Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Anyone found a library?  (Read 6397 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Anyone found a library?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 11:00:56 pm »

New large world. This time there's 3 libraries. Two of them are in Human towns. So there you go. Libraries aren't limited to fortresses.

That's great!
I wonder how big th4ey can get?
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:17:17 pm »

Will send out an adventurer to find out. Lets see...The town of Fondledgrasps in the Mauve Kingdom? Hmmm. Think I'll go find the other library. :)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 01:26:23 am »

This may have been fixed (changed?) in the new version. I just genned a new large world with a short history and looking through legends there are 13 libraries.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 01:53:46 am »

Human libraries are really hit-or-miss right now because they need to value knowledge, and sometimes they don't.  They also don't like to build libraries next to other libraries, and since the dwarves make them by default, they'll often be happy with the nearby mountain library.  So a larger world is more likely to have them, since they are spread out generally and you are also more likely to get knowledge-friendly humans placed away from the mountains, and you get like 8-10 chances for a library positive human civ.  Smaller etc. worlds will probably only ever have one library that is very likely dwarven, and we'll need to fix the horse-lag and other lag at those sites before they are usable.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2015, 02:07:52 am »

Hey, all I know is the worlds are so crazy and active and busy, I can deal with a bit of slowdown.

Unrelated, technically, but since so many books wind up in tombs, it is sorta relevant for future librarians/scholarly adventurers. Did you do anything specific to increase the prevalence of mummies or is it just a happy (unhappy?) accident that they're so much more common?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2015, 02:52:53 am »

I was just reading somewhere else that people can't find mummies any more, so I'm not sure what's up.  Are the books in the tombs all copies?  I'm not even sure how they get there, unless it's the trade code generating copies from those stored in libraries.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 03:21:17 am »

Not all copies, I've found originals, and I don't know what is up with people not finding mummies. As I said in another thread, doing a search in the gamelog.txt for my df40 folder, my Victorian mod folder, and my df42 folders:

df40 (17 mb): 3 instances of mummy
dfVictorian (40 mb): 11 instances of mummy
df42 (4 mb): 30 instances of mummy

That is taking into account that I'm really good at avoiding being seen and thus avoiding seeing them stand up/raise skeletons, only seeing them as footsteps/sense_creature_class tiles through the walls. There are a lot more than 30 times where I have escaped without seeing the mummy and ran off so it disappeared.

Is that intended btw? For them to vanish after they go too far from the tomb?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 04:02:21 am »

It has been so long I really don't remember, but I think there was some kind of site tie that made it inconvenient to move them around.  At the same time, I don't think I would have specifically handled it either.  They probably just get lost like so many other things.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am »

I can see that, they don't get cleared properly as units either, you notice it when you move away and one disappears in the doorway and you try to walk in and have to crawl under nobody but can't stand up.

Found my library btw, read a ton of books, stuff from speculations about a heliocentric universe, division, large number notations, various books covering festivals and individual biographies, books on medical techniques, animal migration, the effectiveness of gears, the design of padlocks, the value of romance and knowledge and friendship, lots more, and that's just in one pile!

Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 04:29:46 am »

Usually those murderfests happen when a local goblin gets mad and shoots/kills someone. or I throw a dance party off in the keep where most insurrections start.
But never seen a bard have the social stress of playing well get to them and murder someone.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 06:16:27 am »

I've found one human library out of many in the world I genned, but it has no doors so I don't know whats inside.

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 05:13:39 pm »

Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

May I sig?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2015, 06:44:41 pm »

Human libraries are really hit-or-miss right now because they need to value knowledge, and sometimes they don't.  They also don't like to build libraries next to other libraries, and since the dwarves make them by default, they'll often be happy with the nearby mountain library.  So a larger world is more likely to have them, since they are spread out generally and you are also more likely to get knowledge-friendly humans placed away from the mountains, and you get like 8-10 chances for a library positive human civ.  Smaller etc. worlds will probably only ever have one library that is very likely dwarven, and we'll need to fix the horse-lag and other lag at those sites before they are usable.
Thanks for the info toady!
Also, I am LOVING the way you are taking this game, I haven't had this much fun in dwarf fortress for a long time, especially the additions to adventure mode, there is SO much to do now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:46:20 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 06:49:41 pm »

May I sig?
Naturally.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2015, 12:07:57 am »

A trip to the continent ruled by the humans of Mauve Kingdom was quite an eye opener.

A vast sprawling metropolis with almost no greenery in between the so-called hamlets and towns. This is what comes of building above ground I suppose. Wandering down the river into the town of Fondledgrasps I enquired as to the whereabouts of the library.

Just a few blocks away I found it. An imposing 4 story building which I was soon to discover held two additional basement levels. And row upon row of bookshelves filled to the brim with the secrets of evaporation, reproduction, animal dissection and other such arcane knowledge. Much more impressive than the Dwarvern equivalents I've visited.

I spent a happy day browsing the aisles and chatting with scholars from far off places before heading off in search of a bar brawl.
Pages: 1 [2] 3