Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844689 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

3. Allow actions off turn. Typically I let my players shout advice as an immediate action during combat even if it's not their turn.
Talking is already a free action though.
Talking is a free action. Free actions can typically only be taken on your turn. Changing this to an immediate action allows other characters to talk without it being their initiative turn.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Gangrel vampire's player:  I stop being a wolf so I can talk
Social vampire's player:  How many police are around the van?
ST: Uh...... 14?
Social vampire's player:  Ah, k.
Social vampire's player:  I shoot at one.

My character went in a hunger frenzy as we tried to drive away from the combat site from last session.  Then the Gangrel went into hunger frenzy as well.
To be fair we failed like 5 driving checks in a row

We ate our unconscious hostage in the hunger frenzy, but fortunately they did (just in the nick of time) remember to drag my character out of the van as they shot their way to the sewer entrance.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

1. Keep combat dynamic. If the player doesn't know what they're doing this round, skip their turn and move to the next person. They'll be prepared next time.

2. Offer bonus experience for people who keep their characters focused and play well. If they're on their mobile phone playing time waster games during combat, reduce their bonus experience since they're not involving themselves in the game.

3. Allow actions off turn. Typically I let my players shout advice as an immediate action during combat even if it's not their turn.
I'm not doing this right now since my group has some newer players in it (and thus they sometimes need a bit more time), but a adding a simple 30 second sand timer for "turn decision time" (including other player's advice talking) can sometimes really help keep the ball rolling by making people decide what they are going to do quickly or pass (we generally would say if you didn't decide in time you just automatically took the "dodge" action, but if you wanted to be a little harsher you could just say that their character stood there dumbfounded or something :P).

For rewards inspiration (or other DM given small rewards) can also be a big push as was noted. Players tend to be a fair bit more likely to decide to do things quickly once they make the connection that doing so has a chance of rewarding them instantly with inspiration or something similar.

Edit: Funnily enough I'm finding a surprising amount of children's teaching tools extremely viable for use in D&D (little plastic squares as markers for things without figurines, larger sized sand timers than the ones you find in most games... :P)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:58:14 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

A fellow party member wanted to use a feat that allows you to ready four attacks with a ranged weapon, with each attack having its own trigger event.

I almost thought the feat was third-party or something. Nope; it is legit.

He wasn't allowed. Then came the salt.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

How does that even work? Like, as in the individual arrows? Do you hold a fistful of of them and aim them all different directions on the bow?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile

How does that even work? Like, as in the individual arrows? Do you hold a fistful of of them and aim them all different directions on the bow?
What kind of bow would allow you to do that? So far I'm imagining a big ring with a spiders web of strings, and you held it with your feet while lying on the ground, prone, to aim your shot.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

A combat turn is about six seconds, IIRC, and the world record for speed shooting is I think less than 2.5 seconds per arrow. And that's just a regular human (although the record holder is basically the closest thing to an RPG character in the real world).

It seems plausible. A bit ridiculous, but plausible.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I think you just sort of wave a bow with an arrow pulled and nocked around all aggressive like and yell, "Nobody Move!"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Just nock four arrows at once and let them go one at a time. :P
Black lives matter.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Just nock four arrows at once and let them go one at a time. :P
I was I was an artist, even a crap one.

*stick figure with a bow, four arrows, and a big grin*
*nocks them all, draws them back, and lets go of an arrow*
*it falls to the side and sticks in the dirt*

Alternatively:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

I'm reasonably certain DnD physics would make nocking four arrows a possibility, if only in a homebrew feat or somesuch.
Black lives matter.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alternatively:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol. +1 Throwing Compound Shortbow of Returning.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

This weekend's game got sidetracked from the written books and into a bit of whatever it is that the DM has in their mind. He had to modify part of the path to fit his and another player's backstory of being from an entirely different dimension. But then it got a bit too long.

Instead of what the player is normally supposed to go through, we met a Wizard/Dragon studying a rip in the space-time-continuum or something like that. Then a rainbow coloured dragon came out of nowhere and caused a volcano to erupt. The DM's DMPC solo'd it while we did nothing because we weren't allowed. Then we find out that the dragon gets stronger every time it dies, and the DMPC is the one fated to kill it until it is dead.

Then we spent over an hour out of game talking about how to deal with the volcano. Even though we have a damned scroll of Move Earth. The Arcanist summoned a bunch of earth elementals to dig around instead, but the DM made him roleplay convincing the elementals to help.

We wasted a ton of time.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ew. DMPCs. Especially one that actually does things.  :-\

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Ew. DMPCs. Especially one that actually does things.  :-\
Yeah.  Ew.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 623