Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 469

Author Topic: X-Com Chimera Squad  (Read 699702 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com 2
« Reply #1920 on: July 27, 2015, 04:26:53 pm »

I kinda assumed the Advent soldiers were just on allllllll the meld.  Though I guess elite EXALT soldiers still bled red, they just had yellow meld pheremone auras and such.  Still, I'm leaning towards pure humans with excessive meld injections.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 27, 2015, 04:28:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure Meld isn't going to be mentioned by name in the game. So it'll just be "extensive genetic modification," but to the point of "improving a human" rather than "making a human alien-like."
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 27, 2015, 04:49:14 pm »

Now that Meld has been mentioned, I wonder if this is a sequel to EU or to EW. Did XCOM ever get it's hands on Meld?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:40 pm »

Now that Meld has been mentioned, I wonder if this is a sequel to EU or to EW. Did XCOM ever get it's hands on Meld?
That's a good question. Even if they were beaten super early, the tutorial mission at the very least would give them a little.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 27, 2015, 05:13:03 pm »

I hope it's EW just so EXALT can be involved.  Former-EXALT recruits would be cool, a second terrorist faction could be even cooler.
I would expect ADVENT to be EXALT except that they insisted it's not the case.  Might still be some connection though, maybe a splinter cell that collaborated.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:04 pm »

I maintain that EXALT will be a conservative crime squad to XCOM's LCS. Because damn it, that would be cool.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 27, 2015, 06:23:55 pm »

I like to imagine that EXALT would also be human supremacists, but they think that humans should effectively become worse than the aliens in order to overpower them, while XCOM are proud racial purists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 27, 2015, 07:35:49 pm »

Well, in Enemy Within, EXALT appeared well into the campaign, and in XCOM 2's timeline, XCOM was swiftly defeated. They've mentioned the organization not even developing laser weapons. EXALT would've never had the chance to make an entrance. Perhaps the aliens built ADVENT using the sympathizers which would've otherwise grown into EXALT as a starting point, but the latter never really came to exist.

Also, I very much doubt EXALT would be made of human supremacists. That kind of people wouldn't run a subversion campaign against the primary planetary human defense force in the middle of an alien invasion. They're pro-alien, collaborationists, clear as day.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »

Exalt probably isn't going to be in XCOM2. I'd like to see the return of their backers, though. The stuff gained from the HQ raid hinted at an actual backstory for EXALT.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 27, 2015, 07:52:42 pm »

Wasn't the idea that EXALT is a world-domination-type conspiracy that's old as hell, and what we saw of them in EW is just their anti-XCOM arm?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 27, 2015, 08:44:43 pm »

That's the impression I got from their base loot, yeah.  Also I'm pretty sure Operation Progeny indicated that EXALT stole Annette from the aliens.  Or, something...  The first Progeny mission is apparently the aftermath of EXALT-on-human fighting, and I'm not sure how that makes sense.
She/they

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:59 pm »

I hope it's EW just so EXALT can be involved.  Former-EXALT recruits would be cool, a second terrorist faction could be even cooler.
I would expect ADVENT to be EXALT except that they insisted it's not the case.  Might still be some connection though, maybe a splinter cell that collaborated.
mecs
MECS
MECSPLEASE
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 27, 2015, 09:14:28 pm »

That's the impression I got from their base loot, yeah.  Also I'm pretty sure Operation Progeny indicated that EXALT stole Annette from the aliens.  Or, something...  The first Progeny mission is apparently the aftermath of EXALT-on-human fighting, and I'm not sure how that makes sense.
Basically, in Portent, elements of the French military were moving Annette for purposes unknown, ostensibly to protect Annette from the alien threat; this convoy was attacked by EXALT, and alien forces arrived on the scene only after XCOM's response force secured the area.  At a guess, the French military and government knew nothing about the convoy until after XCOM exfiltrated and the Council went to Paris demanding answers, because we never hear the true nature of the cargo until XCOM successfully secures the sabotaged dam and discovers a very angry Annette.  We also know for certain that while EXALT successfully takes Annette after Portent, it's the aliens who make use of her power; her higher-level psionic powers (that is, her theoretical cutscene powers) are burned out when she's used to mind-control of a large number of XCOM base personnel in order to disrupt the base defenses before the alien attack.  Portent could have been a "left-hand right-hand" situation where the French military forces in question had been mind-controlled into delivering Annette to the aliens, and a local EXALT cell spontaneously attacked them without clearing it with their higher-ups in order to seize this special prize for their alien masters allies, which must have made for a very...interesting hand-off.  Alternately, the French simply thought they could handle the aliens where other national governments couldn't, or didn't want to call in XCOM for a single civilian when they themselves couldn't provide the answers as to why the aliens were so interested in this person, and didn't want to admit that after they screwed up by the numbers. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:18:21 pm by Culise »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 27, 2015, 09:23:30 pm »

mecs
MECS
MECSPLEASE
There's already ADVENT MECs in use. I wouldn't doubt that XCOM could loot MECs from storage facilities/the battlefield and break whatever security ADVENT might have installed on them.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 27, 2015, 09:30:50 pm »

SECTOID MEETS MECTOID
GET REKT
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 469