Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39

Author Topic: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Conical Difficulties  (Read 67677 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: (KSP LP) Bay12 Space Program: Pictures Again!
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2014, 11:21:00 am »

We need more science before we can get anything.

We have 23 Science. Flight Control is 45, Aerodynamics 90. Also, launching rockets to other biomes has been almost as unsuccessful as launching rockets to Minmus.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 10, 2014, 11:44:34 am »

We have 23 Science. Flight Control is 45, Aerodynamics 90. Also, launching rockets to other biomes has been almost as unsuccessful as launching rockets to Minmus.

Hm.  Can we get one into orbit and then deorbit at various places to hit more biomes?  I think a multistager might do the trick for that.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 10, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »

Hm.  Can we get one into orbit and then deorbit at various places to hit more biomes?  I think a multistager might do the trick for that.

The "Get one into orbit" is where we're having problems :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 10, 2014, 02:55:34 pm »

It might be easier if I cut down the payload to a tenth of the current size.

The problem will be landing anything like precisely. And most of Kerbin is water, which has already been quite explored.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2014, 03:22:34 pm »

I believe, contrary to popular wisdom, you might have to learn how to walk before launching giant rockets at the Mun.

With the whole Jeb business, I forgot there were still biomes we could science out. You have two possibilities: Either adapt the JebRescuer 6+b (or just use it directly) for such an endeavour, or build a new rocket.

If you do the new rocket, try the following, very simple design: First, the lander. Use the same design you've already had: Capsule, parachute, one materials bay and three landing legs.
Then, the last stage. Add a single of the larger fuel tanks to it (no clue what the name is). Add any engine - then test it (probably the shorter engine). Can it lift off? If so, try a less powerful engine and/or larger fuel tank. If it doesn't use a smaller fuel tank and/or more powerful engine. Test until it barely lifts of. Note the handling of the whole thing - it should be comparatively easy to handle.
Then, the first stage. Double the fuel tanks used above should be good. Again, an engine, more powerful than the first one. Same iterative design procedure. You only want it to lift slowly.
Lastly, attach three to six SRBs. Those give you the speed you want to have. Test it again. It works? Great, then add three to six winglets between the SRBs for stability.
The whole assembly should put you in space. Basically, this is something I have seen at the Minmusshot, I believe you try reaching orbit with SRBs only. That does not work, usually, due to their inefficiency. Like in real life, SRBs give you thrust to lift off, get to about 100-200m/s, then the liquid fuel engines take over with a TWR of slightly above one and get you up up and away.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2014, 03:55:13 pm »

Manley just made a super simple rocket for orbit. Replace SAS with empty pods. You can easily lob at biomes with it.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 10, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »

This thread convinced me to buy KSP. Thanks, guys.

My first attempts failed miserably. I finally figured out that it was because stages deploy from highest to lowest, not lowest to highest.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 10, 2014, 04:36:30 pm »

This thread convinced me to buy KSP. Thanks, guys.

My first attempts failed miserably. I finally figured out that it was because stages deploy from highest to lowest, not lowest to highest.

They deploy from the bottom of the list on the screen. Numbers don't matter. The bottom vehicle stage is the bottom listed stage.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 10, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »

I wonder what way he built...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 10, 2014, 06:26:33 pm »

I kept manually switching the stage grouping because they kept trying to change back to the right way.

In other news, I have developed a large variety of ways to successfully launch Kerbals into inanimate objects at extreme velocities. The devices used also successfully augment combustability dramatically.
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 10, 2014, 07:50:41 pm »

-snip-
That was...detailed.

I believe you try reaching orbit with SRBs only.
I've been trying to get to orbit with one stage of solid boosters followed by a stage of liquid fuel.

I kept manually switching the stage grouping because they kept trying to change back to the right way.

In other news, I have developed a large variety of ways to successfully launch Kerbals into inanimate objects at extreme velocities. The devices used also successfully augment combustability dramatically.
I don't feel as bad now. Thanks!

I'll update shortly.
Sig

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 10, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »

Well, I only started playing this afternoon, and already have at least thirty-one successful crashes. I failed on a few because I couldn't get it going fast enough for the parachute to fall off. I haven't figured out how to break the parachute reliably yet. Any pointers?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 10, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »

Well, I only started playing this afternoon, and already have at least thirty-one successful crashes. I failed on a few because I couldn't get it going fast enough for the parachute to fall off. I haven't figured out how to break the parachute reliably yet. Any pointers?

Wat? You want to know how to break the parachute off?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 10, 2014, 08:14:07 pm »

Well, yeah, otherwise I can't get the rocket going fast enough to crash.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 10, 2014, 08:19:13 pm »

Well, yeah, otherwise I can't get the rocket going fast enough to crash.

Can't you just not add/deploy the parachutes in the first place?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39