Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1672 1673 [1674] 1675 1676 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5894319 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25095 on: August 24, 2012, 11:49:24 am »

Playing Genesis mod again. This time, the orcs, as well as nords, are friendly. The orcs send two caravans a year for some reason, in Spring and Autumn. In autumn, the compete with the dwarven caravan.

Finally figured out how to get minecarts moving iron ore and flux to a spot to streamline steel production. It... um, took a few casualties, but I got it.

Currently no major security concerns though, which is slightly boring.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #25096 on: August 24, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »

Buzzards just decimated my Cavy herd before i managed to get my marksdwarfs into the fight and killed them. I lost most of the adults and several babies.

The Great Guinea Pig Massacre Of 158 shall not go unpunished! All buzzards who enter my fortress' territory will now be killed on sight in order to preserve our precious pets! Their very bones turned against their fellows! Soon all vultures and foul scavengers shall know fear for they have angered the great fortress of Bodydagger and they shall be hunted to the ends of the earth!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:36:10 pm by Shininglight »
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25097 on: August 24, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »

I dumped a bunch of zombies into my volcano, but they won't die, and thus the siege status is stuck on. As if that weren't bad enough, I've also got a bug where messages dissapear almost as soon as they appear.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25098 on: August 24, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »

A goblin ambush was driven off, but a merchant took two arrows to the arm and one to the leg.

The Human Merchant gives in to pain
The Human Merchant regains consciousness
The Human Merchant is no longer stunned
The Human Merchant gives in to pain
The Human Merchant regains consciousness

He is 60 tiles away from the depot. All his friends have arrived at the depot but I doubt I'll get any trading done this year.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #25099 on: August 24, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »

This is odd, i just had the captain of my swordswarf squad found drained of blood.... in the middle of the barracks.... surrounded by his fellows, with no witnessess..... now i must appoint a sherriff. The fact that this was allowed to happen..... >.< He was almost legendary too, WITHOUT a danger room. This vamp shall DIE!

angrysully

« Reply #25100 on: August 24, 2012, 05:06:17 pm »

does the tile below a well need to be a grate or floor bars for the well to work? 

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25101 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:46 pm »

So the sole survivor of my fort just vanished. I have no idea what happened to him, but I'm wondering if it wasn't just an accident the way he dropped that other dwarf into the volcano.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25102 on: August 24, 2012, 07:45:19 pm »

does the tile below a well need to be a grate or floor bars for the well to work?

AFAIK, the well needs a tile (preferably 2) of water below it to work, and a grate or floor bars will block the bucket. What I do is make a small (3x3x2) reservoir, with a floodgate and 2 grates to filter out undesirables and close off water flow and a pressure regulator to eliminate any "i forgot to shut off the water, now my fort flooded" moments. Then build the well over that, and enjoy mud-, invader- and other bad thing- free water.

Made a new fort, this time on a semi-flat untamed wilds desert area. Gonna shamelessly use a few inventions of the community (namely magma doorstop by ThatAussieGuy and the unlimited aquifer power by the same) and learn about the ins and outs of power, pumps, and !!FUN!! with magma!

And now, I must check Legends mode for a recent migrant, who is apparently injured. His nose was torn off by an unknown assailant.

EDIT: His nose was torn off by one "Aztrog Haildevils". He was apparently a dwarf trader, and killed 5 humans in The Hills of Trading. Odd. Thats the only notable thing in Legends mode.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:20:15 pm by Lich180 »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25103 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »

RabbitHut, the Creepy Murky Shelter
First Previous Next

Journal of Kotonoa, 19th Slate, yr.451
We got the bunnies out to pasture. We had to actually scoot their butts right onto the grassy spots. We were going to make a hut for them, but there was a pair of mosquito corpses that lurked in the distance. So we brought the buns back inside for now, and we must turn attention to our Yaks. With such spare vegetation, we'll probably butcher those things.

Spoiler: Rabbit Grass (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yak Chambers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:29:17 am by ZzarkLinux »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #25104 on: August 24, 2012, 08:13:57 pm »

I'm currently playing a fort with a mod species. They're usually very slow to do anything, but they can perform a special reaction that sprays syndrome-inducing gas which enables an interaction which lets them temporarily double the speed of every member of their species currently on the map; said reaction is fueled by special gems extracted from the skulls of slaughtered animals.

A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

angrysully

« Reply #25105 on: August 24, 2012, 08:45:46 pm »

goblin ambush snuck in (guess harpies carried off my guard dog) and basically got through into the the living/industry of the fort.  They are at the bottom levels and I have zero military atm. 

go all my dwarves jammed into the dining room atm unsure how to get the ambush of 4 goblins out.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #25106 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »

Mr. Frog can i sig you?

Caught the vamp, he was an axedorf with only two previous civs, he managed to get killed by a goblin ambush so all's well

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #25107 on: August 24, 2012, 09:18:29 pm »

A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

angrysully

« Reply #25108 on: August 24, 2012, 09:53:26 pm »

drafted the rest of the dwarves including the dwarves and marched them down for honor and glory.  Of the 48 who marched down, only the mayor returned one level where he collapsed unconcious with a broken spine and foot.  No goblin deaths, then a forgotten beast came up from below and one goblin dueled it/killed it and continued to chill in my basement.  I waited around 10 rl minutes when an eleven caravan arrived on the scene.  The goblins must have heard and came running out as they started unloading their goods.  A dead slow but surely mayor cam crawling after them still trying to kill them.  My last survivor, not sure if I'll live throughout the day.

edit: just died of hunger/thirst.  At least he ended his last mandate before he died.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:56:16 pm by angrysully »

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25109 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:10 am »

drafted the rest of the dwarves including the dwarves and marched them down for honor and glory.  Of the 48 who marched down, only the mayor returned one level where he collapsed unconcious with a broken spine and foot.  No goblin deaths, then a forgotten beast came up from below and one goblin dueled it/killed it and continued to chill in my basement.  I waited around 10 rl minutes when an eleven caravan arrived on the scene.  The goblins must have heard and came running out as they started unloading their goods.  A dead slow but surely mayor cam crawling after them still trying to kill them.  My last survivor, not sure if I'll live throughout the day.

edit: just died of hunger/thirst.  At least he ended his last mandate before he died.

Sounds like a noble and dwarfy end to your fort, but next time, just build a few cage traps and let the goblins come to you, especially if you have them trapped in the basement.

Edit, so as not to double post:

I dumped a bunch of zombies into my volcano, but they won't die, and thus the siege status is stuck on. As if that weren't bad enough, I've also got a bug where messages dissapear almost as soon as they appear.

Haha, I did the same thing about a fortress year ago (a few days real-time). I still have one on fire inside a metal cage, too. You'd think conservation of mass-energy would kick in at some point, but no, this is Dwarf Fortress. I resorted to caving in floor tiles on the ones in the magma sea. May have to do the same to the one smoldering in the cage.
Pages: 1 ... 1672 1673 [1674] 1675 1676 ... 3837