Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 5 (83.3%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series  (Read 14630 times)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not just "the latest version", it's the beta branch, for both of them. So options->betas and pick "public beta" and "adventure beta" for both apps

This worked!

Nice!

Omg that story had me smiling a lot, due to seeing all the familiar dwarves at the human town, and with the portraits too. Sad that the adventure ended so quickly

And yeah Maloy's story was super intense, puts the previous necromancer (Dishmab Moziblogem) to shame. Any idea what the necros names were?
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile

I’ve made a dwarf adventurer from the closest civ to Gateheaven.

Just encountered a tower for the first time causing an immediate crash to desktop. Lost two hours progress. Beta is beta!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

Elephantmen would be vegetarian no? ;)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is the save.

I had a slightly more successful time this go around. Made a dwarf from neighbouring civ, killed a few megabeasts.

Will post story and pictures soon.

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17096

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright! I don't think anyone else wanted to try adventure mode on this world?

so I'll go ahead with our next fort.

I'll try to find some time to update our title post for future people wanting to navigate this madness lol

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

On that note does the turn order on that post stand or are we just in chaos now? Either way i'm keen to go whenever.
Did you conquer any sites in the adv mode run? Can you still do that in the beta?
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I didn’t conquer any site in adventure mode. I don’t know if that is enabled yet but generally the beta is very bare bones compared to what is possible in 0.47.

I couldn’t select a dwarf from the same cub as Gateheaven presumably because they’re considered dead/dying so any site I conquered would be from a differing civ.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

back from my trip across the pacific, ready to play again on this world of mega sieges.

some thoughts / suggestions for the next fortress. dont take these as demands at all, but after my experience with Gateheaven's slowdown I wanted to bring them up.

-2x2 or less for FPS purposes
 -implicit use of cleanup commands after saves, either by save owner or next player
 -i love the huge sieges, but maybe (slightly) tone them down, say, %80 of what they were?
 -turn off cavern invaders upon arrival . contentious, I know, but they induce the WORST kind of                                           
   unsolveable lag.
 -another desert or mountain embark, because trees also cause lag

these might let us really keep the place rolling, you know?

On that note does the turn order on that post stand or are we just in chaos now? Either way i'm keen to go whenever.
Did you conquer any sites in the adv mode run? Can you still do that in the beta?

yeah sign me up after neblime!! I should have time.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neblime finished us out and Kesperan used his turn for adventure mode! So in order of who most recently played to keep things fair

Maloy(current)
Otto_K
Salmeuk
Neblime
Kesperan

Sound good?
back from my trip across the pacific, ready to play again on this world of mega sieges.

some thoughts / suggestions for the next fortress. dont take these as demands at all, but after my experience with Gateheaven's slowdown I wanted to bring them up.

-2x2 or less for FPS purposes
 -implicit use of cleanup commands after saves, either by save owner or next player
 -i love the huge sieges, but maybe (slightly) tone them down, say, %80 of what they were?
 -turn off cavern invaders upon arrival . contentious, I know, but they induce the WORST kind of                                           
   unsolveable lag.
 -another desert or mountain embark, because trees also cause lag

these might let us really keep the place rolling, you know?

I like all of these. I actually was thinking of having a low population limit for the upcoming fort, but also proportionally lowering siege numbers so the challenge remains about equal.
Cavern invaders off also sounds smart
If its alright with everyone I would like the new place to have trees, but I'm fine with also chopping the entire forest down after

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recommend playing this as you read: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOTIIw76qiE&ab_channel=RHINO

Dwarves, Welcome to the Jungles of Romance

I will not lie to you, your chances of survival are slim.
If you are not killed by the humans, cannibalized by the elves, you may find your souls eternally enslaved by the dark power of necromancers

But I swear to you, by holy magma, to do everything in my power to deliver your bodies to eternal rest in this cause we fight!

Our enemies outnumber us in the many thousands and thus we have hidden in this unholy elven jungle to prevent them from fielding large armies against us

This special assignment is for commandos and so we shall also not be able to field a large army, but we will cut and burn this forest down to shape it into a death trap that will live on as legend!

I ask you to do this, not for my own selfish entertainment, but for the good of our entire people!

Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrRpdJqMC80&ab_channel=Tarriff
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 05:12:50 am by Maloy »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Strike the earth!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glory to the jungle fighters!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarves, Welcome to the Jungles of Romance
I will not lie to you, your chances of survival are slim.
If you are not killed by the humans, cannibalized by the elves, you may find your souls eternally enslaved by the dark power of necromancers
But I swear to you, by holy magma, to do everything in my power to deliver your bodies to eternal rest in this cause we fight!

Our enemies outnumber us in the many thousands and thus we have hidden in this unholy elven jungle to prevent them from fielding large armies against us
This special assignment is for commandos and so we shall also not be able to field a large army, but we will cut and burn this forest down to shape it into a death trap that will live on as legend!

Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrRpdJqMC80&ab_channel=Tarriff

Great premise! jungle warfare is a good explanation for smaller army and population sizes. Also guerrilla fortress is nice variety, i'm starting to get pretty immersed into this world :D

(Heh, i hadn't seen that meme before. TW:Warhammer3 such a great game)

Do trees cause bad lag? And how to stop them from growing. Would a stockpile covering the surface work? Or could we cover the land with farm plots

Nice, river on embark. Let the waterfalls flow
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, commandos let's take a look at our map -unfurls it on a tree stump-

That is a lot of red.

There are about 250 of us left in this world

Nothing to be impressed by. Next closest to dead dwarf kingdom has over a thousand!
Gateheaven has over 1000 occupants which must mean that most of them are travelers being used as meat shields

I immediately have Bruce Willis began felling most of the jungle forest around us. The trees work for the elves you see, spies and the like! All of them gotta go!

Tom Cruise is sent to handle our food situation

Before I build a tavern, temple or even a dormitory I'm gonna start mining, finding ore, and building our trap hallway.

Migrants arrived. Haggard, half-starved, half-mad souls trudging in from Gateheaven. Can't tell if it was the sane part of them that sent them here or the insane!

Excellent.

I left a good waft of that cavern air fill the tunnels and then order the lads to seal it up. They're confused, but the reason is simple: I can move our war elephants underground to fungus farms if the tunnels are contaminated with the spore.

We make Tonnot the manager and immediately start using near all our lumber. Bruce Willis begins felling even larger portions of the forest. I swear the trees are speaking elvish!

Let's take a look at Tonnot]
A scarred war veteran of Gateheaven. Legendary killer and an artifact creator.

Alas, she is deeply traumatized and even escaping Gateheaven hasn't freed her from the demons inside her head!

Most dwarves hang around the wagon when free to talk and drink, but Tonnot sits alone in her office whenever she is able to. What does she stare at?

Wagons here

They come leading the most sickly, pathetic, geriatric looking horses I've ever seen!
I can see crushed beetle brains jutting out of the bags-Don't ask me how I know what that looks like!-

Apparently we are now milking dwarves and making cheese from them?
Neblime agreed to purchase some if they brought it. I think it was more grim curiosity than genuine appetite

May I take this time to remind my fellow commandos that the favorite god of our people is the god of suicide?

A kea stole a steel pick we just bought and so Salmeuk II chased it up the tree and killed it! Now they're trapped.
Bruce Willis is on the way, friend!

Our war machine grows

The original Gateheaven Neblime migrated here and I'd like to point out that she is an original dwarf of our civ and not one of the ones generated by the game for fortress mode

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

I.. don't understand... didn't I die!?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]