Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1168636 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3795 on: January 16, 2012, 11:45:30 am »

If they aren't in, I'm modding them in. I totally want a monarch butterflyperson.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:23 pm »

or a moth man
I am a Goober.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »

Hmm I wonder... Well I guess I'll put out the Footkerchief bait... but this question is driving me nuts

Toady do the sponsorship animals means that soon we will have giant and person versions of all the animals currently in the game? Are we that far from a Monarch Butterflyman?

I don't have an answer for that.  I do personally have mixed feelings about the inclusion of giant/person versions of every new animal, but I guess it mostly stems from the fact that it takes actual work (and semi-duplicated raws, which can have errors).  If giant/person variants were created procedurally I wouldn't care.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

Toady previously mentioned that he has a half-finished creature file of more animal men that he kind of tends to forget. In a DF Talk he also mentioned giraffe men, and that he wanted to be happy with the giraffe before he'd add giraffe men (which would likely want a separate body as well). As such, while the groundwork exists for adding more animal people, it might not be soon outside the sponsorship animals (and there, we don't have bee men, presumably because they'd want hive-like sites).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: January 16, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »

why haven't you just made a check that removes "salt" from spaces that have nothing in them
thousands (additional) checks every single tick may be described as "Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag"
Lag smag. Toady already describe checking for such thing, doesnt actually impact game responsiveness.
Everybody knows that DF is a giant CPU eater - and iterating over every single sock, rock and toe is likely to be part of it.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »

Hmm I wonder... Well I guess I'll put out the Footkerchief bait... but this question is driving me nuts

Toady do the sponsorship animals means that soon we will have giant and person versions of all the animals currently in the game? Are we that far from a Monarch Butterflyman?

I don't have an answer for that.  I do personally have mixed feelings about the inclusion of giant/person versions of every new animal, but I guess it mostly stems from the fact that it takes actual work (and semi-duplicated raws, which can have errors).  If giant/person variants were created procedurally I wouldn't care.

Yeah I have to agree with Foot on this.  In my mind at least it seems like it would be simpler to do it procedurally... although I know firsthand that there are some pretty major stumblng blocks with that, namely that many animals have very un-human shapes, and forcing them to be humanoid without killing the flavour is pretty hard.  I fiddled a bit with moose-men and the nitemare of hoof-based nonsense was quite awful. 

I am also a bit concerned that they might all get replaced next time Toady decides to take a look at procedral creature generation.  Right now we have FBs and Titans, but they tend to kind of suck.  Obviously at some far-flung point of the future this is planned to be fixed up and made more robust, and I can easily imagine that part of such a framework would allow some nifty giant/person variants.  Not to mention other variations as well, like "giant evil badger" or "gelatenous cave crocodile" or "mechanical aardvark" or whatever, and generally it is a good idea to just bring all that under the same umbrella when the time isright, rather than working very hard on wat will probably end up a placeholder (or at least that's the general approach the Toad seems to take with just about everything else).

TLDR: Toady spending time on making the variants seems out of character, because they are probably going to end up a placeholder. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:29:46 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3801 on: January 16, 2012, 05:37:40 pm »

There are already Giant-X and Y-man templates. I'm pretty sure they work.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: January 16, 2012, 07:18:45 pm »

They do some of the work, but the giants still tend to have about 30 lines of their own raws, and the people around 50.  More than enough to introduce bugs.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3803 on: January 17, 2012, 01:26:49 am »

They do some of the work, but the giants still tend to have about 30 lines of their own raws, and the people around 50.  More than enough to introduce bugs.

perhaps a tool for "crossbreeding" raws is in order.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: January 17, 2012, 03:54:01 am »

I'm sure there's an answer for this out there somewhere, but does anybody know whether the city underground will intersect with cavern systems at all?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: January 17, 2012, 04:04:52 am »

I'm sure there's an answer for this out there somewhere, but does anybody know whether the city underground will intersect with cavern systems at all?
Yup. Toady does. :)
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: January 17, 2012, 05:15:55 am »

Ooh, good question.  Even if the caves were limited in their depth and expanse compared to fortress mode, to be able to scramble down to some underground lake and make that a home beneath the city would be a wonderful way to play a dwarf.  Ever since playing Dark Souls I'm all for more vertical exploration in RPGs.  Are there any plans for city structures, of any race, to reach into the sky?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: January 17, 2012, 09:02:31 am »

One would thing that elven glades would eventually.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3808 on: January 17, 2012, 12:35:41 pm »

One would thing that elven glades would eventually.

Off-topic but I've finally decided that the way your avatar changes to a zombie sometimes must be a back-end script and my hat is off to you for managing to freak me out every dang time
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »

I don't know the exact quote, but I recall this being asked before, and Toady responding that he is specifically avoiding intersection of caverns and sewers/catacombs because you would most likely end up with holes in the cavern roof, so no adventurer could get up/down in a reasonable way.

I will look for the quote...
...located:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Cruxador
Do the various under-city structures sometimes meet with the highest underground layer? If so, how common is it? And will Forgotten Beasts and other subterranean creatures eventually come up through such connections to live in sewers (and whatnot) or attack the town? It sounded like the first bit was a "yes" from the devlog, but I'd like confirmation.
On a similar, but ultimately separate note:
You didn't mention basements or cellars. Does that mean you weren't working on them, or were they just simple enough that they didn't contribute to the complications you mentioned?
It seems like it would be somewhat silly to include all the awesome fancy underground stuff and not include simple underground stuff too.

We've thought about how it might look, but right now we are still avoiding the top layer (that mention in the dev log was more about threading the rest between the upper and lower limits, which are variable).  It's easy enough to hit it, but for it to have a point beyond the intrusion of flying beasts, we need the adventurer to have a way to get down to the cavern floor, which would mean the humans digging stairs or placing a scaffoldy stair or something.  It would be a fun place to have a lever and bars though, and a sign with a warning on it.  We haven't ruled out doing it, and it's always good to have more cavern access points that aren't far-away rare caves -- there still isn't much to do down there though, so it's not a key addition yet.

Basements/cellars were in my mind with the complication list in the "buildings" part, particularly because temples can currently have multilevel underground parts from before that aren't the new catacombs themselves.  I haven't done basements/cellars generally though.  They should be that bad, but doing them too thickly will mess with my sewer stuff -- the sewers try to follow the roads but have to skip them at times.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:18:31 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 298