Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3744351 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10725 on: May 24, 2014, 05:41:16 am »

While you wait, here, have something I dreamt about today.

DF2014 dreams keep coming back!

[...]

The DF part was about Toady posting a devlog in which he mentioned that people have to take a shot of beer a day if he doesn't release the new version before the 28th of May, whiskey if it's not out by the 4th of June and whatever else afterwards.

[...]
Still, that's another DF2014 dream. Too bad I'm not legal to participate in Toady's drinking game, but I don't like alcohol anyway.

((Seven dreams? You're catching up :P)

It's still a lot more than most people on the forums who probably haven't dreamt about it once.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: May 24, 2014, 01:38:32 pm »

Never dreamed about it once. Not asleep anyway. My mid June release guessing and hunch seems to be holding pretty well.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: May 24, 2014, 04:46:50 pm »

I remembered having a dream about settling an outpost on a glacier once, and one where I'm playing adventurer mode as a dwarven wizard in the island of Uristlantis.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10728 on: May 24, 2014, 05:51:50 pm »

I once had a dream in a DF-like format, but not with dwarves. It was a sci-fi setting with human scientists in an underground complex. Bits were in ASCII and menus. I ended up raising the temperature in the hydroponic farms. (This was before RimWorld existed, if anyone's wondering.) Next thing I know, the crops overgrow into a tropical jungle and the humans devolve into little monkey people.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: May 24, 2014, 09:27:38 pm »

In relation to the new devlog:

The "work animals get appointed to positions" bug sounds interesting.  Having a horse given a position of power by an insane ruler is a trope with some basis in reality. I'm almost sad that toady caught it before the release.

Was the king who appointed the yak as general insane?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: May 24, 2014, 09:34:14 pm »

Does the liaison bug patch also fix the bug where other historical figures are similarly "fired" when they arrive and than leave your map area (Human diplomats, generals, etc.)
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: May 24, 2014, 09:59:19 pm »

Quote from: 5/24 devlog
Toady One The highlight of the last few bug-fixer sessions was definitely yesterday, when the king of my dwarves appointed a visiting merchant's yak as the general of the army while I was trading.

lol! This sort of reminds me of when Caligula made his favorite horse a consul. Though this one was much more random, it's the same kind of crazy.

In relation to the new devlog:

The "work animals get appointed to positions" bug sounds interesting.  Having a horse given a position of power by an insane ruler is a trope with some basis in reality. I'm almost sad that toady caught it before the release.

Except that it wasn't some random horse, it was Caligulas favorite horse. This sounds like it'd be a fun little feature, as long as it doesn't completely screw everything up.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:02:29 pm by smjjames »

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10732 on: May 24, 2014, 10:35:17 pm »

I have to ask... Was the yak a competent general?
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10733 on: May 25, 2014, 03:40:22 am »

That's no bug, Toady, that's an unintended feature.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: May 25, 2014, 03:55:01 am »

Hm.. What if an insane king could appoint something based on what he likes?

Like his wife dies, he has to kill his best friend and such, but he survives, mentally insane. He also likes cats, so he appoints his pet cat as General?

Sounds like a feature to me, with minor shaping.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: May 25, 2014, 04:37:25 am »

Hm.. What if an insane king could appoint something based on what he likes?

Like his wife dies, he has to kill his best friend and such, but he survives, mentally insane. He also likes cats, so he appoints his pet cat as General?

Sounds like a feature to me, with minor shaping.

Or maybe a monarch could appoint any deities they believe in to positions of power. Or demon lords could give positions to other demons.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: May 25, 2014, 05:24:29 am »

“Trade liaison Urist, is there anything the Mountain Homes need from us?” - “Neigh!”

No. For one, insanity as it currently exists strips away noble titles, and I'm quite certain that hasn't changed. For two, interesting insanity and insane decisions as those simply don't exist in the game yet.

Does the liaison bug patch also fix the bug where other historical figures are similarly "fired" when they arrive and than leave your map area (Human diplomats, generals, etc.)
I'd be surprised if it didn't fix those. I'd expect the same, now changed code, to be responsible. But I guess you never know.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: May 25, 2014, 06:52:38 am »

It did seemed like a feature. Of course it need to be shaped so only truly insane characters do that, and as pointed out that kind of insane is no in the game yet.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10738 on: May 25, 2014, 08:13:14 am »

Now that the same liaison will visit your fort will it be possible for some of the fort dwarves to eventually become friends with the liaison or are the liaison meetings considered strictly business?

I ask because since the liaison has contact with the same dwarf I'm curious if a friendship might build, but then again the meetings might not allow for the friendship to build.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10739 on: May 25, 2014, 08:39:51 am »

What would be more interesting is if you could infect the liaison with a syndrome. How would he react if you modded in snakes that caused vampirism and had one of them bite him? Is he going to continue being your liaison but return with a few hair and teeth from his victims next year? Would he spontaneously change his name during the meeting?
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 748