Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844796 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #8175 on: July 04, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »

You'd probably want a wide raft or something, to distribute the weight of you and all your stuff.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8176 on: July 05, 2020, 05:29:46 am »

You'd probably want a wide raft or something, to distribute the weight of you and all your stuff.
Catamaran or an outrigger would also do

Elemental mercury = vapors are dangerous, passes skin but very slowly, ingestion actually is not very dangerous because your digestive system won't pick it up.

Ethylmercury = Thimerosal (the vaccine preservative) metabolizes into this, otherwise rare. Neurotoxic, but not overly dangerous because it doesn't bio-accumulate.

Methylmercury = Nightmare chemical. Heavily bio-accumulative, and hence is the kind they warn you about in fish even though it's not much present in the water. Any significant concentration will dissolve your nervous system and kill you horribly, as one scientist infamously found out - it took her two years to die as I recall. Penetrates rubber gloves and skin.

Elemental mercury is so dense that you might not be able to sail across it per se - the ship won't sink and thus could tip over. You could theoretically walk across a sea of it, sinking partially depending on your density and that of your equipment.

Mercury poisoning is cured by chelation therapy - this is not very effective against methylmercury, though. As far as I know it works fine on elemental mercury. Materials used for chelation are liable to kill you if you don't measure it proportionate to what is being removed.

A good summary of chemical hazards can be found by searching for an appropriate Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). Here's one for elemental mercury.
mega noice

Build your ship out of tungsten carbide.
I already have one player who is champing at the bit to make orbital tungsten bombardment a reality, I feel like such a thing would have unintended consequences

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: July 05, 2020, 07:44:35 am »

Build your ship out of tungsten carbide.
I already have one player who is champing at the bit to make orbital tungsten bombardment a reality, I feel like such a thing would have unintended consequences
*Drow sign language* "Excuse us but what the fuck"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or, or, maybe the bottom of the world wraps around to the top of the sky, and a rod manages to pierce the bedrock.  Cue a periodic rain of valuable ore meteorites, if you can bear the constant supersonic scream of the falling rod.  I feel like it'd spawn tornadoes, no, firestorms over time...  Debris blocking out the sun...  Basically the first level of DND Hell.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: July 05, 2020, 10:08:18 am »

Are there any naturally deaf creatures in DnD?

There are plenty without ears, but...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8179 on: July 06, 2020, 03:52:31 am »

Interesting thought! I know some monsters feature a core mechanic that revolves around real disabilities, but nothing specifically jumps to mind regarding the deaf. Plus, that kind of thing edges awfully close to disrespecting those who legitimately suffer from such a disability. While I can get behind the idea of an elderly NPC that simply screeches "WHAT?!" at the players, I don't know that I'd be comfortable with anything that made light of the difficulties faced by those born without hearing, especially knowing one personally and being good friends with their brother.

Interestingly, Pathfinder 1e does have a creature that carries a deaf tag, the Akata. Given that it's a hairless blue space-lion with tentacles for a mane, I don't think it edges too close to being disrespectful either. Unless, of course, you self-identify as a hairless blue space-lion. No worries though, just be sure to give me a heads up and I'll make sure I avoid disrespecting your body identity in-game. Also, no, I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in helping you LARP your character.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8180 on: July 06, 2020, 07:28:22 am »

The monster isn't deaf but the false hydra homebrew comes to mind.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8181 on: July 06, 2020, 08:15:15 am »

I thought of it in respect to Dark Souls, which has a couple enemies who are lacking a sense, but doesn't rub it in your face. I know there are blind creatures in DnD, though most have Blindsight, which removes that aspect from avoiding them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8182 on: July 06, 2020, 08:32:47 am »

Hey guys, an amazing anon on /tg/ found a DND chick tract in a yard sale

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tbh at least Marcie learned not to play DND, and learned instead to play real cult classics like Dark Heresy

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8183 on: July 06, 2020, 08:54:01 am »

I had that one as a kid.  They used to be pretty common, especially in payphone booths.  Every once in a while you'll find one left in some conspicuous place, on top of public bathroom dryers is the usual spot.  A rare surprise now though.  Also bumper sticker people.  People would show up at public events in parks like baseball games with religious bumper stickers all over their cars and lurk around the bleachers, and if you went to look at the bumper stickers they'd show up and give you a chick tract.  I got one like that before I learned my lesson, it was this one though.

One of the things we lost with the march of time, I'm nostalgic now.
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8184 on: July 06, 2020, 12:21:42 pm »

I had that one as a kid.  They used to be pretty common, especially in payphone booths.  Every once in a while you'll find one left in some conspicuous place, on top of public bathroom dryers is the usual spot.  A rare surprise now though.  Also bumper sticker people.  People would show up at public events in parks like baseball games with religious bumper stickers all over their cars and lurk around the bleachers, and if you went to look at the bumper stickers they'd show up and give you a chick tract.  I got one like that before I learned my lesson, it was this one though.

Lmao I can't think of a hell worse than St. Peter reviewing your internet history

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8185 on: July 06, 2020, 12:45:25 pm »

Lmao I can't think of a hell worse than St. Peter reviewing your internet history

It's fun to laugh at now but I was like 9 when I got it and it fucking terrified me
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8186 on: July 06, 2020, 01:02:28 pm »

Jack Chick is an amazing window into a hyperspecific late-80s/early-90s American political pathology for the sections of the Protestant apocalyptic religious right that just sort of assumed they'd either get to go theocracy or that the Antichrist was just around the corner. The only other thing that really stands clearly alongside him in that is the Left Behind books.

The thing that strikes me most about that strain is that it seems to have picked up on edgy atheists saying "Heaven would be a horrible dictatorship" and liberal Christians saying "No, heaven is mystical and wonderful!" and then because they hate the liberal Christians even more than the atheists responding "Actually, heaven is a horrible dictatorship and you should be GRATEFUL that your KING AND LORD even offers that much, you fucking swine!" Like, they seriously describe heaven in terms worse than hell sometimes, which of course the edgy atheists then picked up in turn for pro-hell memes the rest of the 90s.

I could go on, but suffice it to say I find the whole thing the best bit of Christian fanfic since Dante.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8187 on: July 06, 2020, 01:05:16 pm »

Still, his art is great and his lore makes for a good WoD setting or DRYH setting. See how long you can make it before the Lord notices you've strayed from the path

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8189 on: July 06, 2020, 01:26:11 pm »

Funny you would mention that...
Reminds me of that /int/ post apocalyptic setting where the Christian fundamentalist terrorists are fighting to try and blow up the reality anchor that is slowly tearing God apart

"We must dissent"
t. best girl in SMAC
Pages: 1 ... 544 545 [546] 547 548 ... 623