there should be more of them there.
All the same, the undead megabeasts are proving to be a formidable defence against megabeasts.

In other news, I got quite the sensible chuckle when I found Asob trying to sleep whilst pestered by four of her children. She's learned how to be a heavy sleeper.

I've replaced the reaction raws that make plaster out of gypsum with the ones to make corpse blocks out of corpses, time will tell if things work as intended. There will have to be some finnicky new workshop placements or stockpiles to make sure the Dwarves don't accidentally get rid of useful corpses and only turn demon corpses into wall supports.
As for saves, I'll think about it. I'm very protective of my saves :P

*On a related note, does anyone know a way to reduce the size of my save? The problem with stonesense failing to run is that the Fort or save is too big. I've made copies where I destroyed all the items but that doesn't seem to be enough. How would I clear the dead/missing list, and what else could reduce the size at least enough to get stonesense working on the surface? I've considered using tiletypes to fill in/designate as hidden the entire underground world in a copy just to do this.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2015, 06:36:17 pm »

Most of the size of your save is history, I believe.

Try using revflood on the surface. But I kind of want a save with all the stuff revealed, ya know?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 20, 2015, 06:37:33 pm »

Pretty awesome update. How many FBs do you have? DO you gen worlds with hundreds or something  :D
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32