Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?  (Read 7920 times)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: You're Islanders: Care to Offer Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 09:48:33 pm »

--Encourage fishing and other historically accurate Polynesian behaviors. Fishing comes to mind first.
--Preserve realism.
I would be very, very wary of these two. "Realistic" and "Historically accurate" tend to be those sorts of terms that are either there for no good reason or being misused in place of more specific goals.

So, in short, why realistic? What's so good about it? What parts of it are you interested in? Saying you want something to be "realistic" really isn't that different from saying you want it to be "like Star Wars." The only difference is that realism fanboys are less likely to realize they've got a problem.

Similar with "historically accurate." This you've got at least a bit more cause for since it's your theme, but you should still clarify just what "Polynesian" means.

(I don't intend to derail this thread, just want to put up the other side of this basic argument about fiction writing. This bit and I'm done. :) )

I'm a realism fanboy.

I don't object to things that are unrealistic, you just have to make a case for it based on your specific story goal. Most well crafted fiction starts with reality and then decides where the Acceptable Breaks are. Hack writing is starting with random BS and when someone calls you on it yelling "It's just a movie!"

For example I'm perfectly willing to accept Superman as a character. But he probably shouldn't be able to pick up cars by their bumpers. Something he often does in the various stories about him. That's silly, they'd break off in his hands, at least most modern bumpers would. The story concept is 'what if a man could fly and was super-strong?' not 'what if we lived in an alternate reality where all cars had specially reinforced bumpers?' By putting us in magic-bumper-world for their own convenience a lot of writers have missed one of the more interesting implications of being super-strong: That it would require great care to use it. Some people call pointing out things like that nitpicks. I call it pointing out places where the writers were lazy and cheated us out of enjoying a deeper narrative.

Reality is almost always better. You have to prove that it isn't. Not the other way around.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go play some TF2. I need to work on my rocket jumping. :P
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 10:00:55 pm »

I like crazy, random events and the impossible becoming possible.

We probably wouldn't like each other, Joben.

I also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »

-snip-
What? You don't like beetle racing? Its a good thing you're underground then buddy. Shit's gettin' raw up there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 10:37:14 pm »

I like crazy, random events and the impossible becoming possible.

We probably wouldn't like each other, Joben.

I also
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, this derail is continuing with this note, but...well, I don't either but it ranks higher than most FPSs IMHO. That doesn't mean I do well, mind you...or often...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 12:24:19 am »

I'd like to continue too.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2012, 09:07:40 am »

fishing versus hunting can be easy to fix. Joben covered alot of the disadvantages of a hunt, and I agree. Bows, spears and multiple people are needed for a good hunt. I would suggest a hunt be risky but with a worthy award, but you don't do it too often lest you risk injury/death.

Fishing, in certain cultures on rivers, is a very reliable food source with little to no risk. If you want fishing to be the main food source, then making it stable and easy would be the solution. Going on the notion that there are multiple ways of fishing, you could have canoe fishing with spears in a river/shallow waters be risk free but low yield (not horrendously low, but you're not going to suddenly make a large surplus, unless the fishers are pretty skilled.)
Net fishing in deeper waters, on the other hand, would require bigger canoe's, use nets and be harder to use, so you'd prefer trained or experienced fishers for them. They can get anything from low yield to very high, depending on the season and luck. In that case, it'd be a less risky version of hunting.
Then you got yoinking up crabs and things, which can be done by both children and women. I know many tribal and celtic cultures followed this line. It's easy food, but again, wouldn't provide much more than the day's food. Unless you find a beached shark :P

Just realised this is what Ebbor was talking about, but with some added mechanics. Anyway, that was my thought.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2012, 11:22:20 am »

fishing versus hunting can be easy to fix. Joben covered alot of the disadvantages of a hunt, and I agree. Bows, spears and multiple people are needed for a good hunt. I would suggest a hunt be risky but with a worthy award, but you don't do it too often lest you risk injury/death.

Fishing, in certain cultures on rivers, is a very reliable food source with little to no risk. If you want fishing to be the main food source, then making it stable and easy would be the solution. Going on the notion that there are multiple ways of fishing, you could have canoe fishing with spears in a river/shallow waters be risk free but low yield (not horrendously low, but you're not going to suddenly make a large surplus, unless the fishers are pretty skilled.)
Net fishing in deeper waters, on the other hand, would require bigger canoe's, use nets and be harder to use, so you'd prefer trained or experienced fishers for them. They can get anything from low yield to very high, depending on the season and luck. In that case, it'd be a less risky version of hunting.
Then you got yoinking up crabs and things, which can be done by both children and women. I know many tribal and celtic cultures followed this line. It's easy food, but again, wouldn't provide much more than the day's food. Unless you find a beached shark :P

Just realised this is what Ebbor was talking about, but with some added mechanics. Anyway, that was my thought.

"Little to no risk"

SHARKS
PIRHANAS
GIANT SNAKES
KRAKEN
C'THULHU
SHARKS

Can you explain to me how open water isn't the most dangerous and horrifying thing in existence? HAS THE DEEPEST DEPTHS OF THE OCEAN BEEN EXPLORED YET? No! Who KNOWS what HORRIBLE monstrosities lurk down there? Giant monsters of incredible evil? Ancient, slumbering gods of darkness? Good gods man! I'd rather tangle with a pride of lions than DARE to EVER swim anywhere NEAR a lake/river/ocean! Gods above!

YOU can send your villagers to be sacrificed to hungry mermen/mermaids, I'LL sit on my comfy island, chowing down on delicious roast wild boar and honeyed mangos with coconut milk to drink.

Also, GreatWyrm, maybe players could start out with their own little island? Six islands surrounding a large land-mass...It'd be nice to be protected, temporarily, from "Rushers". I don't know. Eh. Do whatever you wish, honestly. I await whatever the future brings!

Well, not the oceans though, I don't enjoy the thought of that. Wait. Islands would be a bad thing...Then we would have to boat to the main island...Uh...Yeah, scrap that. Gosh-darn ding-dang oceans.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2012, 12:02:49 pm »

xD Yeah, I share your fear of the deep, in all honesty. I don't like being in water where I can't see the bottom. :P

Totally meant to say that deeper water fishing is risky compared to shoreline scavenging and river fishing. But you're still far less likely to be attacked by a shark when you're on a canoe compared to a predator on land attacking you whilst on a hunt.
Snakes are as deadly on land as in water XD. Tho, if there are crocs, that would make rivers a little more dangerous.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2012, 12:09:46 pm »

xD Yeah, I share your fear of the deep, in all honesty. I don't like being in water where I can't see the bottom. :P

Totally meant to say that deeper water fishing is risky compared to shoreline scavenging and river fishing. But you're still far less likely to be attacked by a shark when you're on a canoe compared to a predator on land attacking you whilst on a hunt.
Snakes are as deadly on land as in water XD. Tho, if there are crocs, that would make rivers a little more dangerous.

Bull-sharks hunt in less than three feet of water. They're also extremely vicious, one of the VERY few breeds of sharks to just attack people because they can.

And don't get me started on god-awful CROCODILES. TEN FOOT LONG ARMORED DEMONS OF DEATH? They will grab you, drag you under, and wait for you to suffocate, so you can get nice and rotten. Disgusting things. Glad that you share in the terror that is known as deep water.

Shoreline scavenging is perfectly okay. Spear-fishing from the shores of a non-crocodile infested river is okay, too. And sure, snakes are deadly anywhere, but can you move faster and more accurately on land, or water? Plus, Pythons tend to live in the water, not on the land.

You're a reasonable man though, I like you.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2012, 12:29:34 pm »

Snakes, like most predators, are ambush predators. They won't rely on the chase to get you. :P Also, snakes kill crocs. Yeah. Good to know personally. Having said that, I hate hippos so much more.

Ok, bull sharks, I'll grant you. But until we MEET them, I'm going to assume they're not around these islands. :3

Deep waters are still fine in a large enough canoe/boat. Kraken and other mythical creatures aside. So, essentially, that is what the gm can make, which can make the waters good to fish. Reason can triumph over paranoia! :P

(Sometimes, I wonder if I'm too straight-laced for this forum. I don't know why, I'm crazier nearly everywhere else. Normally I'd say that we'd make armour out of turtle shells and become impregnable, or that our canoes have metre long spikes portruding at the bottom to kill incoming sharks and DOLPHINS! But no, I just state what I know XD)

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:56 pm »

Snakes, like most predators, are ambush predators. They won't rely on the chase to get you. :P Also, snakes kill crocs. Yeah. Good to know personally. Having said that, I hate hippos so much more.

Ok, bull sharks, I'll grant you. But until we MEET them, I'm goin g to assume they're not around these islands. :3

Deep waters are still fine in a large enough canoe/boat. Kraken and other mythical creatures aside. So, essentially, that is what the gm can make, which can make the waters good to fish. Reason can triumph over paranoia! :P

(Sometimes, I wonder if I'm too straight-laced for this forum. I don't know why, I'm crazier nearly everywhere else. Normally I'd say that we'd make armour out of turtle shells and become impregnable, or that our canoes have metre long spikes portruding at the bottom to kill incoming sharks and DOLPHINS! But no, I just state what I know XD)

Oh, yeah. Dolphins are evil as hell too. Did you know that the males will murder a female's children, so that they can mate with her? Also, Dolphins often enjoy gang-rape, several males to one female. They're brutal, cunning AND vicious. And we portray them as nice! HAH!

You're not too straight-edged, no worries. And tortoise shell armor would be possible...Probably. I don't know. Maybe it'd make a better pot for soup or something.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2012, 12:59:54 pm »

really? I live right next too the water and im not scared of it and there is no cultlulu hiding in there maybe if your unlucky a nurse shark might bite your hand off if you are careless i am trying to  lobstering 50 feet down and there isn't a cuthulu hiding waiting for snacks. and it is quite dark down there.

EDIT: i live on a island just so you know :P ( the keys: look it up)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:02:15 pm by wer6 »
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »

XD Lions are the same in terms of killing the previous male's cubs before mating with the females. Very unsurprised, me.

Still, dolphins are the second most intelligent lifeform on this earth behind mice. AND they kick shark's asses, even to save us, so! Evil or not (not like humanity's not evil) they are friends. :P

Also, this is now WAYYYY off topic.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2012, 01:04:43 pm »

i was gunna make a pun about going going to catch my dinner of dolphins and shark souls but i decided against it.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »

Good gods man! I'd rather tangle with a pride of lions than DARE to EVER swim anywhere NEAR a lake/river/ocean! Gods above!

So no need to invite you to come scuba diving with me next month then?
The big bad tuna fish might make you wet your diving suit :P.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7