Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651696 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: The ULTRASun and ULTRAMoon Rises
« Reply #6150 on: August 21, 2017, 05:10:16 pm »

While I don't like a lot of the Alolan Pokemon, and especially their legendaries, I do like some of the alternative Alolan Forms that they introduced.

Marowak:

Godddamn did this guy get an upgrade. He went from trash tier to omega tier. Not only is his typing superb in fire / ghost, but he still gets lightning rod. Lightning rod is an incredible ability, especially in multi battles.

Then he still gets to use his unique item, thick club, which doubles his attack to an unbelievable number. He also has a bunch of his old unique moves but since he isn't ground type any more, they aren't STAB. He does however get a new one called shadow bone (lol). Also he gets flare blitz as STAB now. Goddamn.

That being said, he's really slow. And he will die, it's not like he's invincible or anything. He's just way better than what he used to be.

-----------

Muk:

I really like this variant of Muk. In fact, I prefer it a lot more to its normal version. The typing is way better, removing the huge weakness to psychic completely. It's still weak to earthquake, but nothing you can do about that.

Also it now has way better STABs. Having dark type means it can do way more with knock off or pursuit, giving it way more offensive ability whereas in the past it mostly had to rely on gunk shot. Now it's a major threat to so many more things, as opposed to just stuff weak to poison. This guy can easily manhandle most psychic and ghost types, among many other things.

It's still really tanky and hurts way more now. What's not to love?

-----------

Ninetales:

This guy is strong as fuuuuuck. Not because it does a lot of damage. It actually doesn't really do that much damage at all with a really crappy special attack stat.

It's because of the skill aurora veil, which is basically reflect and light screen combined into one. During hail. Which it just so happens, Ninetails summons every time it enters battle.

Granted, it's kinda crap if you can disrupt the weather yourself but goddamn it's annoying if you can't.

Other than that it's pretty worthless though. I mean, it can still nasty plot itself but the base special attack is really bad. It'll take at least two plots for it to become more than a hassle. It's relatively survivable though... for an ice type.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: August 21, 2017, 07:44:17 pm »

Is Ice the garbage type of Pokémon? Or does some other type have that title?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: August 21, 2017, 08:17:58 pm »

Is Ice the garbage type of Pokémon? Or does some other type have that title?
Not at all. Ice is a proverbial glass cannon type. Their Pokemon tend to be weak defensively but strong offensively.

Not just because of stats but because of the type matchup. They're weak to a lot of really powerful moves and not really defensive against anything.

Conversely, ice attacks are powerful and you generally want some in your team. A lot of Pokemon get instagibbed by ice beam.

----

I don't think there's currently a garbage type right now. Bug used to be pretty trash but it's been buffed quite a lot these past few games.

Poison also used to be pretty worthless, but now they're amazing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »

Of all the pokemon the first generation are probably the ones that are the most... odd as a whole in terms of how they are set up.

The one I typically use as an example is the Pidgy lines. Who are a Attack type pokemon that almost exclusively learns Special Attack type moves.

Not at all. Ice is a proverbial glass cannon type. Their Pokemon tend to be weak defensively but strong offensively.

They have definitely tries to make a defensive Ice Type. Apparently it doesn't work out very well? Or is the guide outdated and Avugg is walling up a storm? (I hope I got that name right)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: August 21, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »

Mega Pidgeot goes full investment into Special Attacking, especially since Hurricane becomes a No-Guard STAB monster. Gengar and Dragonite are still good. After that though, you do see a wide swathe of mons who didn't age well.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: August 21, 2017, 09:44:41 pm »

Of all the pokemon the first generation are probably the ones that are the most... odd as a whole in terms of how they are set up.

The one I typically use as an example is the Pidgy lines. Who are a Attack type pokemon that almost exclusively learns Special Attack type moves.

They have definitely tries to make a defensive Ice Type. Apparently it doesn't work out very well? Or is the guide outdated and Avugg is walling up a storm? (I hope I got that name right)
There's always an exception. Avalugg is a really strong physical wall who can even heal himself. Dies easily to special attacks though.

All types have certain tendencies. Fighting tends to be fast physical attackers. Water tends to be defensive. Etc. Doesn't mean they're all like that, but they generally are.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: August 21, 2017, 09:48:15 pm »

It is more that the guide said as a physical wall Avalugg doesn't really do his job very well and that there are plenty of better options.

Exceptions that can do their job versus exceptions that cannot.

A great example are Bug Types which tend to be quick evolving front loaded pokemon. Yet Heracross exists and excels (Not sure if he does right NOW but the Meta always changes)

Legendaries are... exception of exceptions so >_> yeah.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:50:30 pm by Neonivek »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: August 21, 2017, 09:56:22 pm »

Mega Pidgeot goes full investment into Special Attacking, especially since Hurricane becomes a No-Guard STAB monster. Gengar and Dragonite are still good. After that though, you do see a wide swathe of mons who didn't age well.
Man just wait until my Golbat loves me enough to evolve, you'll eat those words!
...I've been playing original Silver on my phone.  So much I could say, but very tired due to eclipse/hiking stuff.  This is my first pokemon game and it's very fun, and easy to play in bits and pieces, as one might expect from a gameboy color game.  Even better via emulator since I can "quit" without going through the tedious save process.  Played a few minutes today during family outing, literally bits and pieces.

Fire is the trash type obviously, because my poor nemesis uses it ("Elric", but that was a conflation, I was thinking of a prince Eric).  I wasn't even trying to grind, but I outleveled him pretty heavily in every fight...  Even won the first one pretty handily.
When will he finally realize that the secret to pokemon training is friendship and Rollout?
(Rollout kinda destroys everything after a turn of "windup", including rock-resistant enemies.  Love using it against gym leaders.  I'm not even save scumming the misses away, it's just that good and my Graveller "Rolan" is that highly levelled)

I do resent said Graveller will never become a Golem without being traded.  A friend found a really cool "randomizer" which not only works on Gen 1/2 roms, it can replace those meta evolution requirements without randomizing things.  Dunno if it works with old saves though, and I don't care that much.  Maybe when I hit gen 3 in a few years.

I mean, I'm at the Elite 4, but Gen 2 included all of the gen 1 area as bonus content because apparently there was room.  And I can't transfer to Gen 3 technically.  So as an occasional timewaster, I have a lot of play left.  Meanwhile my friends are doing Moemon Emerald nuzlocke runs where they duel each other once per gym, loser sacrifices a pokemon.  The savages.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: August 22, 2017, 01:48:15 pm »

So I recently bred a Volcanora, basically everything I read is all hurr hurr fire blast. But I'm not really grasping why this is supposedly better than that fire dance move with its 50% boost potential and no accuracy malus. Unless its just too exploit z fireblast.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: August 22, 2017, 01:55:16 pm »

So I recently bred a Volcanora, basically everything I read is all hurr hurr fire blast. But I'm not really grasping why this is supposedly better than that fire dance move with its 50% boost potential and no accuracy malus. Unless its just too exploit z fireblast.
You can use either.

Most people use fire blast because it does more damage at a small chance of missing. In battles this is quite important as killing your enemies faster is good.

But missing sucks, so if you don't like missing, then you can use fire dance. No one will disparage you for it. Try out the one you want and then change it if you don't like it.

It's the same thing between surf / scald and hydro pump.

My Volcarona is quiver dance, roost, bug buzz, fire dance.

---------------

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you a miracle of the ages. A feat never to be seen again in human history.

Delibird getting a triple kill!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: August 23, 2017, 12:57:38 am »

Pokémon Insurgence is feature complete.

Yay! I haven't tried it myself yet...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: August 23, 2017, 05:33:34 am »

pokemon what now? is that on the 3DS or Switch?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: August 23, 2017, 05:47:59 am »

pokemon what now? is that on the 3DS or Switch?

PC

Fanmade on the level of Omicron and Zeta (except... better >_>)

Let me fetch a website.

https://p-insurgence.com/

It doesn't include Sun and Moon Pokémon though (and wont)... Though Pokémon Reborn will, but that game develops SLOOOOOW! (I will definitely post if that game ever finishes)

Given how many pokemon fangames never finish... This is pretty amazing :P

-WARNING!: Pokémon Insurgence isn't for the faint of heart. It actually isn't pathetically easy (it has three difficulty settings mind you) and you need things like well built teams.
-It also has multiplayer battles and trading (Though you can get trade evolve pokemon to evolve without trading)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:09:59 pm by Neonivek »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: August 24, 2017, 10:51:26 am »

So while trying to get a regenerator tangela I cauught a shiny storm drain Maractus. Looks good for doubles with spike shield, sucker punch, accupressure, cotton guard. Attacks of solar beam-for use with charizardY, giga drain, grass knott, energy ball.  Possibly useful confide, attract, swagger, synthesis.  My main question is- should i tutor him anything from ORAS before transfering to Moon? Specificaly was looking at endevor, hyper voice, and knockoff.  It's got a neutral nature so I am thinking of making it bulky since it's already slow.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: August 25, 2017, 02:20:42 am »

So while trying to get a regenerator tangela I cauught a shiny storm drain Maractus. Looks good for doubles with spike shield, sucker punch, accupressure, cotton guard. Attacks of solar beam-for use with charizardY, giga drain, grass knott, energy ball.  Possibly useful confide, attract, swagger, synthesis.  My main question is- should i tutor him anything from ORAS before transfering to Moon? Specificaly was looking at endevor, hyper voice, and knockoff.  It's got a neutral nature so I am thinking of making it bulky since it's already slow.

Hmm... don't expect a hell of a lot out of Maractus. It's not a bulky pokemon by any means; it wants to be an offensive suicide lead but it's too slow.

75/67/67 defenses are pretty frail, and grass is a poor defensive type. Spiky Shield might be good for shits and giggles, but you'd want it to be using a sp.atk based move rather than sucker punch.
Acupressure is too random to be good unless you roll that 1/6 chance of boosting evasiveness, then it becomes trolly as fuck. Solarbeam spam might be useful, but a neutrally natured base 106 spatk isn't going to hit things too hard.

Given that CharY brings out sunlight when it's in play, don't expect water types to be sticking around because of that; he can cope better with water type attacks and can fire off solarbeams of his own; what you really would want is something that can cope with the rock types that would melt CharY; a bulky defensive pokemon like Skarmory. Skarmory is neutral to rock, immune to ground, bulky on the physical side, and can help control the field as a support mon by removing hazards with Defog and setting its own hazards into play.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 463