Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651195 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

That reminds me of another one.

Mega Slaking with Scrappy.

Also I just found out hyper training lets you spend items to max out your pokemon's IVs?  What did breeders do to GameFreak to make them so upset?
Shoes...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cheat, cull the weaklings, and Game Freak originally did not want to have IVs to begin with. Either that, or they're catering to the min-maxers whose metagame generally requires Pokemon with perfect IVs as using anything with less than 31 IVs on every stat means you should probably go kill yourself you casual.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Cheat's the main issue.  I'm sure bottlecaps will be hard to come by since they basically completely obviate IVs as a mechanic, but unless they add a way to track the provenance of items (and then transfer that flag to pokemon the item is used on, which opens up a whole new can of worms; should my pokemon be flagged as hacked because I cheated myself some potions for a hard fight?) you can freely hack in TMs and bottlecaps to get perfectly optimized pokemon that the game can't detect as hacked.

Also sometimes I really fucking hate this game.  Was playing my trick room team and had a stall team dead to rights, I was in trouble with his serperior getting up to 3x but I managed a cheeky trick room with a sliver of health and then lunar danced my cresselia to heal Volcanion back up.  Nothing he had on his team could take volcanion so I went with that over Heracross who was slightly iffier on the Sableye and Ferrothorn. 

I fucking missed the fire blast.  Heracross killed serperior but of course he couldn't take the ferrothorn and then I was fucked.

I could've used the heracross to start and then switched to volcanion I guess but I'm still calling hax.  I hate the miss chance.  It's "anti-fun," as they say in leega legun.  The mechanic gives no positive feelings, only negative ones.  I'm never happy when my enemy clutch misses either, I just feel bad for him.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 05:56:51 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate the miss chance.  It's "anti-fun," as they say in leega legun.  The mechanic gives no positive feelings, only negative ones.  I'm never happy when my enemy clutch misses either, I just feel bad for him.

I mean, being an 'accuracy over power' devotee myself I get where you're coming from, but at the same time, I feel that that's just kind of the point? Any time you use Fire Blast over Flamethrower, you're essentially taking a gamble for more power. If you want the extra 20 power and nigh-perfect accuracy, then you jump through hoops with stuff like Wide Lens or Hone Claws. (As was pointed out to me when I mocked using anything with Hustle a while back.)
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

I hate the miss chance.  It's "anti-fun," as they say in leega legun.  The mechanic gives no positive feelings, only negative ones.  I'm never happy when my enemy clutch misses either, I just feel bad for him.

I mean, being an 'accuracy over power' devotee myself I get where you're coming from, but at the same time, I feel that that's just kind of the point? Any time you use Fire Blast over Flamethrower, you're essentially taking a gamble for more power. If you want the extra 20 power and nigh-perfect accuracy, then you jump through hoops with stuff like Wide Lens or Hone Claws. (As was pointed out to me when I mocked using anything with Hustle a while back.)
Basically, the thinking is that if it makes a difference, the power is more important in a 1v1 competitive setting.
If both OHKO, you should probably expect a swap in many cases, but yeah, Flamethrower's better. If both 2HKO, Flamethrower's also better.
If Fire Blast OHKOs and Flamethrower 2HKOs, you should still expect a swap, but Fire Blast is better 85% of the time, and only worse after two misses in a row, which is only 2.25% of the time
If Fire Blast is a 2HKO and flamethrower is a 3HKO, Fire Blast will hit two in a row 72.25% (85%*85%) of the time, so it's better than flamethrower 72.25% of the time. It'll miss once, then hit twice, or hit-miss-hit, about 10.8% (85%*85%*15%) of the time each, so it's better than or equal to Flamethrower about 94% of the time. In the remaining 6% of the time, it's worse than Flamethrower. Easy choice for me.
If Fire Blast is a 3 hit KO and Flamethrower is a 4 hit KO, fire blast hits three in a row about 61% of the time, has one of miss-hit-hit-hit, hit-miss-hit-hit, or hit-hit-miss-hit about 9.2% of the time each, and is worse than flamethrower the remaining ~11% of the time. To me, that's still significantly better.
The numbers get better for Flamethrower as the number of hits to KO gets higher, but as the number of hits to KO increases, you usually will have either a swap you could make or a better coverage or STAB move you could use to decrease that number.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile

It's a good thing guys with Hustle have stuff like Hone Claws so they can wreck face.

I'm generally okay with a lot of attack moves or super strong status moves having an accuracy check, because like you said, that's the point as you need to decide if that's what you want to trade off, but at the same time I really fucking hate how Toxic and Will-o-Wisp has a miss chance. Seriously, bloody Thunder Wave and Spore get 100% accuracy and those two can miss? What is this nonsense?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait...

Is team Skull actually called Team Skull? Like it isn't a fan name?

Wow... I was... joking about that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Yeah, I don't dislike accuracy check on an intellectual level, I just get really salty when I whiff a game-winning move and lose.

Random Battles are pretty fun, even if sometimes the game's decided as soon as you start, like when you get a swords dance scolipede as your starter and he's got something that can't touch it.  Purugly sweep get. 

Working on sitrus berry Tropius sweep now.  If I were on the other side of this shit and it weren't casual funtimes random battle I would be so god damn salty right now.

Tropius died, had to Yanmega sweep.  That's not funny.  And I almost got swept by raid boss Simipour, not a single move on my entire team was super-effective.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:57:42 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

Decided to pre-order Pokémon Moon, which marks the first time where I have decided to pre-order anything.

So, to that end I'm going to do what I can to avoid spoilers. Sort of like the ones in the thread title, but that's neither here nor there!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...You can pre-order already?

Damn it. If I'd known that, I'd have stopped in at GameStop earlier today and done so.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile

Aye! I picked up Arceus while I was at it, which made the trip rather convenient.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

[Opposing Gardevoir's Trace!]
The opposing Gardevoir traced HARAMBE's Truant!

#DigletsOut
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

[Opposing Gardevoir's Trace!]
The opposing Gardevoir traced HARAMBE's Truant!

#DigletsOut
Oh man, and I thought my opponents were unfortunate when they traced blaze or overgrow.  Two things pretty much useless to a gardevoir.

Actually now that I think of it can they trace ANY ability?  I've never seen one trace my Zoroark's illusion or trace a ditto's imposter.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Trace cannot copy: Trace, Multitype, Illusion, Flower Gift, Imposter, or Stance Change.  Basically, it can't copy itself and it can't copy anything that would change Gardevoir's form.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

That harambe team is really fun.  Slaking, M-Lopunny, Magnezone, Lando, Azumarill, and Dragalge.  Pretty hard to play since Harambe is still massive setup bait and lopunny just compounds the weakness to protect, but it's hilarious to revenge kill with Slaking, only a few pokemon can eat a banded slaking retaliate and that's only at full health.

I decided to try anything goes with Klefki, Numel, and four Rayquazas.  I kind of assumed everyone would be doing the same thing, but I didn't see a single team like that in five games.  One of them actually beat me, sort of.  He had a cotton guard calm mind slurpuff which fucked my rayquazas (maybe if I'd known he was gonna do shit like that I would've been able to deal with it but one cotton guard and I was pretty much SOL.  Klefki was basically an impasse, neither of them could outdamage each other's leftovers, and obviously Numel is just there for klefkispam.

I forfeited and stopped playing AG.  Great job.

Edit:  I've played maybe ten games now and I swear to god I've missed almost every single fucking clutch move.  It is fucking unbelievable how many games today I've lost because a 90% move missed and I got fucked over. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:32:32 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 463