Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3535 3536 [3537] 3538 3539 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5923837 times)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53040 on: December 06, 2018, 07:53:40 am »

Got a flame-composed blob of a FB burning down the 2nd cavern layer and I'm fighting the attempt to release it upon the surface. Finally something will clear several sieges worth of corpses. Rivergates has now a siege per season and all the waste is freaking my dwarves out.

What can possibly go wrong?

Considered the behavior of the species "Dwarves". I would say that there isn't much to worry about... He's about to have lots of fun.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53041 on: December 07, 2018, 07:57:24 am »

Oilmouths has settled down to about 3 deaths a year minimum from dwarves going stark raving mad due to stress. Now, in this fortress there is ONE dwarf that has every dang right to be utterly depressed but he just keeps going... The king! This poor SOB has survived from the first migrant wave, was ordained king by pure chance and watched his wife and children all die. Every friend he has ever had... Dead. Every passing acquaintance? Dead. Scarred brutally from head to foot? Absolutely. Watched over 120 dwarves die? Absolutely! Aftermath of battles? 100%. This guy is a walking basket case with a beard. He is permanently gray in hair, beard and mustache, all of which are very long and braided. Looks like a badass when you read his description.

Whats the worst of it though? A giant flame spitting toad attacked. Killed four and most of the livestock, tore some limbs off others, set a few on fire... AND THEY LIVED!!! Save the two poor SOB' fodder troopers sent to kill it, they did, burned to ash they did... Well! You see, he was wandering around the cavern farms, it got in SOMEHOW, still dont know how and well... Battle ensued, he ran of course but it puked out a fireball that chased him down. *Boom* Gelded. Thats right, the toad shot his balls off with a fireball.

No dwarf in my fortress has the right to complain after that one. Poor king (he is a good king too! Rare...) sat in his hospital bed just screaming till the surgeon patched what was left of his dwarfhood up before sending him on his way. Tough bastard too, went right back to work as if nothing happened. "He is getting used to tragedy."

Gonna make him a golden throne room, bedroom and royal mausoleum for what he has survived, he deserves it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53042 on: December 07, 2018, 10:58:06 am »

@vekar
Huzzah! That is an excellent story.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53043 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:17 am »

Well, there goes the chance for royal heirs.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53044 on: December 07, 2018, 12:53:49 pm »

Try to make him have a good friend (One that survives). And when the Great King dies leaving no Heir, The Throne goes to his closest friend!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53045 on: December 08, 2018, 10:01:40 pm »

I should be working on that last paper I have due for grad school, but here I am modding my raws again after a couple years away from DF. Always hated animal people - cluttering up my perfectly good environments, and absolutely useless, the lot of them.

And I just added the following prefstring to Elephants:
Code: [Select]
[PREFSTRING:terrifying historical achievements against Dwarves]
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53046 on: December 09, 2018, 06:20:59 am »

I should be working on that last paper I have due for grad school
Ahaha tell me about it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53047 on: December 09, 2018, 11:13:18 am »

A series of above-ground fortresses with full bloodline naming system in place, starting at the dawn of time in a PerfectWorld designed world meant to make wandering around as an adventurer take longer than it would normally.  I call it "Riverworld".
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53048 on: December 09, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »

Built the outside of a castle at the summit of the mountain i decided to build into. Now building a bridge across the open air to the neighboring mountainside, where im going to build a tower with rampways down to ground level, where an entrance will be. Its all pretty nifty, in theory, and i was going to put my trade depot on my side of the sky bridge, but i dont have a plan for anything else to do with it. I might just build a spiraling trap corridor or something chasing the trade ramps up to the tower. That would be cool.

Main entrance to the fort is still just a hatch and a little hall with some cage traps.

Oh, and a monstrous serpent attacked and got caught in those cage traps. Maybe ill make a pit to throw him in and invite the goblins to have a party.

Other than that, we have a mayor now, and a small squad of five totally unarmed and untrained guards. There was one incident with our starting 7 farmer starting to lose his grip on reality and tantruming. Dont remember what about, but i just up and expelled him after he beat up the expedition leader (after letting the sheriff beat him)
But nobody's died yet, which is the real miracle here. I mean, several dogs died, but who cares?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53049 on: December 09, 2018, 06:07:29 pm »

I've completed all my raw edits. Added a lot of [TRAINABLE] tags here and there, some [PACK ANIMAL] and [TRADE CAPACITY] tags, and the odd [EGG_LAYER] to certain key species for breeding purposes. Deleted almost all the animal men (except some of the subterranean varieties); I hate having random animal men wandering around on the map, especially when hunting and trapping are such important industries for me.

The biggest change is the flesh balls. It's a teensy bit cheaty of me, but I use them as giant domestic meat sacks that are easy to care for and butcher, and they give positively enormous amounts of meat.

Spoiler: Raw (click to show/hide)

I usually embark with four of them and before long there are tons of adorable and delicious little fleshlets rolling around. Flesh ball steak for everyone.

I'm thinking I'll go back to the old "single pick embark" when I have a chance to dive into a fort again. Editing the raws was preliminary and I really do need to finish that paper. Maybe I'll make it harder for myself by finding a reanimating aquifer glacier. The last time I did that the FPS got bad really fast, but I managed to secure a portion of the caverns for my twenty or thirty remaining dwarves after the undead got completely out of control. I even built a small pump stack and tried flooding the caverns with lava to burn away all the undead. That's when I found out about the undead material problems. I think I still have the fort in an old file somewhere... the most annoying thing was slabbing all the migrants who died to the undead swarms up top.

I know a lot of people spend time on the embark screen, but that's one reason I like the single pick embark: you start with seven dwarves (no skills), a pick, and an axe. You have to survive. It doesn't get much more minimalistic than that. Even your first anvil usually comes from a caravan, and you don't have a bunch of stuff to start throwing in stockpiles the minute you arrive.

Anyway, I'm rambling. The game will probably suck me in over the break but I'll have to put it down again when next semester gets in gear...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

weiserthanyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53050 on: December 10, 2018, 12:25:50 am »

Built the outside of a castle at the summit of the mountain i decided to build into. Now building a bridge across the open air to the neighboring mountainside, where im going to build a tower with rampways down to ground level, where an entrance will be. Its all pretty nifty, in theory, and i was going to put my trade depot on my side of the sky bridge, but i dont have a plan for anything else to do with it. I might just build a spiraling trap corridor or something chasing the trade ramps up to the tower. That would be cool.

Main entrance to the fort is still just a hatch and a little hall with some cage traps.

I recommend building a few rooms and making a mini-village on the other side of the sky-bridge, then adding a tavern and using it for long-term residences. plus it means there's (hopefully, if your fort has better luck than mine) going to be a bit of an extra buffer against attacks, maybe a monster hunter or two.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where a person can have his head be destroyed by necrosis and only die when the doctor amputates his torso.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53051 on: December 10, 2018, 04:42:32 am »

Well, if it hadn't been a reanimating biome, my first attempt at a fort in 44.12 would have gone swimmingly. As it is I'll probably lose my three remaining dwarves to stress in a couple months. Who knows. Perhaps Urnhazy will recover--that cave crocodile that climbed up the stairway from the caverns could have eaten all my remaining dwarves but it didn't. (The macedwarf and axedwarf who claimed they were here to slay monsters seem rather useless. Both were guarding the bottom of the stairway and it slipped right past.)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53052 on: December 10, 2018, 05:38:47 am »

Of course I thought my current fort, Diamondcommon, was too peaceful. So I started raiding goblin pits.
One retaliated with a raid, and the raiding party was--as far as I noticed--entirely dwarves.
This seems to be causing stress, along with losing a popular human mercenary (who did kill all but two of the raiders before he died of lung injuries), and I'm decorating the dwarf that ran down the last one to play Leonidas, kicking in his teeth and knocking him off the cliffs above the gates.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53053 on: December 10, 2018, 11:39:09 am »

My recent 4x4 coastal embark, "Thundered Pages" (a name I love), is doing swimmingly.  We're over 100 souls now, have 2 infantry squads and an archery contingent, and a thriving food and booze industry based on farming underground and above ground (channeled out and then roofed over) crops.  Somehow we were selected to become a barony and the local baroness was chosen because of her diligent service as the manager, bookkeeper, and broker for the fortress since its inception.  In between admiring her tomb and engraved bedroom, she still finds time to approve work orders to produce the backpacks of which she mandates the construction.  I think there's a hillock nearby that looks to us as their home or something.  I know I send dwarves there when they get depressed.

Oddly, no monsters have attacked us yet, which I was expecting before we hit 100 citizens.  A carpeting of cage traps at the fortress entrance will stop most transgressors, but our military should be able to stop anything that isn't extremely fun.  I don't think there are any goblins nearby, and for some reason we are at peace with the local kobolds.  Perhaps I've just settled upon a creampuff area of a creampuff world?  I should initiate a mission or two to mix things up in this place.

Awash in food and booze, not feeling threatened by the environment, and having plenty of resources is actually making it kind of a dull fortress, successful though it may be.  I think my next fortress will be back in a more hostile environment.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53054 on: December 10, 2018, 04:17:11 pm »

Awash in food and booze, not feeling threatened by the environment, and having plenty of resources is actually making it kind of a dull fortress, successful though it may be.  I think my next fortress will be back in a more hostile environment.
that made my last forts a really dull gaming experience.
i can't believe the gobbos are at peace almost all the time in new worlds.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 ... 3535 3536 [3537] 3538 3539 ... 3838