Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844655 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3735 on: April 22, 2017, 12:55:51 am »

I've never bothered with roll20 since I live in GMT +10 timezone. Literally nobody runs games that fit my schedule. Play by post is too clunky to use efficiently as well. I think I'll stick with my home game on my kitchen table with beer and bad jokes.

Speaking of which, my group finally took an adventure hook bait! They got a message slipped under their door at the local inn at midnight telling them to wait at dawn at a nearby farm speak a special code when approached. They did it, met the local vigilante, got given a quest to rescue some slaves from being torn apart by a pack of hellhounds, and were promised their reward if they completed the mission.

The fight against the hellhounds could have gone better, however. They used Wind Walk to travel after the pack, and half the group was still in gaseous form when the combat started. The look on their faces when I told them it takes 5 rounds to turn solid again was priceless! The samurai got surrounded and dropped to negative, used his once per combat ability to stay on 1 hit point, and the cleric pulled his ass out of the fire using their domain teleportation. It was only because the cleric burned through most of his high level spells to cast spontaneous cures that they survived.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: April 22, 2017, 06:54:23 am »

I almost wonder if... Discord would work halfway decently as a way to do a more fluid play by post...

I mean you can even set your nicknames... Set multiple chats up for IC and OCC... Even a section for rolls if you need it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: April 22, 2017, 08:14:36 am »

Kind of a pain to scroll back up for things.
Black lives matter.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:21 am »

I actually like roll20, but unless a game is on the weekend and relatively early in the afternoon I simply can't ever guarantee being able to attend sessions.
Case in point.

Roll20 once ran into my room brandishing a machete, swinging, and screaming obscenities.

Might have been a dream though.

I've had glitches in Roll20 but even if I multiplied the negatives of Roll20 there isn't anything that comes close to it in terms of quality and usability.

One of the only programs that could have competed with Roll20 is far too expensive (it needed to have GM and Player versions) and far too difficult to modify for the average user.
My friend uses tabletop sim for his games and then screen shares via Skype. He doesn't use music often because his fantasy music library is only dark souls, and it doesn't fit the more nonsensical game he has... Except when my character goes into a berserker rage, and then it becomes a theme song for myself as I slaughter enemies
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: April 22, 2017, 08:54:09 am »

If we're talking about tabletop sim programs, I like maptools a lot more then roll20, roll20 is certainly a lot more convenient for quickly getting together since it's just an internet link and you play though your browser, and the music feature is nice. But maptools feels like a much easier to use tool once you get into it, and has better options and more control, at least, that's how I feel.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:14 pm »

Still on the topic of tabletop sims...

My group is currently changing platforms from meetings at our GM's house to roll20, and I'm wondering how these online platforms affect off-topic chatter and such.
I mean, the GM will love to end off-topic conversations, but I worry if it will hurt the friendly environment that's required for a fun gaming experience. I think about it because some players in our group are bound to leave if the game become too impersonal.

Anyone care to share experiences about this?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #3741 on: April 24, 2017, 06:13:49 pm »

Well, if you use voice chat via Skype or similar platforms, the only difference will be that you can't see each other. I know i've had my share of off-topic chatter over Roll20 + Skype, so i wouldn't really worry about that part disappearing. If you only use text though, i won't lie, it gets kinda impersonal, but it can totally still work. I played a tiny bit of D&D that way, it ended up with the creation of a guy we called Godballs. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: April 24, 2017, 11:36:07 pm »

*MC sits in his tiny play-by-post corner by himself*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: April 24, 2017, 11:49:21 pm »

*MC sits in his tiny play-by-post corner by himself*

I am doing a Play by Post soon... I just need to do a interest check and then a write up.

The problem is how to hype it... hmmm

Since it is Dusk City Outlaws... a game even "I" haven't played yet... Hmmm.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:51:21 pm by Neonivek »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: April 24, 2017, 11:53:50 pm »

I am doing a Play by Post soon... I just need to do a interest check and then a write up.

What system is it?
It seems everything these days uses Pathfinder, and I don't know jack about that system.
And since I don't have a computer, I can't look it up. The site that most people link to won't load on my DS
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:12 am »

What system is it?
It seems everything these days uses Pathfinder, and I don't know jack about that system.
And since I don't have a computer, I can't look it up. The site that most people link to won't load on my DS
I've heard pathfinder is 90% 3.5 dnd, 10% reballancing of the classes, 10% modern-themed homebrew; yes, I know that adds up to 110%. That said, never had the opportunity to look at in in depth myself or to play it.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: April 25, 2017, 12:12:29 am »

Dusk City Outlaws a pick up and play system where you are a bunch of Quasi-Mafioso members who have to pull of a bunch of daring heists.

You pick your class and cartel and they do have an effect. Most of your actions are to attempt to increase your chances of pulling off the final heist.

However, if you draw too much attention to yourself you start to generate heat. The more heat you generate the more complications will arise (Heat doesn't end the game, unless I guess it was a mechanic for a heist... which it always isn't) as city watch, royals, and detectives start to work against you... or even just bad luck in your path.

I'll definitely have to do a run through of the rules for the players... so I guess I'll put a copy here later.

---

A big plus in its favor that I am a big fan of is how much of the game is just... done.

There is an Alchemist class and their ability is to create alchemical items, they can create anything they want within reason (and there is a section of the book that highlights the three-four precepts.) and they can create them without needing to roll.

In fact the Assassin's ability is if they catch a minion on their lonesome... they just kill them.

---

A negative is that other than the class and cartel you don't have any other impact on your character other than backstory, gender, name, appearance... that stuff.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: April 25, 2017, 12:48:45 am »

Sounds more like a boardgame than a legit RPG, but what do I know.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: April 25, 2017, 01:02:50 am »

Sounds more like a boardgame than a legit RPG, but what do I know.

Games like this are actually becoming more and more popular as players want to do character creation and rule fiddling less and less...

Pick up and play might end up becoming more popular than dungeons and dragons eventually as the hobby becomes more popular.

Though you definitely aren't the first person to compare it to a boardgame...

I just like how it doesn't try to weasel you out of your own abilities... like... most pen and paper RPGs try to do.

To admit I do regret getting it.. >_< but I felt guilty pissing on it when Reelya chewed me out for not liking it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:09:35 am by Neonivek »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:00 am »

Eh, I'd be willing to try it.

I can see why people would be for/against simpler games, as each have their own merits (Yeah, some PnP games do try to weasel you out of some clever ideas, but having a good GM helps {which is why I like how Highmax puts up with my insane teleporting nonsense in his games :P }). I'm good with either, really.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 623