Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38

Author Topic: Jade Court - Game Over - All's Well That Ends Well  (Read 31158 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court - Nomination Day 3 - Let Stir the Sleepers
« Reply #540 on: May 20, 2022, 12:07:02 am »

Let us see them sweet sweet scumchats!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 20, 2022, 12:16:17 am »

Maybe I didn't understand the Grand Game very well, but I figured if you (Toonyman) had just waited your turn on Day 3, you would have been a shoe-in.
I'm not sure how you'd get elected under that scenario, but it certainly seemed possible.
Webadict was forcing me as a D3 candidate because it would tell him if I was Onyx or not. I'm going to assume because he called me a "strong player". I literally have no way to resist without breaking trust with him, but I have to because I can't win otherwise. Knightwing was my other valid candidate, but Web scumread KW (one of the few that did), so I couldn't use KW as a candidate either without breaking trust with Web.

I'm fine with breaking trust because I have to to win, but then he has Jack who can make Web a double voter and Max who is a double voter. Onyx don't have much to compete with that.

If I sat quiet and did get a D3 nomination I was almost certainly not being elected.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 20, 2022, 12:27:45 am »

Did the scum team get any powers? Because if not, that IS a shit sandwich.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 20, 2022, 12:32:22 am »

So, my overall thoughts on the setup:

While normally I groan over the overabundance of power roles, in this setup we needed more.

Without the thrill and excitement of the Lynch & Night Kill, the players needed something else to talk about (regardless of alignment).

Personally, I think both Jade & Onyx needed someone with a 1-shot kill ability, that could especially be used to eliminate a nominee.
Yes, this means extra days.  But I think it would be worth it. 
The kill could also be used on someone who hadn't been nominated, but I wanted to emphasize that I think it should also be allowed against nominees.
It should also be a kill where the side who conducted it is hidden.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 20, 2022, 01:39:39 am »

Oh wait, it actually was Toony after all?

Hector
Shorten

It's unfortunate that the Cabal got screwed over by inactivity, and that Egan got locked down so quickly. The set up itself was fun though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 20, 2022, 01:48:48 am »

I'm blocking this subforum from my memory.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 20, 2022, 02:05:13 am »

Fair enough.
But I think the scum team got shafted in this particular game, so you did well with what you were given.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 20, 2022, 02:45:13 am »

Haha, wow. At least I read ToonyMan right, the only read I was confident on at all by the time I left. I was being serious when I thought it was web and Toony, though, right up until web made that deal with me (and then I had no idea what to think). Glad it ended up working out. Sorry your replace-in ended up being totally superfluous, Hector!

And man, sorry to Egan for having that Bluarian luck, heh.

One last comment: I never had a double-vote for the election, just nominations. That was EuchreJack's misguess. Glad he did, though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 20, 2022, 02:47:40 am »

Fair enough.
But I think the scum team got shafted in this particular game, so you did well with what you were given.
Coulda done something with D2, at least sow doubt with the fact that I was being mafiaread and could still vote. But I wasn't in the right emotional state to play just then. Good old play by post roleplay games at least don't go anywhere if I freak out for three days, you know.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 20, 2022, 02:59:51 am »

Haha, wow. At least I read ToonyMan right, the only read I was confident on at all by the time I left. I was being serious when I thought it was web and Toony, though, right up until web made that deal with me (and then I had no idea what to think). Glad it ended up working out. Sorry your replace-in ended up being totally superfluous, Hector!

And man, sorry to Egan for having that Bluarian luck, heh.

One last comment: I never had a double-vote for the election, just nominations. That was EuchreJack's misguess. Glad he did, though.

Eh, as I mentioned in my first post I was still chewing over webadict’s fakeclaim and subsequent confession, but that was as a disinterested observer.

Ah well, all’s well that ends well. Probably a good thing I didn’t have to pay too much attention given my responsibilities, and I didn’t have to do much other than bother Jack ;D you played well enough that I didn’t have to, can’t complain about that.

Fair enough.
Coulda done something with D2, at least sow doubt with the fact that I was being mafiaread and could still vote. But I wasn't in the right emotional state to play just then. Good old play by post roleplay games at least don't go anywhere if I freak out for three days, you know.

Mafia is very easy to take too seriously, particularly with some of the vitriol we condone on the board. It’s not for everyone, and even if you’re used to it, it can get to you. Don’t worry about it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 20, 2022, 03:06:59 am »

ToonyMan twitched, then twitched again, looking at the dozing form of Egan_BW and the inattentive form of Knightwing64. After assessing the situation again, his eyes rolled up and he collapsed.

The Onyx Cabal (ToonyMan, Knightwing64, Egan_BW) have forfeited.

The Jade Court (everyone else) win!

There were no Sects.

Feels like this game crashed to a halt earlier than it should have.

While normally I groan over the overabundance of power roles, in this setup we needed more.
Funnily enough, half the players had power roles. The scum never used their two powers and the town weak-cop never claimed his results. I think the setup was more balanced than it looked, it's just that I assumed the scumteam would be more proactive. That didn't seem to happen.

Props to Toony for amazing Day 1 and Day 2 play though. The one thing he missed is the potential strategy of using his ability proactively and aggressively - it could be used any number of times, since it was just a passively available toggle that affected his vote's effect. The ability to vote against someone was more useful in its social effect than its practical effect, I think.

Spoiler: Setup (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 03:19:41 am by FallacyofUrist »
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court - Game Over - All's Well That Ends Well
« Reply #551 on: May 20, 2022, 05:05:30 am »

Spoiler: Long-ass post (click to show/hide)

Overall, Toony played well, Max played well, Euchre started fights with Townies and doubted his read of me but in the end made the right choice, Jim still scum read Townies but we managed to come to a satisfying answer as a team, Knightwing learned a bit more and didn't do bad as he managed to convince a couple Townies he was Town, NQT made a good opening move that allowed us to centralize around a Townie early and actually gave us a few good reads from it, Roden played well (even if the lurk thing waaaaas a bit silly, but can I really judge?), and reina actually played well but I am sad because they appear to have disappeared. Egan, you get a special section because you probably got some nerves from playing as scum, but know that you didn't do poorly because you convinced Max you weren't scum, which isn't an easy feat. I think you should give yourself another shot because you're still learning to play. Losing kinda sucks, and being scum is hard, and losing at something hard feels bad. But, you didn't do as bad as you think. Give it another try some time, and if you really want to revel in a win, use your friendliness against people. Make alliances, and then, at the perfect moment, backstab them. I think that is a good style for you, since you would likely get Townies to join you. Sure, it's buddying, but... We sorta allow that here, and it's something we're bad at dealing with, so use it against us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 20, 2022, 05:23:40 am »

Oh, and balance-wise... This game has some downsides for scum. I think I would give the scum the ability to disrupt the Election. I think a good ability would be allowing them to make the final Election a 1v1 (removing a candidate so that it becomes scum v Town) if they want. This should be an innate scum ability, like the Mafiakill, since it's a good way to remove a candidate the Town can rally behind and not care about the rest (and allowing them the choice to use it makes it very WIFOMy on why a Town-looking player wasn't removed). Additionally, Sects seem to be good in terms of allowing scum (or normally less Town players) onto the council in the first place. Having groups with competing needs feels genuinely difficult to play around, but also helps disrupt the Town from fully committing to a single player. This game not having Sects did make it feel a bit easier for Town.

My two cents.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Jade Court - Nomination Day 1 - Gathered For The Sake Of The Future
« Reply #553 on: May 20, 2022, 05:25:31 am »

Can't say I didn't warn you guys:

He has no idea who the good or bad guys are so would not be best placed among the electorate

I got totally taken in by Toony. I voted Knightwing as a sort of test to see who else would jump on that wagon as I assumed Toony was town but wasn't sure about KW. The fact no one else did made it look better for Knightwing, though objectively I had no reason to think him town.

My main contribution was just being authentically town so that people would have confidence in me as a candidate.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 20, 2022, 05:34:26 am »

Spoiler: Analysis of analysis (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38