Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 374994 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1290 on: April 29, 2017, 06:12:05 am »

It will not at this level, but a single revision should change that. Just endensen the existing jungles. I really can't see the jungle still being in danger and it will continue to fortify us against their night raids.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 29, 2017, 06:16:23 am »

Oh sorry, I was only looking at the update.

Also, the GM has said that plant magic won't save the Jungle. So congrats, we just wasted a whole turn on something that won't even help us in the theatre with the most plants. The only option is to stop using the Tower of Frost, but that's equally bad.

Yeah, we wasted an entire turn for something only useful in a single area, that only ever gave us a minor advantage. We could have just as easily improved mist, fire walls or lances to disrupt the enemy formations, and get other benefits.

Let's just hope that the steam cannon works ...

I must say, I still have my doubts...

It will not at this level, but a single revision should change that. Just endensen the existing jungles. I really can't see the jungle still being in danger and it will continue to fortify us against their night raids.

It will not.

We need at least 2 good revisions to get it to work. One to further improve the size of the plants, another to ensure that we don't need to cast it on every individual plant.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 06:18:55 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 29, 2017, 06:23:07 am »

We don't strictly need to expand it to more than one plant at a time, as long as we can sprout an entire clonal oclony such as this.

But yes, last turn was underwhelming.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:02 am »

We won't be able to do that.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 29, 2017, 06:43:20 am »

we might be able to do that, but it would take more revisions than doing it the normal way.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 29, 2017, 06:43:38 am »

I mean, to be fair, we could use plant magic now to make more things, but it was opening a whole new area of magic.

Its totally even outside any of the starting types of magic available.  Probably because Druid magic has very little combat use...

We can probably revise it later into something useful, maybe.

Still wish we had learned to summon wolves that can spit out bees but you get what you can.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 29, 2017, 06:45:00 am »

Opening a new branch of magic is not a positive, if we already have many loose ends to close.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 29, 2017, 06:46:25 am »

Yup.

We have never really used our conjure animal thing for example, even if we had it since the start.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 29, 2017, 06:55:36 am »

Can we at least confirm that the jungle is safe now?
  -If you mean from vanishing, then no.  Plant magic is decent at fixing small portions, but unless it stops snowing in the tropical jungle the ecosystem will continue to fade.

we could .. turn the tower of frost up to the microwave setting(it IS adjustable, and no word on the limits of that...)
  -It goes from normal temperature to two levels below normal temperature.

It took me a while to figure out 'endensen', for future reference, the word is 'densify'. The GM has explicitly stated that the snow is the root cause and getting rid of it is the only way to stop the fading, not more plant magics. And nowhere was it stated that the plant growth we currently have is helping to fortify us against night raids.

But anyway, now that we've done it, best to capitalise on it. (Yes, I do know about sunk cost fallacy.) We could go with a crop-growing programme using apprentices from the AAAA to boost our crop yields, name it MagiMonsanto.

As for conjuring animals, the issue is that Moskurg already has antimagic that dispels crystals. It likely would be simple to turn it to dispel living creatures as well.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:04:11 am by Azzuro »

United Forenia Forever!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 29, 2017, 07:05:05 am »

I don't think so.

The spells are not at all related, after all.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 29, 2017, 07:08:30 am »

it depends on how the spell works and how their antimagic work.

If whatever we summon doesn't become a permanent, "mundane" part of our world, I believe they can dispel it. If our animals are on a timer like crystals, they will be gone.
If however once conjured they are stable parts of the world, they should stay, like fireballs.

edit: I hope that waffles comes and clarifies what he meant with the cannon design... if the cannon is supposed to propel the fireball, then it seems like an unnecessarily complex way to achieve longer ranged fireballs ( just need a revision to the spell!) and it doesn't augment our mundane damage ability, which may be needed due to their advances in antimagic. Plus, I odn't believe it makes much sense to have steam propelling fireballs, but maybe that is just me.
Using a fireball to provide flash evaporation of a boiler would, however, be a tremendously effective idea. Limit to historical steam cannons was producing enough steam quickly enough, and fireball seems extremely suitable for that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:12:29 am by andrea »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 29, 2017, 07:09:05 am »

I believe moskugri dispelling gets rid ifvdispelling. If we want combat critters, got to alter beasts of war to suit our needs or transmutate critters to chimera and such.

Spell idea to pair off with hybrid Cannon: Scry:

Instead of worrying about trying to make the ballistics miss (I doubt we can, seems a cheese magic here) we use scrying to pin point nightly raids in intercepting AND coordinate our cannons to blow up the It over sized bows.

If want actual defense was thinking of evocation. A magic barrier spell to block the hits.

( as the tricky of anti magic I do not trust crystals.)

Ablative Force Field: Layered force field, of raw force energy to intercept blows of our command. And multiple layers so it is a rechargeable one too.

Also had ideas for ships, iron clads. The next idea is not conjuring but alteration. (Going by magic types in this world.)

Green Steel: Badically ultra light, but still strong green metal enhancement that boosts survival ability. For iron clads only.

Last idea for another time.

Weight of Lead: Transmutation and stealing from a page of war hammer. The enemy all have METAL armor now right? Well with this, anyone wearing metal armor in zone of influence (except us. Or something else for latter update.) in field? The armor does not gain defense value, but the weight of said armor is ampuflued. So they are not so mobile.

Please note this is my brain storming and stuff. Do not have to take anything serious anymore.

* Six ideas left.

Keep in mind. Just throwing it out there. Not like this war is ending any time soon.

Edit: Also the only positive thing about the listed above things is there are no branches of the tech tree. Just revision to make sure it works. Only two things left  in my head have a real tech tree branch (aside plants. But well that's what revisions are for.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:11:26 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 29, 2017, 07:14:19 am »

I mean, really, if we can condense fog into water, why not just do that on their ships and sink em.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 29, 2017, 07:17:28 am »

because we can't even get within fireball range and our fog is not really a ranged spell. Plus, we can't yet condense fog in water I believe.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 29, 2017, 07:18:54 am »

Yeah. Range of our spells suck. That's the main thing killing us
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:02:59 am by Tyrant Leviathan »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 301