Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2127725 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4830 on: August 03, 2011, 03:27:29 pm »

Finding out that drawbridges break when trying to crush a squad of mounted sieger.

Or clowns. Or any building destroying monster.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: August 03, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »

Finding out that drawbridges break when trying to crush a squad of mounted sieger.

It's not building destroying creatures, but creatures over a certain size.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: August 03, 2011, 05:43:02 pm »

It's not building destroying creatures, but creatures over a certain size.

Well. The more you know.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #4833 on: August 03, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »

Turns out, wells desalinate water.
I'll need an actual desalination system (I like to think of pumps as having filters that remove salt.) later, once that glitch is fixed.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: August 03, 2011, 10:41:13 pm »

Well. . . .thats odd. Maybe the wells have some sort of weird repulsion effect on salt :P

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #4835 on: August 03, 2011, 10:42:39 pm »

Or they have filters in them too. Since mobs can get through them though, that would mean Dwarven engineering causes the filter to only function if water is passing through. And somehow the bucket and rope go through the filter as well.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: August 04, 2011, 03:42:32 am »

I forgot about water pressure. yeah
http://postimage.org/image/1d3n16nr8/

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: August 04, 2011, 05:35:26 am »

Been a while since I've played DF and i've forgotten what most of the levers in Knifemurders do (well, which lever in group x affects nearby object y).  Considering most are tied to power, water channeling and the pumpstack; this could end in !Fun!.

wraiith303

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:05 am »

I have never had a fort that lasts long enough to reach economy since I ussually abandon before i get there, because I am rather a perfectionist when it comes to DF (I know its crazy dwarfy to try and run a "perfect" fort when dwarves are involved)

To give you an Idea:

Example Problem:
I DETEST multi coloured floors/walls
Example Solution:
cheats like reveal and liquid to place convenient obsidian walls where needed for the rest of us who are less rainbow inclined

After many abandoned fortresses due to stuff not being "perfect" I finally found a suitable spot to my liking to embark, built my essential buildings in the soft clay layer which can conveniently be channeled away to leave behind only my final fortress.

So I have this epic entrance way carved out of solid obsidian, smoothed and engraved consisting of an entrance portal with pillars and planned to include floor mosaic of gold and silver. the portal is connected to this huge chasm, about 70 squares long, and about 20 wide. the chasm is 4z levels deep and has 3 5x5 "pillars" in the middle with bridges connecting the front portal to pillar, to pillar, to pillar, to back portal, each 10 squares (max) length. The back portal is also decorated with smaller pillars and statues (Everything, wall, floors etc made of obsidian) then the back portal has the entrance to the "great obsidian staircase" going down in a perfect twisting circle for about 80z levels then twists and gets to my actual entrance, an convenient underground "volcano". so now I have this elegant arched deck built from obsidian at the "obsidian way's" exit and a 20square bridge (a bridge from each side connecting to each other) to the otherside of the "volcano" (yes the deck has pillars and more statues) and a 27z level drop from the bridge before you hit the magma down below. I started planning my very aesthetically pleasing bedroom designs, great dining room with pillars... statues - yes and a "bathing pool", more mosiac art and so forth.

Back to the point:
Now I wanted to read up on the wiki to see what my dwarves will need for the shops and economy so I can plan my marketplace/mall in advance to match the rest of the epicness going around, and realized - DF2010 doesnt have an economy anymore.... .... .... ... .. . and I was really looking forward to FINALLY get an economy going for the first time now that I had a fortress that wouldnt bore me from lack of epicness dwarfishness.

Urist McDFPlayer cancels fort construction: Job interest misplaced due to lack of economy

I can see the elves and humans walking over the great clearglass/steel/gold bridge, over great mosaic floors, past masterwork engravings, statues, going 80z levels down in the everwinding engraved obsidian staircase, reaching the volcano, crossing it, into the great entrance hallway of dwarfish might, and unloading their puny and seemingly less significant tradecrafts while admiring the masterfully crafted obsidian doors leading to the surely even greater fortress below! While behind the doors the dwarves are all crammed together in three barren stone rooms, the last constructions before the lead architect got taken by a fey mood and left the fortress muttering something about waste of time. Atleast they can PRETEND to outsiders-that-arent-allowed-to-pass-into-the-inner-fort that they live in a true dwarven city that songs can be sung of!

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: August 04, 2011, 08:49:41 am »

My current fort has numerous defensive measures in place to defeat the chaos warriors that frequently invade. These include a pressure washer that blasts enemies into my caverns, a dropaway bridge into a pit filled with bees, an array of cage and weapon traps, and a hallway filled with repeating upright steel spikes.            After the latest invasion (of gobbos) was sent packing, I let my dwarves out of the fort to collect the goblinite. I left for a few minutes and came back to a scene of horrible carnage: I had left the repeating spike trap on repeat and it had killed and maimed 90 dwarves (and counting) as they rushed out to loot corpses. Lesson learned. My fort of 180 dwarves descended into a tantrum spiral and was later wiped out by chaos warriors as nobody was able to man the spike trap XD.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #4840 on: August 04, 2011, 12:27:42 pm »

I have never had a fort that lasts long enough to reach economy
Economy is disabled...

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:11 pm »

I forgot about water pressure. yeah
http://postimage.org/image/1d3n16nr8/

my poor eyesight registered the text at the bottom as "Water is upon you" for a second.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »

Bleargh!!!

Just sent my full militia out to fight some invaders, forgot to switch from wooden training swords to real metal...
Oh well, the traps did get the goblins after they slaugthered 17 good soldiers and their war dogs.

It did help my fps a bit though lol.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:56 pm »

Legendary Marksdwarf militia commander is out on the walls picking off goblins....

....Goblin Elite Bowman headshots him from behind. That's three out of four elite commanders down.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: August 04, 2011, 08:48:06 pm »

through a bad channeling planning, my stonelady (my personal favorite and my ingame avatar) fell to her death  :'( :'( :'(
she now rests in a golden tomb in an engraved obsidian room with a golden floor and golden statues, ya i imported a lot of gold, cuz the rock i dig in is all obsidian
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 729