Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2209929 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now testing mods.
« Reply #11850 on: March 01, 2016, 11:06:37 pm »

Not a clear progress report. I will make one tomorrow maybe, but I'm basically modding in some suggestions from the recent comments.

EDIT: trying to mod. Rustiness and complexity slow me down.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:12:16 pm by Nakéen »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: March 01, 2016, 11:13:39 pm »

No rush at all, I'd certainly like to see symbiotic possession working in favor of us for once.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:08 pm »

I created a new building based off Splint post : the "Altar". It will be where the obsidian hearts will be offered.

Also, obvious problem concerning the Einherjar/Possession/Incarnation/Whatever, it is the recurring problem of inflicting syndromes with reactions. Without DF-Hack, it is so unreliable it is not feasible.

Also made a dummy item named "mug-atomic bomb", but as you would expect, it doesn't do anything. I also created a building named "mug-atomic bomb", which is basically a building to expose your bomb in your room/hallway/armory. Useless but pretty, I guess.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:35 am »

Could you make it cave itself in, or exist on different z-levels so it can collapse?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: March 02, 2016, 12:16:43 am »

Inhaled syndromes are always hit-or-miss. I've found the best solution is to lock the door out of the room the shop is in to prevent pathing out of the cloud.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: March 02, 2016, 12:24:49 am »

Could you make it cave itself in, or exist on different z-levels so it can collapse?
I'm assuming you are speaking of the custom building ? Buildings can't exist on different z-levels.

Inhaled syndromes are always hit-or-miss. I've found the best solution is to lock the door out of the room the shop is in to prevent pathing out of the cloud.
Yes, this is the best solution. But still, there is the problem of gas inhalation (I made a thread somewhere about it). Success rate will be at best 20% if I remember well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:57 am »

If there was a way to  make it a contact syndrome, then that'd work maybe.... provided the dwarf wasn't wearing gloves.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: March 28, 2016, 04:48:44 am »

So, there was a discussion a while back about how railguns are currently basically high-contact area blunt weapons, because small-contact-area weapons aren't really sufficiently overpowered for this situation.

I'd like to see what happens if you take a small-contact-area weapon, and begin adding velocity until you either find some kind of cap, or make it effective. High-relativistic personal railguns are super tech-fantasy, but if that's needed, I support it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: March 28, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »

So, there was a discussion a while back about how railguns are currently basically high-contact area blunt weapons, because small-contact-area weapons aren't really sufficiently overpowered for this situation.

I'd like to see what happens if you take a small-contact-area weapon, and begin adding velocity until you either find some kind of cap, or make it effective. High-relativistic personal railguns are super tech-fantasy, but if that's needed, I support it.

I believe that's how whips work, isn't it? They're the most OP weapons in the game.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: March 28, 2016, 06:00:12 pm »

For taking out armored targets that actually die when you shatter their skull and lose consciousness when you break their bones. Something like the Spawn, which these weapons are actually intended to kill, don't actually care terribly much if you decapitate them, and need a considerable amount of destructive capacity or luck to properly kill.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: March 28, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »

With the introduction of pulping, ideally it should take at most two body shots to be fatal on a spawn.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:06 pm »

I already made such tests with the railguns when I modded them in.

Extreme velocity small contact area blunt attacks nearly always chipped the bone. They killed by jamming the skull through the brain, and never could crush bodyparts or sever anything.
They were only effective when facing skeleton-less creatures, as lacking a skeleton made them prone to severing (like in the Bronze Colossus case).

That's why I made the railguns high-velocity large contact area, to simulate the "blast". In effect it made railguns into extremely letal crushing/severing powerhouses.

With the introduction of pulping, ideally it should take at most two body shots to be fatal on a spawn.
"Needleguns" can only kill vertebrate beings by injuring the brain or the heart. They won't disable limbs as they only chip the bone, this make them rather ineffective against NOPAIN vertebrates.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:26:15 pm by Nakéen »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24:54 pm »

How extreme velocity?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:28 pm »

How extreme velocity?
More than 500000000 in dwarven numbers.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: March 28, 2016, 10:39:36 pm »

Have you tried the maximum possible value?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 815