Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Anyone found a library?  (Read 6427 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Anyone found a library?
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:15 am »

I know you can make them in fort mode, but they're supposed to show up as structures like taverns and mead halls and such right?

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
Re: Anyone found a library?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:14:34 am »

I've heard they're really rare.
I've found scholars and a ton of writing supplies in fortresses, but other than that, I haven't seen any.

I'm guessing it has something to do with world age. The worlds I generate are normally from 100-250, maybe it needs to be much more?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:38:55 am »

I tried 300 years and had no luck yet.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 06:02:50 am »

Legends Mode shows plenty of libraries in each of the world's I've made. Has anyone tried actually using that and Legends Viewer or something to hunt them down systematically?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:05:45 am »

so their like necro towers but instead of filled with smelly antisocial stiffs they're filled with smelly antisocial stiffs with a pulse?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:31:40 am »

Ok, I said 'plenty' but a small world I just made only has one. It's in a fortress. Will go and see if I can find The Oracular Library!

Hmm. Won't be able to start there though. The year the library was built, the fortress was trashed by a Forgotten beast. After that a bunch of elves moved in to study at the library. Now the staff are a mix of dwarves and elves. And of course the head librarian, Diedwaves The Moist Coasts, a towering hairy snail...

Should be a Fun trip.

Edit -- Right well, wasn't too hard to find. Hardly the library of Alexandria though. Small room with some tables and chairs on the first floor, room of bookshelves on the second. Not sure what the 47 elves and 2 dwarves do here all day...

After expressing my joy at learning the secrets of evaporation my adventurer is off to find the snail.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:05:32 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:57:05 am »

I've heard they're really rare.
I've found scholars and a ton of writing supplies in fortresses, but other than that, I haven't seen any.

I'm guessing it has something to do with world age. The worlds I generate are normally from 100-250, maybe it needs to be much more?

I've seen several in legends haven't been able to grace them with my presence yet... The town libraries are likely rather large I'll try today.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:03:23 am »

Yeah, I tried adding poetry generation back in and dealing with the freeze/kill/restart loop and made a few worlds, had one hit 850 years I think... no libraries.

Tried adding scholar:all to humans to make sure they have lots, nothing. It's pretty weird. Lots of taverns, lots of scholars around, lots of books being written, but something I'm doing is just keeping them from making libraries apparently.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 03:21:47 pm »

Yeah, I tried adding poetry generation back in and dealing with the freeze/kill/restart loop and made a few worlds, had one hit 850 years I think... no libraries.

Tried adding scholar:all to humans to make sure they have lots, nothing. It's pretty weird. Lots of taverns, lots of scholars around, lots of books being written, but something I'm doing is just keeping them from making libraries apparently.

I keep hearing they only appear in fortresses. Try going into the main entrance of a generated fortress and look for a small structure on the surface, but inside the fortress.

If that doesn't work (fortresses are notorious for instant FPS death in this new version), you could always cheat a fort embark, make a grand library, and then retire it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 03:27:09 pm »

I've found taverns in the fortresses but not a library, and yeah, the lag is awful in them right now.

All the dorfs trying to path up and down the center ramp.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 06:34:37 pm »

Just generated my first world in 42.02, found a library in Legends mode after about 190 years of world generation.

Did not show up on a string filter, as that seems to only search for names rather than structure types.  It is a structure by the way, not a site.

Legends Viewer does not display or search on structures, so I found it by reading through the legends mode list.  There was exactly one library, and it was constructed inside a fortress in year 44.  Smaller world, above-average number of civilizations.  Lots of beast rampages were going on in the fortress the year it was constructed.

Here is the seed, if anyone cares.  They seem not-to-hard to generate, but this is a nice war-raveged world with lots of sites changing hands:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 08:19:27 pm »

Just made a new world to celebrate 42.02: max sites, civs, size, history. Very nice not to have a crash. A browse of legends reveals just one single library in the whole world. The Home of Paper, located in the Dwarf Fortress Glazewiped.

Amusing Legends entry:
In the midwinter of 97, "Business: Nobody Weeps" was authored by the goblin Tode Malignedechoed in Glazewiped after a nightmare.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:22:06 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »

Nice thing about the library:  Box full of parchment quire and scrolls on the second floor.

Lack of writing instruments though.  Have not figured out how to write... I have the parchments, but I think I am lacking ink and quill?

Bad thing about the library:  LAG!  The fortress it is located in was in the middle of an insurrection when I spawned there.  Most people didn't know what was going on, they were able to tell me there were no fewer than 39 factions vieing for control, but the leadership was not threatened.  I assumed it was a loyalty cascade, or some sort of bug.

When I finally found the Militia Commander at the trade depot, he was able to tell me about the insurrection.  So that was cool.

Tavern and Library on the surface near the depot, didn't notice any temples.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:23:38 pm by puke »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »

New large world. This time there's 3 libraries. Two of them are in Human towns. So there you go. Libraries aren't limited to fortresses.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:25 pm »

Well, I think I had copied over an incorrect entity_default.txt at some point when trying to find libraries, found some now after updating and cleaning my files up.
Pages: [1] 2 3