Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 719

Author Topic: Life Begins At Death - Epilogue: We Live And Live Again  (Read 538199 times)

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Life Begins At Death - Chapter 6: Enjoying the Gub Life?
« Reply #10590 on: June 26, 2015, 04:47:07 pm »

See if I can move the thing with my focus. Otherwise, begin to study the intricate focus in that dead guy's pelvis.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: June 27, 2015, 12:35:45 am »

Kevin, try to cast "ascend self to godhood" from the mantra. Nothing could possibly go wrong!
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: June 27, 2015, 05:22:13 am »

Otherwise, begin to study the intricate focus in that dead guy's pelvis.
I love this forum where stuff like this is normal
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: June 27, 2015, 02:20:40 pm »

"That was most peculiar. Is everyone alri--Good surgeon Mark? Good surgeon Mark, are you there?" There was a pause. "Oh dear."

The desk looked around trying to see if he could spot the wayward companion. "Good mage Wilma, did you see what happened to good surgeon Mark? Where did he go?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:52 am »

In the not so lonely void...

Mark maneuvers himself into a more advantageous position on the eel, trying to find a nicer place from which to maneuver it, as pulling on the handholds here doesn't appear to be doing much. Climbing a little higher, he observes the exact same kind of handholds, still rather easy to hold on to. It's a bit odd, he thinks, since he doesn't recall actual eels having such convenient handholds. Maybe these are for some variety of void barnacle? Seems like a big enough beast to have barnacles, anyway. It also appears to have a very small soul when one compares it to the beast's body, nestled somewhere deep inside. Most unusual.

Meanwhile Morton tries to get his bearings. "That was most peculiar. Is everyone alri--Good surgeon Mark? Good surgeon Mark, are you there?" he asks, receiving no reply. "Oh dear."

The desk looks around for a moment, but sees no real trace of his associate, although he does vaguely perceive rapid movement off in the distance, which is an ominous hint to say the least. "Good mage Wilma, did you see what happened to good surgeon Mark? Where did he go?" he asks.

"I don't know!" she snaps back. "Something swooped over you, and then he was gone. I... think something wants us dead, to be honest, so I'd really appreciate it if you went a little faster in the direction of that light. Though maybe that wants us dead, too?" she sighs. "I don't know. When will this be over? I don't like all this mortal peril we're in."

In a ditch by a road, specifics unknown...

Kevin decides to embrace his vagrancy and just sleep in this ditch for a while, curling up into an anonymous humanoid blob that could be confused for a wayward stump in the dark. He can't really check if he's invisible from the road, but it also probably doesn't matter. At least not to his tired brain. Reality slowly transitions into pleasant, unremarkable half-dreams before becoming entirely irrelevant.

When he awakens, he notes that he hasn't been in any way eaten, stabbed or robbed in his sleep, and that he has kept roughly the same position as well. In addition, he's now a few steps beyond merely hungry, and feels like he is somewhere between starving and ravenous, with a tendency toward the latter. It's a very distracting impulse, he finds.

Within the Black Tower of Eckledun...

Scott does not seem very pleased to hear from Francine.

"From a fiendish trap and a battle against magical perversion and Xylophagic cowards! I charge you to answer for the current state of affairs 'fore I lay its cause at your 'feet'!" he shouts at nothing in particular, since Francine's not really in visual range.

~What? Do you know what's happening?~ Francine speaks into his mind. ~Because I'd sure like to know. I've never seen this much pink! And then right after the emergency meeting the tower suddenly exploded, and I strongly suspect I'm the only one left!~

In a monolithic entrance chamber...

Sigmund attempts to lift the strange magical obelisk with his focus, carefully preparing a field of pressure around it and applying a little more force from below.

[Magic roll: 3]

The pillar lifts slightly, but it's clearly a bit of an undertaking to make it go much of anywhere. Using this as a weapon - indeed, using any stone as a weapon - may be a bit more dynamic a use of his focus than what Sigmund's used to. It's all very fine and good when one tries to shape stone, or slowly lift it, but actually throwing or jabbing it at something is a much more artful thing, and requires more precision exhibited in a smaller window of time, which amounts to considerable complication. The process requires some refinement, clearly.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: June 28, 2015, 06:40:00 am »

Climb to the beasts soul and inspect it from close range before trying to cut it out to inspect it closer

(I know this is probally a really stupid thing to do but !!MEDICINE!!)
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: June 28, 2015, 09:48:37 am »

Tell me, what was being discussed?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: June 29, 2015, 03:51:05 am »

See if I can take some of these clothes off. If I can, will myself some food IN FRONT OF ME.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: June 29, 2015, 08:59:04 am »

Hmmmm. Get near the door. See if it opens. If not, try giving it a mental order. If that doesn't work, try touching it in different places, or stepping in different places. Maybe one of hese things activates the mechanism.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: June 30, 2015, 01:40:43 am »

Hmmmm. Get near the door. See if it opens. If not, try giving it a mental order. If that doesn't work, try touching it in different places, or stepping in different places. Maybe one of hese things activates the mechanism.
He probably locked the door behind him.

See if I can take some of these clothes off. If I can, will myself some food IN FRONT OF ME.
Don't forget to add "remove outermost layer of clothes" to the mantra.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »

"But... Good surgeon Mark! He could be in danger, or--or..." The desk was aware there probably wasn't much he could do, and to try and rescue Mark could lead to Wilma's death.

The tea apostle sighed. "You are right, good mage Wilma. I shall ferry you to the light. But after I see you out of the realm, I'll go back for good surgeon Mark. One must never leave an ally behind."

Begin ferrying Wilma towards the red light.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:11 am »

In the vast and lonely void...

Mark decides to find a better vantage point on the soul of this sinister beast, and begins to climb on the handholds, finding them relatively easy to navigate. Traversing the breadth of the eel this way, he comes to a spot where the handholds stop, aside from one strangely circular one - feeling around it, Mark does believe this to be some kind of hatch, which seems like an odd thing for an eel to have. Though it does seem like a very convenient way to get to the soul, especially given Mark's lack of quality cutting implements. Seeing no better method for doing so, he tries twisting the handhold, and is pleased to note that it does seem to be giving way - about three turns of the handhold and the hatch comes open, revealing a shaft bathed in red light, a ladder leading deeper down into the eel along its side - not one to let opportunities go to waste, Mark climbs right down, the hatch automatically shutting behind him as he descends to what he thinks might be the middle of the thing.

He then finds himself in a narrow, cramped hallway filled with odd elongated metal structures - like segmented pipes, shiny and dark, with protrusions similar to the little horns on vertebrae. In fact, these might just be spines, though there's a whole lot more of them than Mark would reasonably expect in an eel, even a giant one. The interior is humming very loudly, and Mark has occasional trouble standing as the eel veers this way or that. The hallway seems to have two openings along the side, and one opening at the very end, which is where Mark notices the soul he's been looking for, kept in some kind of smaller vessel he can't quite make out from here.

Meanwhile, Morton evaluates the urgency of helping good surgeon Mark. "But... Good surgeon Mark! He could be in danger, or--or..." he begins to say before it strikes him that there's probably not much he can do for Mark that Mark couldn't somehow manage for himself, probably by some ridiculous method or another. "You are right, good mage Wilma. I shall ferry you to the light. But after I see you out of the realm, I'll go back for good surgeon Mark. One must never leave an ally behind."

"I'm, uh, sure he's all right," says good mage Wilma, though it's clear she very much doubts the fact herself. They say nothing more as Morton starts to pick up speed toward the light, hoping that it makes some kind of difference at least. Barely a minute passes, however, when Morton suddenly gets a bit of a bad feeling.

[Morton's dodge roll: 1]

And as he considers what this could possibly mean, he suddenly finds himself in complete darkness along with good mage Wilma, who inadvertently separates from him when they impact an unpleasant, though mercifully soft wall and each go their own way. Morton finds himself tumbling down some sort of passage, eventually coming to a stop against another, even softer wall, an impact that almost distracts him from a great metallic sliding sound from right behind him, a slam indicating that some sort of door just shut behind him.

In the ruined Black Tower of Eckledun...

Scott flits about distrustfully as he and Francine exchange words. Wonder where she is - above or below? Seems unlikely she could be very near to the destroyed bits.

"Tell me, what was being discussed?" he asks.

~Well, this is going to need some context, so here goes: Susanne's head suddenly exploded. Literally. She was our diviner and, well, director... and looking out the top window, Tom saw that there was some kind of pink stuff happening in town, and pretty massively at that. So that's instantly a high alert for us and HQ. He sent word to the guys down south, like we're supposed to, and then then they all - except for me, since I could follow along without being there - met where you are now and quickly decided that the best thing to do when your director's head explodes was probably to evacuate and not hang around for long - I was going to go join them, but it'd take me a bit to get there, and I told them they probably should go right away without me... and they did, but something happened with the teleport, and then I heard them screaming - mentally screaming, I mean - and then there was a huge explosion, and the tower nearly fell over, but it seems to be kind of holding up for now?~ Francine nervously recounts, then pauses. ~Long story short, I think they're all dead now. And I don't want to move too much because my room's a bit safer than outside, and I'm not sure I can even get down from my floor - I think the stairs are out, and I don't dare even try teleporting after what happened.~

She mulls over something for a moment or so, then speaks once more. ~It... wouldn't be too much to ask for you to help me out a bit, would it? I can't get down on my own, and you should have telekinesis. I just need to get clear of the tower, and preferably the town as well. I'll only need one big mostly skyward push.~

At the bottom of a ditch...

Kevin quickly checks if his clothes haven't suddenly melded into his flesh, a vital part of any morning for him. They have not, so he removes the outermost layer, and then proceeds to try and will some food into existence for himself.

[Will roll: 1-2]

He looks at an empty patch of weeds, and imagines a lovely steak materializing into being on the spot, his mind wandering through the delights of its texture, smell, flavor and the sheer hunger it will serve to alleviate, the satisfaction building inside him as he sinks his teeth into it, drawing a healthy amount of cooked juices out of it, his entire being orienting itself for an incoming meal, which feels... a tad stringy. And cold, and... it kind of hurts?

Kevin opens his eyes, and notices he's bitten his own hand. Rather deeply at that. It's bleeding quite a lot. And it says quite a bit about Kevin's current state that he is sorely tempted to actually keep at it to see if he can get a decent chunk out of his hand to at least chew on for a while.

In a mostly sealed entrance chamber...

Sigmund strides toward the closed door and checks out what its problem is, since it doesn't seem about to open for him at any point. He orders it to open, but it remains steadfastly closed, and stepping around this way or that or even giving it the pawing of its life doesn't help.

What catches his eye, though,  is that the mechanism for the door is magical in nature, and seems to be based on receiving a command - or, rather, an impulse of activity within a two meter radius - from some other magical apparatus, and the mechanism has the same kind of janky coordinate system attached to it as the pillar.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:42:41 am by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: July 01, 2015, 08:19:16 am »

((There is a slight problem with the turn, Harry))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: July 01, 2015, 08:24:06 am »

((There is a slight problem with the turn, Harry))

Why, so there is! Should be all better now, though.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:23 am »

So, Sigmund is enclosed in a room of summoned stone, with the only means of getting out would be to manually create  magic artifact compatible with a magic door. With a dead guy whose pelvis is a telekinetic focus, and some kind of murderous beast around. Nice. Well, at least there are some things to do here while the bone mage arrives.

Begin to analize the telekinetic focus. Is it too different from my stone-moving focus?
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 719