Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376964 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1260 on: April 28, 2017, 08:17:27 pm »

Designs
4/b] - (Chiefwaffles) Hybrid Fireball Cannon: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, Stabby, Tyrant
[/quote]

We need big guns! And we can revise it with time. Also think should launch shells that explode. As we do not have magic guidance system.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 28, 2017, 08:28:42 pm »

Not entirely convinced about how effective stone shot from a ballista is going to be against well-back full-plate, but ehh, they traded... something? for penetration so it makes sense...

How do those glowing fields of antimagic work? What is the range on them?
 Are they spheres, clouds, freeform, beams?
 Do the mages producing them remain in the effect or does it exclude them?
 Did they use other magic from within it?
 Did the glowy fields intrude into area protected by our antimagic charms?
 They were glowing so this should be fairly obvious stuff...

Whoever sends more troops/equipment/whatever wins a revision? And Moskurg has quantity versus our quality? Should we bother or just wait to see half a million enemy cavalry march off on boats...

Our cavalry is not doing much and our mid-level wizards don't seem that important. The apprentices can do most stuff and there are more of them.

Can we at least confirm that the jungle is safe now?

You know, if we feel crazy, we could switch to loincloths and turn the tower of frost up to the microwave setting(it IS adjustable, and no word on the limits of that...). Forest likes it, the lightning is mysteriously less effective, their stuff is all anti-armour now and they have that roasty new armour they just spread to everyone, those massive nests of sinew and rope they are ballistaing(How on earth does a ballista shoot a big rock at a ship? Did they at least spend a revision on their rock-capsules?) with will warp under the heat and go limp and useless... It'll only work for the one turn then back to business as usual, but it seems kind of plausible.

How big exactly are these ballistae that they are effective against fortified jungle camps? Jungles are, well, they have large trees. Large trees are sturdy. Yes, a ballista can destroy one, eventually, but they will run out of bolts before we run out of trees...

Communual spell: The living wall!
Blah blah blah: we mathemagically analyse fire wasp spell and extract the "life" and add it to a crystal wall.
Make attuned gems, let's say, emeralds, they all focus on the same spell and store magic for it.
Lots of wizards wielding gems, all likewise attuned, can all contribute to the same spell.
The spell is alive, it is a wall, it is crystal. 10 centimetres of steel should stop anything they care to throw at us, and the wall is alive, it gets thicker if it needs to and thinner if it can to save energy.
The wall is alive, it is perfectly capable of analysing attempts to dispel it and fighting against it as only a being formed of living and aware magic can. If it loses the fight, it just moulds itself around the antimagic and covers other places, or protects against attacks from above, or even grabs its own casters and places them out of the antimagic field.

Old magic: Summon living thing, channel a spell through a gem, mass-crystal summoning(caltrops and a wall that can 'move' by destroying itself at one point and creating itself at another sol ong as it maintains a single mass are pretty similar, but seriously, we have SO MUCH crystal expertise it isn't even sad anymore.).
New magic: Multiple people collaborating on one spell, dynamic crystal forms, maybe, not rally though, that stuff is old..., living 'magic': we have the magic wasps, which are alive, and made out of magic, but, I guess this is another step into meta so give that some acknowledgement I suppose...

If it works we can use if for ship armour.

Designs
4 - (Chiefwaffles) Hybrid Fireball Cannon: Chiefwaffles, Roboson, Stabby, Tyrant
0 - (RAM) Communual spell: The living wall:
0 - (RAM) Pillar of unmagic:
0 - (RAM) Codpiece-ripper:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 28, 2017, 08:39:19 pm »

I'm really surprised how sucky the plant magic was with how good our rolls were. Rather disappointing that it did so little with a 6 roll and a 4 on revision. We're gonna need to have something fantastic by the end of this turn or were screwed.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 28, 2017, 08:41:11 pm »

Yeaah.
Watch the Cannon get nothing but 5s and a description along the lines of "It can shoot up to 50 meters away! A direct hit will probably knock someone over while singeing them. National effort."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 28, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »

How do those glowing fields of antimagic work? What is the range on them?
  -Your troops witnessed them extending out to about mid-range.

Are they spheres, clouds, freeform, beams?
  -clouds.

Do the mages producing them remain in the effect or does it exclude them?
  -Remained inside.

Did they use other magic from within it?
  -You did not see any.

Did the glowy fields intrude into area protected by our antimagic charms?
  -Yes

Whoever sends more troops/equipment/whatever wins a revision?
  -They will accept whichever side offers a better deal.

Can we at least confirm that the jungle is safe now?
  -If you mean from vanishing, then no.  Plant magic is decent at fixing small portions, but unless it stops snowing in the tropical jungle the ecosystem will continue to fade.

we could .. turn the tower of frost up to the microwave setting(it IS adjustable, and no word on the limits of that...)
  -It goes from normal temperature to two levels below normal temperature.

How on earth does a ballista shoot a big rock at a ship?
  -like this

How big exactly are these ballistae that they are effective against fortified jungle camps?
  -They stand outside the walls and pelt them non-stop from beyond your range.

Communual spell: The living wall!
  -Your Theatre Commander is not an idiot and you should listen to his advice because it's basically the GM telling you what would counter the enemy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:54:33 pm by evictedSaint »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 28, 2017, 09:32:07 pm »

Definitively keeping guns. My designs can wait. ( which are navy themed. But this. Is navy application and land

Some of my ideas count as revisions. So will spam that.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:10 pm »

Also the bonus revision smells like a trap as we need people. If honestly needed our guys in the mountains could use a work out.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 28, 2017, 09:43:02 pm »

Also the bonus revision smells like a trap as we need people. If honestly needed our guys in the mountains could use a work out.
I agree with that at most we should send a Meager size force with a decent size amount of Crystal weapons since and Few mages. If we're lucky the Moskurgs will send a meduim to largish force and we can use that to take back ground.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 28, 2017, 09:44:58 pm »

I'm convinced the bonus revision is 100% not worth it. Let them give the guy troops for a single revision.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 28, 2017, 09:48:59 pm »

/cavalry is not much of a thing in the jungle, except it has loads of open terrain for regular fights so that is a thing, and there are cavalry crawling all over it too...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 28, 2017, 09:57:46 pm »

For real. Also my idea for a siege weapon was the rave last.

Design: Instead of a massive cross bow firing one big bolt. It is a box with slits, a cyclones of tubes holding multiple bolts at a time, a lever that rotates to get it going and a second lever to fire. It is basically the Gatling gun of cross bows, but large scale. To pelt through masses of troops to kill them dead.
Still voting for Cannon. More uses. *13 ideas left.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:30 pm »

Doesn't make much sense because I'm pretty sure we have never made a crossbow ever before. To go from our current longbows to gatling gun ballistas? Bit of a stretch.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:33 pm »

It was a idea. Hence I thought it would not fly. Fire bal cannon= good.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 28, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »

Alright here is my suggestion:

Crystal Greatbows
Contained in what looks like a small baton with a gemstone on either end. The crystal greatbow can be created or deconstructed at the whim of the user. The greatbow fires heavy iron arrows that look like short javelins and can be used like them in a pinch. Not only can our strongest longbow users put all their draw strength into the bow with no risk of shattering it. The bow also greatly arguments their strength. With this immense force behind the arrow and it's heavy weight it's all but impossible to deflect with wind spells and, can keep it's incredible destructive ability out to massive ranges. Unless the archer is stupid enough to wander into an enemy anti-magic field(which they should be) the simple iron arrows will be unaffected by their anti-magic field. 

My main argument against the fireball cannon is it's weak to them improving their anti-magic field as that maybe able to dispel some or all of the fireball. A good old fashion bow stops that and should hopefully be cheaper and will be much more portable.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 28, 2017, 10:41:23 pm »

My counter argue meant is the anti magic only seems to fiddle with conjured stuff (your crystals) or destroys casting efforts. Fire ball in flight? They do not fizzle those out.

So a siege Cannon that range is good.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 301