Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we take mate off of the "List of Important People"?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 01, 2016, 07:55:06 pm

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43

Author Topic: Gloomdiamonds: The End of the Story (Finished)  (Read 53325 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gloomdiamonds: A Familiar Darkness Falls on Us
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »

Wouldn't a quantum stockpile under a workshop cause it to become cluttered?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2016, 07:22:09 pm »

Nah. Two things.

First, clutter only counts things that are inside the workshop, when you check with t. This is usually useless, as you can't put stockpile in same tile as workshop tile, though you could finagle second and third tier industries with stockpile linking to just prevent them from being carried away after being dumped.

Granted,if you want to dump them into the center of workshop tile from above for even higher jobs-per-day, mind the fragile dwarven skulls

Second, when I say under the workshop, I mean under the workshop. Like so:

z1: WWW | A workshop with only center tile being floored, with edges hanging in mid-air
z0: ▲#▲≡ | A Track stop that dumps onto ramp/stockpile, so that the worker has to take only single step for next piece of material.

Non-magma workshops have to be placed on constructed floor, and then that constructed floor must be deconstructed. Mind ramps traversal being limited by walls, as well as impassable tiles of workshop blocking ramp traversal there.

Instead of downward ramps on edges, you can also do something like this:
z1, floor: _>_
z0, ditto: _<_ 

If you floor over down or updown-stair, build something on top, and then deconstruct the floor you'll have the floor revert to downstairs in either case.

For magma workshops, you don't need to muck about with deconstructions - furthermore, edge tiles can be placed on any non-wall or fortification tile, so you can have upramps inside the workshops, perhaps with something like this:

z1:  FFF
z0: ~#▲SS

Situational, as bars are 1 tile further away (2 tiles from center of forge), and you have to run lean surplus to avoid cluttering.

Of course, if you're willing to partially or fully obsidianize your workshops this can be used for any workshops, and you get to use walls, fortifications and center tile too. It's a rather substantial hassle, though it supports industries where goods go directly from workshop to workshop without a stockpile in-between, like clothing.

Demonstrated in this POI, though only with downramps/workshops - at the time I didn't know about downstair/floor tricks and magma workshops's larger freedom, nor had yet to extensively work with magma and minecarts when designing it - I'm certain a more efficient layout could be devised, especially if your fortress makes little use for using stones for jewelry or stonecrafting, or limits ores exclusively to smelters.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:26:00 pm by Fleeting Frames »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 21, 2016, 11:21:35 am »

Finally did it. I updated the census... I Never want to do that again, I swear the word "alive" is now ingrained in my head after highlighting it 100+ time and changing it to green.

You can lower your weapons now gents.
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 21, 2016, 11:34:27 am »

“so there's this hypothetical dragon’’

Massive effort in microing. I hope it is easier to update as the game advances?

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 21, 2016, 02:59:06 pm »

Finally did it. I updated the census... I Never want to do that again, I swear the word "alive" is now ingrained in my head after highlighting it 100+ time and changing it to green.

You think that was annoying, I assembled that list manually.

Also, you should probably mark which of the original group are now dead, which is most of them.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 21, 2016, 04:10:40 pm »

You think that was annoying, I assembled that list manually.

Also, you should probably mark which of the original group are now dead, which is most of them.

I'm gonna do the Book of the Dead tomorrow, and thank you for your hard work, I think those lists go unappreciated. Thank You

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 21, 2016, 08:47:10 pm »

Also, should I remove mate from the list of important people?

He played a pivotal role in Doomforest, but has yet to make an appearance here.

I leave it to the forumites to decide his fate.

EDIT: Also, after re-reading Doomforests, I realized I kinda hijacked the entire thread and saga... oops. Sorry Fellas
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:52:45 pm by TheImmortalRyukan »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 21, 2016, 09:05:08 pm »

I'm gonna do the Book of the Dead tomorrow, and thank you for your hard work, I think those lists go unappreciated. Thank You
I'm certainly confused why would anyone make such lists.

You can perhaps simplify to transfer the information quickly for anyone who wants to pore through and ask "is X dead?", especially with the unit list being screenshottable (+ not sure if it is supports forum dwarves - if not, there area always image to text interpreters, which should parse ASCII well).

But, it is not like anyone interested in them won't ask next "how did X die" or such. 'sides:
A gory tale of glory-seeking, one dwarf facing off against superior numbers or beast of legend, whether it is a overeager soldier or hunter who fought instead of flying away is what passes for entertainment and action.
A note of death, a dead body in a well, so often marks overseers' failure to follow OSHA, and can be played for humour, or as a story reason to cancel a project, or to avoid a building, believing it to be haunted by younger dwarves yet to see a ghost. A dwarf barely dozen years old as the overseer and mayor may not be best at ruling, no matter how cute they act.
An eulogy to life, a tribute or funeral procession with tombs fitting the character, the stories of those dwarves remaining as their comrade, child, husband, wife, parent, friend is torn away to leave hole in their life can be moving, and the yearning can be spun further as they carry on, able to admire the fine table crafted by their friend but becoming not quite themselves, off and badly distracted, in their grief of missing friend - or as they try to patchwork, replace the friend with others.
Three thousand deaths is just a statistic that only matters for preventing migration, and perhaps giving a bit of "weight of ages" feel.

Great list, but what's the use case? Nobody who hasn't read the story would search one, I believe.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 09:09:25 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 21, 2016, 11:11:43 pm »

Custodians Log supplemental
I have been doing some research into cleaning and the various materials used to do so. As is known by most dwarves there are four cleansers on this world. Three liquids (Blood, Magma, and Water) And one elemental (Fire) Some research indicates that alcohol could also be used but such sacrilege should not be encouraged. Yet as I delved deeper into the tomes I discovered a fifth cleaning substance. A solid. It is said that in a time before time it was once used to savetje greatest fortress under the surface of the world. Could this be what my dreams seek to tell me of?

OOC:So I crashed my computer (stupid exposed ram chips) and have had to replay a few days. But tommrow I should have a turn ready. One involving useless figurines slow frame rates., and maybe a month besides granite!
This Signature Is Left Blank till I see something Awesome to put here

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 21, 2016, 11:34:10 pm »

You still have a while wright, you good.

I also added my name to the end of the list

I may or may not dedicate my turn to building me a palace...  ::)

I should also note, that DarkOne's turn is only 2 years away..... Armok have mercy on their souls...

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 22, 2016, 05:05:45 am »

Blood as cleaner? Hm, not entirely incorrect I suppose. A tile with husking dust on bottom and blood on top will cover shoes in blood and not husk pastured animals.

Regarding Mate and Taupe, if this is about their lack of bio, why not write it yourself, or PM them?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 22, 2016, 07:15:46 am »

Blood as cleaner? Hm, not entirely incorrect I suppose. A tile with husking dust on bottom and blood on top will cover shoes in blood and not husk pastured animals.

Regarding Mate and Taupe, if this is about their lack of bio, why not write it yourself, or PM them?

Mate hasn't been on since July... I could write one....

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 22, 2016, 11:10:14 pm »

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 10
   I have discovered a possible shortcoming in my predecessor's work. I am not entirely surprised. Often when one undertakes great projects some corners find themselves getting cut. So I am having a few walls built. Out of Lead. It will be remembered in the future as one of the greatest failings of Gloomdiamonds. And Pyrite will be blamed for it. Well that is assuming that the poison in the watersupply is caught in time...

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 11
    The Elves have arrived in a caravan. I have no intention of opening the gates. What use do I have for more pets that will simply revert to wild states later? Besides I'm not entirely sure we should be allowing elves to so much as look at our settlements. Though perhaps that is my grandfather speaking. Zoey has begun working on her artifact.  Some stones and a piece of Leather. Perhaps she'll make a slingshot or a mug with a leather grip.

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 14
   Izak has finished his figurine. I cannot say that I am impressed. It is of some Human. I am sure that this human thought themselves very important but why did the spirit decide it was of such import? Either way he is now back in the labour force. And since he has made one of these legendary items he will not be leaving his workshop on a madman's quest ever again! Well at least not a quest that results in a useless figurine being created.

Custodian's Log Dwarfdate 1056 01 19
   In spite of my efforts to avoid contact with them the elves have sent in a diplomat to communicate with us. They asked that we only “Butcher” onehundred and Nine Trees until our next meeting. Considering that we have over Nine Hundred logs in our stockpile I think we can handle that. Though in the end it will be beyond my control. My term as overseer will end before the elves next visit.

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 18
   I've had yet another night of restless sleep. Though I cannot recall what precisely I was dreaming about I have had an image burned into my mind. A series of square rooms reminiscent of my new workshop zone. The pattern is so intricate. Yet I remember it perfectly. I've added it to the list of new chambers to be dug out. But for now it is set as a lower priority. Bah. I can't let such things get in the way of my work.

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 01 21
   I have been told that we've gotten a little bit better at training rhinoceroses. I've also moved Ryukan to his new hauler's quarters. For now his only job is stone hauling.  Even if he is the only dwarf consistently carrying boulders around he will surely make a dent in the piles of the stuff we have laying around.
Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 02 01
   Never thought I would make it this far. For some reason it seemes as though the days are coming slower than they used to. Though perhaps that is simply the lack of sleep talking. I've been doing my best to help Ryukan clear the stone up. He seems unhappy with his current proffession. I would help him but honestly he's the only reliable stonehauler in the whole damn fort. As a sign of graditude I've improved his quarters having the engravers smooth the walls while Zoey made him a few  pieces of nice furniture. Being a “Janitor” myself I hope to use this brief bout of power to improve the lives of those who are most often ignored.

So far progress on the workshop zone has been slow. It seems that the miners are haphazardly digging any-which way they please. One dug out three rooms nine daggers square right where our reservoir is intended to connect. I asked the miner (By the name of WheelsRiddled) why she'd done it. The glazed look in her eye was all the information I needed. Seems the damn elves managed to push a few of their goods on her. Now I have to figure out a use for this damn thing.
   A dwarf by the name of SilverPillars dropped by today. Seems he wanted to enquire about the possibility of becoming the new GrandMaster Of Metalsmithing. I gave him the title though I have no plans to construct any metalworking shops. I think he was just fishing after the title. Either way I noticed how intently he was looking at the nearby furniture. Perhaps He's particularly fond of Green Glass?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 22, 2016, 11:16:48 pm »

Animals from the elves don't revert back to wild

Wight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 24, 2016, 05:46:54 pm »

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 02 24
   I heard some belching and croaking coming from below the fortress. Sure hope it's just my imagination. The alternative is too terrifying to bear. Digging on the workshop zone has been completed as well as the area below. Though I am unsure what exactly should be placed there I'm almost certain that it's purpose will be revealed to me soon. If only I could find the time to sleep.

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 02 25
   A Weaver by the name of Irontomes wandered into the caverns and found a creature of unknowable terrors. I've ordered the caverns sealed properly. It likely won't be enough.

Custodian's Log DwarfDate 1056 02 27
   The beast has breached our defenses. (Yet another thing I intend to blame on my predecessor.) I'm sending every available dwarf to take it out. Hopefully they can take it out quickly... Without too much fuss.

“Your chosen has died.”
   “Figures. These mortals are so fragile.”
`   “Perhaps it was too early to release the beast?”
   “No. Anyone who couldn't withstand such a simple creature could not have withstood the trials to come. I will start the possessions immediately.
   “Moving it all ahead?”
   “It will be difficult to get one less obsessed with cleaning to do such work for us. And it is not like he had any friends or family to continue on his work.”
   “Then we shall begin immediately.”

Diary of Izak Willtorch 02 28
   Our overseer has died in combat with the great beast (Along with a few other more useful dwarves) and as such we now have no leader. The other dwarves do not seem to mind much however. They've all left the site of the battle scurrying to work on their own projects. It's like as soon as he died everyone remembered that they have their own projects to work on. Though it may be a dishonorable thing to steal from the dead I have taken the key to the Overseers office from Chaz's corpse. I would like to see what precisely he had planned for the remainder of his reign. Besides it isn't like anyone will notice. They're all far to busy hauling furniture into the reservoir.

“It would seem your next chosen has chosen himself.”
   “Good. I really did not want to have to comb through the entire population again. But how to convince him that my goals and his line up.”
   “Use the beast.”
   “The wisest thing you have said in a long while.”
   Diary of Izak Willtorch 03 04
`   I'm not sure where the last few days have gone. I had the key in my hand intending to go to the overseers office when suddenly I found myself standing in my workshop making a toy hammer (A very nice toy hammer I might add) Most of the other dwarves are telling me of similar events. It also seems that this stick in my pocket marks me as the new overseer. Did we have a particularly drunken election?  Either way ass soon as this damn reservoir is filled I intend to forbid the drinking of booze. If only for a little while. Something just isn't right. 

Diary of Izak Willtorch 03 07
   I've made yet another brilliant work of art. This one depicts the overseer before last (the one who forgot that wooden doors do not protect fortresses) terrified of some wee snakes. I found it amusing. Zoey did not.

Diary of Izak Willtorch 03 11
   The reservoir has finally been completed! I lost a miner and some fool gemsmith to the onrush of water but idiots are acceptable losses. Everyone was quite excited about it. I guess I really have done something useful. And unlike my predecessor it only took me two weeks. Not bad if I do say so myself.  In celebration I have made a toy axe. Not sure why I didn't make a toy lever or something more appropriate. Frankly I just kind of make whatever seems to live within the stone.  Now we can all drink water should our liquor become. Whatever it takes to make a byproduct of rotten plants bad.

“That was easier than I anticipated. What exactly did you plant in this one?”
   “Nothing much. Just a bit of worry about poisoned drink.”
   “How ironic. Isn't that what you just gave them?”
   “Often when mortals try to avoid a certain event happening they cause that very event to happen. Some might call it fate.”
   “But not you?”
   “There is no fate. Only  manipulation.”
   Diary of Izak Willtorch 03 13
   I've had our goblin brewer inspect each of our 5082 bottles of Booze. It insists that there is no taint. For now I will trust it's judgment after all I doubt forcing everyone to drink only water would go over very well.
   Note to self: Ask Zoey how to Sex Goblins.

Note to self: Rephrase all future questions about goblin gender. Zoey slaps hard.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43