Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?  (Read 7827 times)

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 04:17:18 pm »

Good gods man! I'd rather tangle with a pride of lions than DARE to EVER swim anywhere NEAR a lake/river/ocean! Gods above!

So no need to invite you to come scuba diving with me next month then?
The big bad tuna fish might make you wet your diving suit :P.

That's implying that I would step anywhere near a diving suit. And I'd be more scared of jack-fish or pike than tuna.

Good gods, those things can get long. 'S why I don't swim in the local lake; - They got teeth, man.

Brr.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »

So do cats and dogs do you turn into a little girl around them as well?
Actually bad example none of my daughters are scared to go swimming in a lake.
Good gods man you know the odds of one of those horrible man eaters actually coming across you in an ocean?
I've been diving about 30 times in the last 12 years and only twice I came across sharks, and I'd gone specifically to go diving with sharks both times.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:12 pm »

Oceans aside, I think separate islands are a good idea. It promotes sea travel.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 04:22:24 pm »

It could work pretty well but I'd say only 2-3 islands so you have several clans per island.
If you have to travel by sea to come across other tribes it encourages isolationists as well.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 05:24:00 pm »

So do cats and dogs do you turn into a little girl around them as well?
Actually bad example none of my daughters are scared to go swimming in a lake.
Good gods man you know the odds of one of those horrible man eaters actually coming across you in an ocean?
I've been diving about 30 times in the last 12 years and only twice I came across sharks, and I'd gone specifically to go diving with sharks both times.

I was brutally attacked in the shallows by a nice beach, when I was six or seven. It was quick, devastating, and terrifying. People said I was lucky to have survived.

Goddamn turtles. They hurt.

On a side note, I think it's a phobia. I'm scared of deep water the same way I'm terrified of spiders. The chances that they could hurt me are abysmally low, but my hair still stands on edge, and I squeal like a bitch.

Would you really be this mean to somebody who had, say, a phobia of heights? Jeez, be sensitive, some of us have traumatic turtle pasts.

It could work pretty well but I'd say only 2-3 islands so you have several clans per island.
If you have to travel by sea to come across other tribes it encourages isolationists as well.

I'd just kill everybody else on my island, establish dominance and/or a throne of skulls.

I already said that's a bad idea, so, no.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 06:06:16 pm »

Actually I probably would.
Can't get over a fear without facing it first.
Hence why my friend who did have a fear of heights got given no choice in going sky diving with a few of us years ago.
I admit he did wet himself multiple times but it worked.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 06:23:21 pm »

Hence why my friend who did have a fear of heights got given no choice in going sky diving with a few of us years ago.

That wasn't dangerous.

Submersing yourself in a tub of poisonous spiders is dangerous. Swimming in a river full of crocodiles is dangerous.

I'm scared of the DANGERS spiders/rivers/oceans/little kids might pose.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 06:38:02 pm »

My phobias are a little weird. I have a massive fear of wasps and bees... I think it's only because I've never been stung before, though the way a wasp hovers is something that is particularly frightening for some reason. I have a problem with certain kind of spiders, but perfectly happy to hold a tarantula. The seas is just the fear of the unknown to me.

Also yeah, turtles. Just referring to the snapping turtle with the strongest jaw in the world (or strongest for it's size, I can't remember. Think it's about two tons of force behind it though.). Just like if a dog mauled you when you were wee would quite rightly, give a fear of dogs, I can understand your phobia. However, saying to others that it's insane to go swimming is... I hate to say it's amusing for just in case, but it is :P.
I recognise the dangers, but I also know the liklihoods. For instance, I know that around Scotland (not like I'd touch the freezing waters of Scotland...), there is a very very VERY small risk of shark attacks. If at all. But I also know not to dive here, since it's the only place in the world where if you can get a diving license, it works for everywhere in the world. It's dangerous because of the terrible visibility and eels.

I want islands. But I also think that everyone on seperate islands would induce isolationists. I know for a fact that I would be one of those. It could be 6 players, 3 islands. That'd work.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:35 pm »

Well, when I was seven, I did get attacked by a large dog. It was just warning me away though, but it took out a decent sized chunk of flesh on my left breast. Not that I have breasts, y'know. Still got the scar. Want pictures? Kekeke.

Yes! Exactly! Terrible visibility, unknown depths, THINGS LURKING...Probably why I hate the underside's of stairs, or anywhere that it feels like something could grab your ankles. Gods. Terrifying. (You live in Scotland? Is it as green and nice as they say...? My mother's fondest wish is to move to Scotland. Sounds like a nice place.)

And swimming is O.K, but swimming in monstrously dangerous oceans is NOT okay. Remember the Bloop in 1997? Google it if you don't. THAT'S WHAT'S WAITING DOWN THERE. Also, Deep Sea threads on /v/...Never pleasant. You're brave though, holding a tarantula. I guess I wouldn't mind, since it can't seriously harm me, but...Ugh. I'm terrified of the thought that a brown recluse/orb-weaver/banana spider/hobo spider/black widow might bite me, and I'll suffer a brutal death, full of agony and malice.

And, if it's 2 on an island, I'd just zerg rush the guy on my island; - I'll win, or die trying. Either way, he'll be screwed!

Also on the news, Caerwyn is a dick.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:31 pm »

xD. Camel Spiders is the ONE spider I REALLY don't want to even see. I was a kid when I held a tarantula, but I still retain my fascination of insects I've always had. Ants were one of my favorite animals for years.

Scotland's green until winter comes. It's FREEZING tho. We don't get summers most of the time. :P
Actually, we barely get winters with actual snow, and when it does snow, it causes havoc. But it is a nice place to live, though I can only vouch for living in the countryside.

Considering our kindred spirits, if we're on the same island, you'll not kill me, right? Unless I give reason to, naturally. :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 07:43:00 pm »

really? I live right next too the water and im not scared of it and there is no cultlulu hiding in there maybe if your unlucky a nurse shark might bite your hand off if you are careless i am trying to  lobstering 50 feet down and there isn't a cuthulu hiding waiting for snacks. and it is quite dark down there.

EDIT: i live on a island just so you know :P ( the keys: look it up)
Florida Keys? I had a summer school class there. Lovely place. Great reefs.

Good gods man! I'd rather tangle with a pride of lions than DARE to EVER swim anywhere NEAR a lake/river/ocean! Gods above!

So no need to invite you to come scuba diving with me next month then?
The big bad tuna fish might make you wet your diving suit :P.
Tuna? He'd get scared by a school of bluegills.

For the record, there were three inhabited islands in the first game. No one explored enough to see this for sure, but I did mention another island in the first or second turn.

I'd just kill everybody else on my island, establish dominance and/or a throne of skulls.
Heh, good luck...

I already said that's a bad idea, so, no.
Why is it a bad idea?

That wasn't dangerous.

Submersing yourself in a tub of poisonous spiders is dangerous. Swimming in a river full of crocodiles is dangerous.

I'm scared of the DANGERS spiders/rivers/oceans/little kids might pose.
Aside from Australian critters and a few others, including the kids, you wouldn't be hurt. You could avoid even that danger with minimal planning. Start with a daddy longlegs or a nice little lake.

Oh, and...Piranhas are river fish and overrated as far as deadliness goes, snakes are rarely found in open ocean and those that are are pretty small, "giant" snakes rarely attack humans and smaller ones only do so when provoked, krakens and Cthulhu are fictional, and sharks are not only mentioned twice but rather nonaggressive to anything that isn't a fish.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 07:45:02 pm »

Until somebody starts bleeding in the water..... then all bets are off.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04:11 pm »

Given that the subject which originated this line of discussion was fishing from a canoe, I don't think that would be an issue.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »

Fish blood :P.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »

Canoe.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7