Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche: 44.11+  (Read 135319 times)

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stress & Pysche: 44.11+
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2018, 04:51:46 pm »

The 15 minutes cleaning up after a battle where a couple of dwarfs died (previous to this stress was uniform below 1000 for all dwarfs).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had no idea it could rise exponentially. Having it rise linearly up to a foregone, unavoidable conclusion is bad enough.

Also this is how a tailor's brain looked like after an outpost liason hammered a wild parrot in the surface and a chained owl in the tavern. The non existent goblin body is referenced amongst the dead parrot tears.
Never mind why there was an owl in the tavern.

Dfhack it is.

Was just coming to this conclusion as well... as the very nice person suggested above - use DFHACK - however, I have watched my dwarves getting back to haggard from max-unstressed-ale-for-everyone in a single year. I really hope it's not going to go faster, otherwise you can't even automate with DFHACK because they will spiral way too quickly for the automation to catch - unless there's a DAILY time interval - I will look that up next.

sigh.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2018, 05:16:17 pm »

The 15 minutes cleaning up after a battle where a couple of dwarfs died (previous to this stress was uniform below 1000 for all dwarfs).

I had no idea it could rise exponentially. Having it rise linearly up to a foregone, unavoidable conclusion is bad enough.

Also this is how a tailor's brain looked like after an outpost liason hammered a wild parrot in the surface and a chained owl in the tavern. The non existent goblin body is referenced amongst the dead parrot tears.
Never mind why there was an owl in the tavern.

Dfhack it is.

Was just coming to this conclusion as well... as the very nice person suggested above - use DFHACK - however, I have watched my dwarves getting back to haggard from max-unstressed-ale-for-everyone in a single year. I really hope it's not going to go faster, otherwise you can't even automate with DFHACK because they will spiral way too quickly for the automation to catch - unless there's a DAILY time interval - I will look that up next.

sigh.

It's kind of counter-intuitive, but as long as we are talking about accelerating returns and geometric progression, speed doesn't really matter. The end result is always inf or approaches inf, and the process will always achieve the end result no matter what. Speed only determines the point in the graph where it goes straight up.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »

sigh.
The repeat command in dfhack can run daily or even every tick (https://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/_auto/base.html#repeat).

It's kind of counter-intuitive, but as long as we are talking about accelerating returns and geometric progression, speed doesn't really matter. The end result is always inf or approaches inf, and the process will always achieve the end result no matter what. Speed only determines the point in the graph where it goes straight up.
I can't see any exponential trends, just extreme trends. I altered my graph as I realised I was using a square root y scale giving an inaccurate impression of the changes. With a linear scale my last 4 hours of play look like this:

Those three having the extreme reactions all the time are the ones with the high hate propensity who keep running into vultures. The difference the hate propensity causes in the reaction is more obvious on the linear scale. They might actually have some sort of vulture phobia.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2018, 06:37:27 pm »

Quote from: billw date=1535408987
They might actually have some sort of vulture phobia.

He is filled with fury, for he knows his time is short.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2018, 11:29:13 pm »

Now the performer has a skill level of 11 for both poet and speaker so there's no reason dwarves witnessing the performance should be receiving a negative thought.

Some people/dwarves are philistines? Did you check into the dwarves preferences/beliefs? I haven't had an issue with performers that I have noticed.
Obviously the poet or speaker dwarves can cause bad thoughts to dwarves when performing in a temple... so I will just switch to a different performer.  This definitely seems like a bug.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2018, 11:39:17 pm »

Alternatively, it might be due those dwarves individual values. Given most performances don't do this, this definitely seems like a feature.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2018, 03:14:39 am »

My dwarves until i give them some discipline training recount deaths as virtually (aka-literally) recent.

This shows that memories (aren't actually psuedo-real like real memories) but memories recurring related to beings & people are actually artificially simulated strings of code from the existing unit ID that hasn't dispelled more than once and output a emotional reaction, because after passing the morale check, what was horrifying eventually just moulds into not caring about animals and third party beings whilst being both drunk & competent discipline, and alarmed or uneasy at anything more on more serious subjects.

Which is a teeny bit more useful than the effects of madness that i told you about regarding my screaming farmer who did so interrupting their actions for years for them to blunt their memories like this and remain positively sozzled on alcohol (which doesn't quite deliver memories as Toady originally pined for).

> Occasionally remembering a activity like remembering a particularly nice table they noticed will spike the need to view art it's related to, im sure that remembering reading a book would also starve off going to the library.

Important facts like this help us work with our dwarves during particularly difficult memories by knowing how they work and how to best replace their head-space with fluffy bunnies. Though the stimulus of having horribly horribly stressful memories triggering tantrums is relatively funny, but the fortress guards are too eager to kill over beatings.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2018, 03:56:08 am »

My dwarves until i give them some discipline training recount deaths as virtually (aka-literally) recent.
Hmm maybe that is why I am having more luck with my current fort. Even given the vulture issues, my average stress is -3000 or so, and the majority are around 0 most of the time. Things I have done differently this time: weather is off (probably a big one given the next item), all dwarves are in squads and they train outside two months a year (to keep cave adaptation low). I did notice that discipline was above 0 for a lot of my dwarves, I guess the training is the cause.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2018, 04:04:39 am »

They will level discipline off a single corpse remembering it, so it isn't hard to push a few of them into eventually becoming dull & numb to it due to just the way memory works which is kind of hacky.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2018, 06:10:06 am »

In previous versions (43.05 probably), I've noticed my companions getting embarrassed from hearing ribald poetry, so it's possible that they can have those kinds of reactions.

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2018, 01:56:34 pm »

A silver lining of the current stress system is that stress and idleness tend to be pretty heavily correlated, so if you sort Dwarf Therapist by happiness when assigning new jobs you can easily increase efficiency and reduce unhappiness in one fell swoop.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2018, 02:19:23 pm »

A silver lining of the current stress system is that stress and idleness tend to be pretty heavily correlated, so if you sort Dwarf Therapist by happiness when assigning new jobs you can easily increase efficiency and reduce unhappiness in one fell swoop.

Correlated in which direction? I've assumed overwork induces stress due to reduced time to meet needs, but certain dwarves have the need to keep busy.

a52

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes crows for their intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2018, 03:21:13 pm »

Correlated in which direction? I've assumed overwork induces stress due to reduced time to meet needs, but certain dwarves have the need to keep busy.

I've found (at least in my fort), unmet needs are fairly constant, so idle dwarves tend to be more unhappy.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2018, 04:47:55 pm »

See attached 0010874: Having conversations does not train Conversationalist skill, i wonder if the post-partying changes to social stat change affected this.

Many such needs for dwarves are social, if they aren't good at maintaining current relationships and forming new ones, as we are well aware they will get lonely and upset at different rates depending on the temperament of the dwarf.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2018, 09:27:14 pm »

Is there any *vanilla* way to monitor monitor the reduction in stress?  Do happy thoughts reduce stress?  Does having needs fulfilled reduce stress?  Does being idle (as observed above) reduce stress?   Or is it simply that avoiding stress allows it to time out eventually?

The introduction of stress seems to be fairly obvious (unhappy thoughts, and maybe working too much??), but the reverse is really hard to understand.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 36