Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 211

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1416731 times)

ShimmerFairy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2016, 10:33:20 pm »

All this multithreading talk made me realize something:

Have you looked into OpenCL as a way to help offload calculations, in roughly the same way people talk about multithreading? It would have to be optional, but could still be beneficial.

I ask because graphics cards are pretty much built to do a lot of calculations, so any math-heavy portions of Dwarf Fortress (e.g. pathfinding, temperature, anything physics-based potentially) could benefit from offloading such calculations to the GPU. Assuming the transfer between GPU and CPU/RAM/etc. doesn't kill any benefits.

And the reason why I say "optional" is because I could never get Cycles or LuxRender kernels to play nice with CUDA (or OpenCL, I think), and now that I had to switch back to nouveau drivers I don't have OpenCL at all!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »

Hey, didn't know this was here. PTW
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2016, 03:07:07 pm »

How far off are plans to expand the dye system? Specifically to the point where we might get earth-based dyes like ochre?

I was reading about earth pigments today and I was surprised they hadn't already been put into the game. They seem like the right blend of geology and craftsmanship.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2016, 07:18:01 pm »

Thats almost definitely not a priority related to developing the code so it won't happen anytime soon, but I imagine it would be a fairly simple matter of preparing the dye from a stone or glob of clay via a reaction at, say, the alchemists workshop. Toady could implement it readily enough.

Is working on the thread dyeing system even in the dev notes?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2016, 08:30:48 pm »

Thats almost definitely not a priority related to developing the code so it won't happen anytime soon, but I imagine it would be a fairly simple matter of preparing the dye from a stone or glob of clay via a reaction at, say, the alchemists workshop. Toady could implement it readily enough.

It would be trivial to mod in though, if you used limonite or such.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2016, 02:39:11 am »

It's in the big, big list a couple of times. Although that may well have been written before dye existed in the first place. Wouldn't like to guess when it'd be looked at. Scenarios perhaps, maybe Economy? Whenever Merchant Adventurer starts getting fleshed out I suppose.
Bloat243, CLOTHING VARIATIONS, (Future): Entities need to have clothing variations, even at the town level. This includes adding many clothing types beyond the shirt and pants we currently have. Certain materials and dye colors could be in favor (need to add dye first).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2016, 01:19:25 pm »

so , two more questions:

#1 Do you plan on adding family heirlooms as an artifact type,In my opinion  its much more interesting to know that you are retrieving a noble families family heriloom, then just a random artifact the lord wants because its so shiny.

#2 Do you plan on having a sort of action sequence for lords , (like you already do with tavern keepers where you can order a drink and they will go, get a mug, then actually go to the barrel and fill it with your alcohol then bring it to you), where the lord will, upon receiving an artifact may,  say, call over a servant and have the servant put the newly acquired shiny on a pedestal, or walk over to the pedestal themselves and put it there, after you retrieve it for a quest, it would be extremely satisfying if say, the following happened:

(In less flowery language obviously, but I wanted to be creative)

*A grimy adventurer runs into the mead hall*

"My lord"

Lord Greedy: "Aww, so  "Aton daggerthief, the finder of things" has returned, successful I hope, in acquiring my families lost heirloom."
Lord Greedy: "Speak Boy, were you successful?"

Aton " Yes My lord, I was successful, I pulled it from the dying claws of a cave dragon, I showed no mercy, my dagger through its heart in its sleep, it never of course woke up"

Lord Greedy: " Haha, anton always the sneaky fellow, bring the heirloom here."

*adventurer gives lord greedy his shiny*

Lord Greedy: "Haha, its finally mine..my birthright my...(he stops)"

*He kisses the artifact*

Lord Greedy: "Give me a moment"

*the lord slowly walks over to the convenient pedestal in his room and lays the artifact down, quite artfully I might add*

*He walks back*

Lord greedy: " Thank you , Aton, I and by extension my house are forever in your debt."

Aton "Are there any other tasks that need doing?"

Lord Greedy: "Of course, a great beast threatens our people....."

*Fin*

^ that kind of thing, but a little less detailed, is it planned? I imagine, with what you currently have implemented, it wouldn't be too difficult, since it is essentially  a tavern keeper grabbing a mug and filling it with wine, then coming back, in fact its even less complex.

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2016, 06:45:44 pm »

Of course, that requires adding display pedestals to the game. I support it, but it seems to be at least somewhat difficult.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2016, 08:17:22 pm »

It'd be easier for artifact armor and weapons, since we already HAVE fitting furniture for them.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 20, 2016, 10:04:28 pm »

Of course, that requires adding display pedestals to the game. I support it, but it seems to be at least somewhat difficult.
Display pedestals (etc) are in the new artifact development notes.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #235 on: July 20, 2016, 10:54:08 pm »

You can already display things on tables in adventure mode, also

Some buildings/items used to display artifacts (all modes)
^ from Dev page

Also it doesn't need to be a pedestal it could easily be a table or even a cabinet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:56:01 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2016, 11:44:14 am »

Also it doesn't need to be a pedestal it could easily be a table or even a cabinet.
Urist:Let me show you my artifact adamantium sword!
Monom:ok!
Urist:here it is!
Monom:This is a cabinet.
Urist:this is how I display my artifact sword.
Monom:but I can't see it. Why'd you put it in a cabinet?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2016, 01:19:34 pm »

Urist:Let me show you my artifact adamantium sword!
Monom:ok!
Urist:here it is!
Monom:This is a cabinet.
Urist:this is how I display my artifact sword.
Monom:but I can't see it. Why'd you put it in a cabinet?

*Urist whispers in Monom's ear*
Urist:"Use T".
Monom: "Oh".

That kind of talk should be taken to the suggestion forum. Though i do find it compelling to imagine a artifact mug placed delicately on a raiders of the lost ark booby trapped slab/pedestal (if we imagine them to be flat or some other kind of furniture) to release a trap. Given the time mechanisms take to 'communicate' a plucky adventurer could make a quick switch with a object of equal weight.

Question for Toady

How do figures in worldgen sites display their artifacts/holy relics? Are they placed on the ground or lifted (like other items in shops) onto a table?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2016, 01:22:50 pm »

But t is for fortress mode. D:
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2016, 02:22:06 pm »

But t is for fortress mode. D:

Uhh, cabinet with a glass front/viewable from close inspection mode I guess?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 211