Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3536 3537 [3538] 3539 3540 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5904106 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53055 on: December 10, 2018, 04:32:25 pm »

Awash in food and booze, not feeling threatened by the environment, and having plenty of resources is actually making it kind of a dull fortress, successful though it may be.  I think my next fortress will be back in a more hostile environment.
that made my last forts a really dull gaming experience.
i can't believe the gobbos are at peace almost all the time in new worlds.
At war/peace doesn't mean anything for gobbos. Just means they're not at war yet. The moment they attack, they're at war.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53056 on: December 11, 2018, 04:30:26 am »

Awash in food and booze, not feeling threatened by the environment, and having plenty of resources is actually making it kind of a dull fortress, successful though it may be.  I think my next fortress will be back in a more hostile environment.
that made my last forts a really dull gaming experience.
i can't believe the gobbos are at peace almost all the time in new worlds.
At war/peace doesn't mean anything for gobbos. Just means they're not at war yet. The moment they attack, they're at war.
ok... in one case i checked the nearby tower to find it being part of my dwarven civ...
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #53057 on: December 11, 2018, 08:18:58 am »

My fortress, Bloodpool, got sieged again. This time, it was uhh, supposedly a “hill dwarf” siege. Except there was only one dwarf - a recruit, but presumably their leader. As this was the first siege, the force was relatively small - mostly Orcs, but also a Corrupted Angel from Diablo and two Saber Shamans - magic-wielding sabertooth tiger people.

At first I wasn’t sure if it actually was the hill dwarves who attacked, thought it could have been the Orcs instead. Checking the equipment of the Orcs confirmed that they had the emblem of the hill dwarf civilization on it - the civ screen also registered contact with the hill dwarves. So I would presume this was merely a force of mercenaries sent to harass my fortress.

They were a lot more difficult to deal with than I had anticipated, admittedly. The shamans used their various spells on my forces - paralyzed one of my mace lords, putting him out of commision temporarily, made another one dizzy, and one of my lashers was afflicted with a magical fever that forced him to vomit up cat grease. No, I don’t know what I was thinking either when I made up that spell.

One of the Grunts (axemen) entered a martial trance almost immediately when the fighting started - while she managed to scratch apart the eye of one of my swordsmen, she wasn’t able to do much else despite the trance.

As expected, the single hill dwarf wasn’t much of a fighter, and went down relatively quickly.

With their energies exhausted, the Shamans went down in short order - while the Corrupted Angel put up a decent fight, he was eventually put down by one of my novice spearmen. All seemed to be over, except…

ANOTHER siege arrived soon after - this time, it was a small regiment of Terror Demons (conglomerate of various demons under Diablo’s control, from, well, Diablo). There were a few more than in this screencap, but I didn’t take a cap of the full force - regardless, it was only a force of the Hidden, Charger Demons, Subjugators and Advocates.

Their lack of armor severely hindered them, as shown here - this particular Subjugator was a bloodied, vomit-covered mess after my military was done.

The last Charger Demon alive was an axe-thrower, which didn’t help him much once my forces drew too close for comfort. The siege was pretty much over at this point, with Bloodpool reigning supreme - while my military suffered no losses, some of the more expensive, rare war animals I had were killed, but not before doing some significant damage themselves (the Curseborn Roc I had managed to actually kill Gor’baethe the Hidden Lasher by tearing his lower body to shreds). For now, fort operations return to normal, atleast until a greater force comes.

blister_pack

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil biome package of hairy goodies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53058 on: December 12, 2018, 01:17:05 am »

Autumn comes in Rivergates. Another siege. Goblins led by a she-goblin with a title "the Eternal Destroyer of Fame". oh, cool.
Forbid Entry Hatch - Pull the Levers - Squads Station - Unpause...
ka-boom! DF stopped working.
more like Eternal Destroyer of Worlds.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53059 on: December 14, 2018, 04:54:23 pm »

I don't think there are any goblins nearby, and for some reason we are at peace with the local kobolds.  Perhaps I've just settled upon a creampuff area of a creampuff world?  I should initiate a mission or two to mix things up in this place.

Speaking of the devil, the goblins attacked last night.  Conveniently, they did so right after I temporarily opened a second entrance to the fortress.  Not an entrance proper, but rather I was building a very long stairway from the surface to the caverns so that I could have a direct route to the caverns that did not go through the mines and consequently into the fortress.  However, in the process of digging this very long stairway I went through a few levels that I had strip-mined, this exposing it to the fortress proper.  (My plan was to subsequently wall off the stairway as it passed through these mining levels, thus isolating it, but that plan didn't come into play by the time the goblins showed up.)  Naturally instead of moving to go through the front door (where the cage trap carpet is) they beelined for the cavern stairs that would put them in my mines, which would be a nightmare because they could scatter into a thousand tunnels in there and make their way directly into the "secure" area of the fortress.

It was a siege of about 15 goblins, all archers or crossbowmen.  My military is 30 strong with 20 infantry (equally divided among melee weapons) and 10 archers.  10 of the infantry are legendary warriors, and the other 10 and the archers are all at levels 5-7 on their weapons of choice.  I decided to counter the goblins with an attack by that latter 20, to buff their skills with actual combat.  There was a violent melee on the surface near the cavern stair entrance, where about 10 goblins died, but a few made it inside and as I feared, scattered throughout the mines.  Luckily I was able to hunt them all down and my military, along with some local mercenaries finished the job.  No Dwarven losses, though a couple of mercenaries were seriously injured.  Now some of my dwarves are grumpy because they had to witness combat and clean up goblin guts from the mine walls and recover loot from the battle on the surface.  SACK UP, GENTLEMEN.  THIS GAME IS NOT CALLED DWARF TEA PARTY.

The cavern stairway has since been completed and secured, so the mercenaries love hangout out down there harassing crundles and giant cave toads.  I've had my squad down there to explore and even had my lumberjacks bring some tower cap home, but I have never had good luck with civilians NOT wandering randomly into the caverns and getting themselves in deep %#(*%, so that is happening too.  Urist McDeathwish cancels recover dropped article of clothing:  interrupted by giant cave crocodile.  I wish there was a way to set the orders to "recover this item, but not in this place" without having to manually forbid or claim tons of stuff.  Web gathering is strictly forbidden because, well, I've had more than one mass murdering GCS ruin my day.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53060 on: December 15, 2018, 01:50:00 pm »

So this year the humans have for the first time send their diplomat along with the caravan.
And it turns out that the diplomat they have send is.. the law-giver himself. Worse yet due to his choice of jewelry I have reason to suspect he is a vampire.

There is such a thing as diplomatic immunity, so I'm just watching him for now, but he would be wise not to push his luck.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53061 on: December 15, 2018, 05:40:18 pm »

trying my luck with an aboveground fort.
i lent the design from roman founded cities and it looks nice, but is incredibly slow to build.
all the stone for the blocks is mined from the valleyside and so far only the house for the forum (trade depot, tavern, dormitory and hospital) and the jeweler stand.
everything else has rudimentary walls, no roof yet, while i try to build the city walls to fend off the third invader (2 wereturtoises came and each killed one important dorf)

next fort will be underground again!
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53062 on: December 15, 2018, 06:43:32 pm »

^Im actually doing something similar, just with the roman Castra, or encampment. So far, i really like the concept, but it will still need to withstand its first siege before i rule on its succesfullness (and possible standardisation for other players/npc camps).
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53063 on: December 16, 2018, 05:34:06 am »

^Im actually doing something similar, just with the roman Castra, or encampment. So far, i really like the concept, but it will still need to withstand its first siege before i rule on its succesfullness (and possible standardisation for other players/npc camps).
the main problem is that on a 3x3 embark (largest that runs smooth for me) i can't get the buildings done fast enough to establish a good economy AND build the defensive outer wall and towers/gatehouses.
Also the birds are keeping me from achieving much.
luckily i got a source of a stream in the walls, so during winter i blocked the water-way into the city and now have 3 potential "bathhouses" :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:28:11 am by Pvt. Pirate »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53064 on: December 16, 2018, 08:37:47 am »

Ah, see, thats were i have an advantage ;) Its a military camp, so we just put up "walls" (its more of an entrenchment with fortifications) and barracks and called it day. Raiding bandit camps proved VERY efficient for economy purposes, though i wonder weather that is countet towards my fortress wealth...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53065 on: December 16, 2018, 03:36:52 pm »

well, my "city" isn't even the size of a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castra but it follows the plan of a roman city like this:
(sry, i dont know how to make it smaller for the forums.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53066 on: December 16, 2018, 03:50:25 pm »

no problem, i just right click and open in a new tab :) I don't follow the Castra system precisly either, just using it as a guideline ;)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53067 on: December 18, 2018, 04:46:14 pm »

So this year the humans have for the first time send their diplomat along with the caravan.
And it turns out that the diplomat they have send is.. the law-giver himself. Worse yet due to his choice of jewelry I have reason to suspect he is a vampire.

There is such a thing as diplomatic immunity, so I'm just watching him for now, but he would be wise not to push his luck.

So there have been some development in the human law-giver diplomat story.

The citizens of Diamondglow had already suspected the human king was a vampire, but now the first drained corpse had shown up. There were no witnesses, but the victim had been very popular among the dwarves. Dwarves were very angry, and a stonecrafter had just thrown a tantrum, killing a pet in the temple to Limul, covering his statue in blood and gore, but stopping just short of desecrating the temple completely. 
A meeting had been called in the tavern. Screw the lack of evidence! Lokum the hammerer yelled, I demand the head of the human law-giver!
The Sherrif replied: we can not convict a diplomat, much less, the human king without hard evidence! it would mean open war and we number only 26 dwarves. Worse we have an untrained military of only four after the recent forgotten beast attack! Several other dwarves raised their voices: Off with his head! He killed one of us! We need no stinking evidence! He is wearing jewelry made of dwarven bones for Armok's sake!

At the very same time at the other side of the fortress a legendary human spearmaster was meeting with the mayor, asking if he could work in Diamondglow as a monster hunter. The major blinked when he looked at the tall man: He had the same facial features as the human king: an ageless look despite the bright white hair.. And now that he looked closer he could see some very dubious trinkets and jewelry between the man's clothes.
The human saw the doubt in the dwarves eyes, but merely chuckled. He did not need to speak, he was a legendary spearmaster in shining armor with supernatural powers. He could level the entire fortress single-handedly if someone dared expose him. The mayor returned him a look that explained he understood the situation, then made an excuse and ran of to the tavern, he was in time to confront the dwarves that had just marched out to expose the human law-giver. Stop! he yelled, we can not do this!! Not now!

Why not? Grimbergen the tavern keeper asked. (He was more drunk than the rest)
"I.. I can't" the mayor stumbled over his words. It was only now that the tavern keeper noticed that the other dwarves, even the hammerer, had fallen silent.
One look at the mayor's face had been enough for them to know some horror must be at work, to put the otherwise calm mayor in such distress.
Something that must remain unspoken.
The mayor tried to regain his composure but was still shaking. "Grimbergen" he asked, "how many visitors are staying at your tavern?"
"Ehm.. Around 75? why are ye asking?"
"75 on a population of 26? I want it closed to outsiders right now! And the miners will immediately start excavating a dormitory. No one in this fortress will sleep unguarded while this law-giver is around! We will set up a military training program starting at sunrise. 
If it has to come to war with these vampires we will need to be prepared!"

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:58:26 pm by Bralbaard »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53068 on: December 18, 2018, 05:44:22 pm »

"The Forgotten Beast Sasmcith Nomaroxut has come!  A towering quadruped composed of grime and filth.  It has large mandibles and it has a gaunt appearance.  Beware its poisonous sting!
The elk bird bites the forgotten beast in the head and the injured part is torn apart!
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53069 on: December 18, 2018, 08:59:19 pm »

"The Forgotten Beast Sasmcith Nomaroxut has come!  A towering quadruped composed of grime and filth.  It has large mandibles and it has a gaunt appearance.  Beware its poisonous sting!
The elk bird bites the forgotten beast in the head and the injured part is torn apart!
i know the beast was made of grime and filth but it was fighting an elk bird. How does an elk bird kill even a feeble Forgotten Beast.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.
Pages: 1 ... 3536 3537 [3538] 3539 3540 ... 3837