Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3744358 times)

greenwatering

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7125 on: July 13, 2013, 05:13:31 pm »

i don't see why grown items couldn't have hardness or edges not usual for wooden material. i think it would be the easiest way to balance out elven invasion.
i hope that grown wood has different raws then wood now so that it can be modded differently while not changing dwarf made wood stuff, at least.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7126 on: July 13, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »

Are there any future plans, decisions, or thought given in regarding of embassies, both of other nations in your fortress as well as your fortress in other nations?

Will there be any adjustments to preforming attacks when in our "projectile" state (IE jumping, falling, riding in minecarts?), such as velocity bonus modifier in doing so? Such like preforming a jump-kick or dropkick, or a drive by swording for example.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: July 13, 2013, 09:51:03 pm »

Will there be any adjustments to preforming attacks when in our "projectile" state (IE jumping, falling, riding in minecarts?), such as velocity bonus modifier in doing so? Such like preforming a jump-kick or dropkick, or a drive by swording for example.

Velocity, to my understanding already affects combat.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:52 am »

Do you have any timescale for reintroducing dwarven economy, and what sort of changes (from 40d economy) it will have? Will the immigrant nobles return?

firons2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: July 14, 2013, 04:37:17 am »

Hey Toady what is your standing on adding more creatures to the game? Any plans for that?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: July 14, 2013, 04:45:12 am »

Hey Toady what is your standing on adding more creatures to the game? Any plans for that?
No.

We have plenty

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: July 14, 2013, 04:46:42 am »

He's in favor of doing another Drive, like the Animal Drive done a few x-masses ago, but I think that was for plants. I also believe that he'd want to flesh out most of the creatures added in the last drive before adding lots of creatures.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: July 14, 2013, 05:21:20 am »

I remember reading somewhere that currently a crocodile is basically a cow with shorter legs, which makes cows the superior fighters... yeah, fleshing out needs to happen before adding even more stuff. Seems like the kind of work the commmunity could do, though.

What kind of work will you outsource to the community, and what stuff will you absoutely do yourself?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: July 14, 2013, 05:36:32 am »

Crocodiles also have eggs, though.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: July 14, 2013, 05:57:43 am »

Are there any future plans, decisions, or thought given in regarding of embassies, both of other nations in your fortress as well as your fortress in other nations?
There are a good number of diplomacy-related items on dev-single. Embassies and ambassadors are not mentioned directly, but they should crop up naturally during some diplomacy development.

Velocity will affect combat, but I don't know you'll be able to attack during a jump/fall. From the dev-log:
I finally finished the basic simultaneous attack option today and spent some time double-stabbing rib cages in the arena with shiny blue daggers, that kind of thing. Charging works the same way now, using a move action and an attack action, but you won't have to run directly into somebody any more to get a momentum bonus if you have a velocity pointing in more or less the right direction. You can set the move with the attack or press a move once you've got an attack in your list. You can still just bump into people if you want to avoid the menus.
From DF Talk #21:
You can also set up mounts in the arena now, ‘cause I have, thats another thing about the move/combat speed split stuff, it counts your current momentum in the attack, as long as your momentum - your velocity vector or whatever, is pointing toward the guy and the guy is either not moving or not moving away faster from you so that there is actual motion toward the other person. And if a person is running at you, you actually get the same bonus. So as long as there's relative motion, that's at least ninety degrees. So it could be perpendicular motion, or motion toward the person, then you get a bonus to your swing speed that's in line with how fast you're moving, so, and it also takes into account the speed of anything you're riding.

Do you have any timescale for reintroducing dwarven economy, and what sort of changes (from 40d economy) it will have? Will the immigrant nobles return?
There's never a timeline for anything not worked on actively. The economy may return soonishly if Toady continues on to Taverns/Inns for the post-bugfix period.
It depends on what you mean by immigrant nobles, I guess. Just nobles immigrating to your fortress, rather than being elevated from your dwarves? Seems plausible enough. Specific nobles from the old versions? The Fortress Subgroups dev goal on the development page should cover most of them.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: July 14, 2013, 07:06:33 am »

I remember reading somewhere that currently a crocodile is basically a cow with shorter legs, which makes cows the superior fighters... yeah, fleshing out needs to happen before adding even more stuff. Seems like the kind of work the commmunity could do, though.

What kind of work will you outsource to the community, and what stuff will you absoutely do yourself?

I get the impression this is the kind of thing Toady would accept, like the wood data a while back.  Provided the data was sourced and referenced, then perhaps it would be viable to merge with the standard raws.  But with animals it's also a question of specific behavior which needs hardcoding, like with bees.  I don't know what state the animal raws are in now, or if they could be improved using existing tags.  If they could be though, I doubt a decent suggestion thread would go unnoticed.

Actually, wasn't there a project to rawify every animal under the sun a while back?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: July 14, 2013, 10:18:22 am »

Excellent, just dwarf sites and maybe kobold sites left. I would not mind having the release done, and then have kobold sites out in a sub-version or something like that.

With dwarf nobles being updated as in the devlog, does that mean we will be able to appoint a general from the king now, or a general will migrate with the king to your fortress?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: July 14, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »

I started today fixing a crash with deep sites and resolving various issues with elevating a baron from your dwarves (it needed to be updated after all of the changes with dwarven nobility from other sites, since dwarven nobility are now civilization-level positions with multiple associated profiles, and that has various ramifications for appointments, etc.).
Interesting

Do you guys plan on making dwarven nobility a little more closed over time, where they'll work more like a caste, or will they always be a little more open. Meaning, will they ever keep certain positions more likely to be given to relatives of noble families? Will a noble's relative that is not going to inherit any titles like, say, a Duke's third son or daughter, start their own family branches and retain their and their descendent's rank as nobles over time retaining some of the perks of being part of nobility?   

Another thing. I asked before if refusing to become a barony and retaining independence would lead to your fortress branching of into a separate civilization, and you more or less confirmed that something like this will happen. Are there any mechanics in the game for the next release that will support this option? 

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: July 14, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

Another thing. I asked before if refusing to become a barony and retaining independence would lead to your fortress branching of into a separate civilization, and you more or less confirmed that something like this will happen. Are there any mechanics in the game for the next release that will support this option? 
Since Toady hasn't talked about it, it's a pretty safe guess that declining barony will work the same as previously.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: July 14, 2013, 03:36:06 pm »

Do you guys plan on making dwarven nobility a little more closed over time, where they'll work more like a caste, or will they always be a little more open. Meaning, will they ever keep certain positions more likely to be given to relatives of noble families? Will a noble's relative that is not going to inherit any titles like, say, a Duke's third son or daughter, start their own family branches and retain their and their descendent's rank as nobles over time retaining some of the perks of being part of nobility?   

Nobility stands as it is, right now, because a lot of the systems haven't been laid on the ground yet, but seemingly it's going to change. You might have noticed that there's a slim chance of having nobility lineages amongst parents and their sons, when is not broken by calamity or an urge of necromancy (which requests the noble to leave their official position in worldgen); uncles and other extended relatives are just nominal, they don't have any relevance yet. As with nobles opening new entities during play, it might go hand-to-hand with our chance as adventurers to start our own entities, itself a planned feature.

In short, Yes-But-No-Timeline.

Ninja'd and well summarized by Cruxador.

Being that Toady hasn't spoke a word about more meaningful ways to affect the world outside the embark in the next release, I highly doubt such a feature could make the cut, aside from being another source of enemies (which are always welcome) and perhaps a strafe to avoid loyalty cascades, but nothing else. Even with fortress retirement as an option the lifespan of those emerging civilizations seems to be pretty short and desperate.

EDIT: Also, a question.
Now that forest fires became a real deal, are unlimited adventurer's campfires still avaliable? If they're not, are we getting firemaking as some sort of reaction, or maybe using Advance Interaction with some free-lying resources to do that?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:58:49 am by Valtam »
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 748