Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 61486 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #465 on: January 05, 2018, 07:50:30 pm »

I personally would like vipers, however I feel like I may be biased because of their ah... aesthetic appeal. However I feel like Mutons would probably be the best idea, both because they're an effective and durable unit, and because our enemies get far less benefit from a psionic free corpse than from a broken robot.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 05, 2018, 07:59:10 pm »

Seekers are superior skirmishers to Vipers. If we want a Skirmisher we want a Seeker (Which can also be used as an infiltrator). If we want a frontliner we want Mutons. If we want something in the Mobile Armor role (tank role) we want cyberdiscs as they can press forward and disrupt formations in a way infantry cannot. (Specially with their Explosive Bloom ability.)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 05, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »

Well I'm pretty sure that terror missions have one sole purpose, and that's providing panic points to a country. You would utilize them in conjunction with a infiltration strategy, first to take over and indoctrinate their leaders, than completely terrorizing a country into submission. Successful terror missions don't destroy the enemy countries, but rather they make a country fear that the Xcom project is useless and so they submit to us.

Secondly, instead of the Mutons didn't you propose the Reavers?, which were based off my Sangheli Elite-horrible creation? I mean scary physical humanoid apes prone to rage and damage survival is all nice, but the reavers have two core ideas in them. Mantis/Reptilian knowledge gives them great assets in combat, whether we give them giant scythes as secondary Arms to rip people in half, armored exoskeletons, or the super tactical knowledge we can give them. It just seems more... uh original to us if we utilize the Mantis/Reptile SEAL commandos, than the mutons for our frontline unit.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »

Well I'm pretty sure that terror missions have one sole purpose, and that's providing panic points to a country. You would utilize them in conjunction with a infiltration strategy, first to take over and indoctrinate their leaders, than completely terrorizing a country into submission. Successful terror missions don't destroy the enemy countries, but rather they make a country fear that the Xcom project is useless and so they submit to us.

Secondly, instead of the Mutons didn't you propose the Reavers?, which were based off my Sangheli Elite-horrible creation? I mean scary physical humanoid apes prone to rage and damage survival is all nice, but the reavers have two core ideas in them. Mantis/Reptilian knowledge gives them great assets in combat, whether we give them giant scythes as secondary Arms to rip people in half, armored exoskeletons, or the super tactical knowledge we can give them. It just seems more... uh original to us if we utilize the Mantis/Reptile SEAL commandos, than the mutons for our frontline unit.
From a mechanical sense yes they do provide panic points to a country, however do you really think you would trust somebody who was going around making you country into a real life horror movie? The entire point of making allies is to gain the support of the human population, the entire purpose of terror missions, beyond the purely mechanical sense, is to terrify the humans into giving up, if we terrorize the same country we intend to recruit, then we will lose at least a large portion of the benefits from doing any recruiting.
Put another way, we can increase panic without doing terror missions that will inspire mass fear, mistrust, and hatred in the humans. Our normal missions will do this as well, but not to the point that inflicting fates worse than death on entire cities for what looks like shits and giggles to the average person would. Meanwhile we can't recruit human allies without explicitly trying to

As for the Reavers, yes, I made a heavily Earth DNA based design when we had tokens that gave us a direct benefit for using Earth DNA to make our designs, because that was the only way I believe such a design wouldn't have a major detriment to their design roll, Mutons meanwhile are explicitly mentioned in the OP as something we have encountered, and thus most likely used, and therefor will probably be normal difficulty or hard at the most to reproduce.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:53:06 pm by Failbird105 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:46 pm »

I'm marginally opposed to just making XCom units, because that's boring. However I appreciate the need for a combat focused unit, so let me propose the following:

Quote from: Brute
Humans have more going for them than just being the most intelligent native on the planet. They also have an impressive constituition and endurance. By taking a baseline human and improving it with excerpts of Muton DNA, we are able to massively enhance the specimen's physical strength and endurance further. Subdermal armour plates are implanted over the centre of mass to increase endurance yet more. Additional armour can be worn as needed.

This should produce a front line soldier capable of enduring the attentions of XCom operatives and dish out in kind. The basis of human DNA should also allow them to pass as gym fanatics to the casual observer, making them suitable back up on recruitment missions.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2018, 09:07:36 pm »

I'm marginally opposed to just making XCom units, because that's boring. However I appreciate the need for a combat focused unit, so let me propose the following:

Quote from: Brute
Humans have more going for them than just being the most intelligent native on the planet. They also have an impressive constituition and endurance. By taking a baseline human and improving it with excerpts of Muton DNA, we are able to massively enhance the specimen's physical strength and endurance further. Subdermal armour plates are implanted over the centre of mass to increase endurance yet more. Additional armour can be worn as needed.

This should produce a front line soldier capable of enduring the attentions of XCom operatives and dish out in kind. The basis of human DNA should also allow them to pass as gym fanatics to the casual observer, making them suitable back up on recruitment missions.
I like it, I like it. I'm left feeling unsure of its difficulty however, since it's relatively minor changes, yet also a relatively versatile unit lacking in any real weakness.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:10 pm »

I expect it to be around normal, because it really is just a human plus. We shouldn't be penalised just because it's a universally useful design.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 06, 2018, 01:17:30 am »

Cool Brutes are cool because human appearance could demoralize.

My next idea was the Chmiera, juggernaut configuration. In which Muton Betserker, with Amphibian and bug dna. For armor, leaping, berserk charges, and slight healing factor. ( Because some amphibians can do that.)

But I never vote my own ideas, never again anyway.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long Live United Forenia!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2018, 05:07:41 pm »

Well, I was just about to post all three submissions, but Nuke beat me too it. So, yeah...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2018, 05:50:43 pm »

Does xcom know, that we try to infiltrate before we infiltrate, or they will get to know, only if we really get goofed during infiltration, ebbor ?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2018, 06:24:10 pm »

Revision
Our current form of electric countermeasures against the enemy's radar and guided system is too ill-effective to have any actual usage for our combat crafts. The main improvement we done with an entire rework of our ECM is that it can be activated for any time during aerial combat without inhibiting our ships from having to move in subsonic speed in a straight line. The integration of this technology into the flight computer rather than it being a simple deviation from the technology, is that both the ECM and flight computer can work in conjunction with each other allows them to function in tandem allowing both to be activated in the same time. Future modification have also went into the radar distraction in which we can make a smaller ufo appear as a larger one by creating a false or amplified electrical signature. This will allow our ufos to masquerade as a larger craft, there has been minimal effort in even allowing a craft to condense their electrical signature to appear smaller on radar, but not in the visible light sense. However this isn't the priority of the revision, but rather to make sure the ECM and the flight computer can work in conjunction is the main thing that needs to be addressed.
Easy : 3+1+1 = 5 Average

The new ECM system does what it's supposed to do. No fancy cloacking circuits, no violent energy feedbacks, no sudden loss of flight control. It simply decieves missiles, and manipulates radar signatures. With the system online we should see a significant reduction in the enemy missile accuracy, decreasing their fighters effectiveness by as much as 50%. As a secundary feature, we can boost our ships radar signatures, making it appear far more threathening than it actually is. However, emissions strengthened in such way will be far easier to spot.

Battle

Mission 1
Mission Type: Recruit Collaborators.
Craft(s): 1 Small Scout (Free), 2 Medium fighter (4VP)
Unit loadout: 2 Sectoid (2xPlasma Pistols, 2xElerium Grenade) (2UP, 2EP)
  2 Skin Crawlers, Infiltrated (6-2=4UP)
Destination: Australia

Insertion goes off without a hitch. Under cover of darkness, a small Scout drops of 2 groups of meticulously suited Skin Crawlers, who carefully make their way into town. After succesfully navigating such intracies of human life as crossing roads, opening doors and ordering a drink in a pub, they manage to make contact with our first possible collaborator.

Mister Tamsyn, senior level research director in one of Australia's largest energy corporations. A man smart enough to recognize what the capabilities of your crafts truly represent, and what great wealth could be gained from it. He's you way into Australia's economy, and from there, the rest of the country. Negotiations are swift and occur with little interference. There's a small moment of fright when a sectoid drops in through the hotel window, but after overcoming his initial suprise Tamsyn appears to be more fascinated than horrified. With negotiations concluded, both sides part ways, and not a moment too soon.

XCOM arrives in force just as Smal UFO is dropping in to evacuate the sectoids. With no more point in stealth, the UFO sets course straight for the town, landing in a central Plaza. High above 2 Ravens and 2 Medium fighters engage. Not wanting to be suprised this time, the Ravens immediatly fire their missiles, two volleys of 6 flying towards the fighters. ECM systems activate, and the majority of the missiles loose lock, flying of into the sky. Two still hit their target, biting into light armor and destroying some redundant systems.

Curiously, the Raven's do not fire a second salvo, closing in instead. A deadly close range exchange is the result, plasma fire tearing through the two Raven's. But the medium fighters do not escape unscatched, having suffered several armor penetrations. Were there used to be additional missiles, the Terrans had instead fitted some kind of pods that launched shells with tremendous velocity. They only got to fire a few, but each tore 2 nice holes through the ship.

On the ground, the situation is not much better. XCOM is deploying in force, 3 Skyrangers dropping of troops through the city. Worse, the Skyrangers then take up overwatch positions in the sky. The light UFO opens fire and manages to disable one, before they suddenly retaliate. Pods, fitted underneath the craft fire high speed projectiles which tear through the UFO's hull, disabling it.

With 2 Skyrangers overhead, and a full 3 human squads on the move, the Sectoids stand little chance. One by one they're picked of at range, too far away to use their grenades or the gift. Railgun slugs pierce through or blow up cover untill none remain.

The Skin crawlers are more succesfull. Disguised as humans or scenery, they twice manage to lead XCOM into a trap, tearing through the enemy at close range with their vicious tentacleclaws. Once the element of suprise is gone however, they get put down at range.

Mission Succes : Team lost Australia now lightly infiltrated

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Design  Phase

Challenge award : Later

Info : We're detecting unusual psionic activity from the planet. The signal was very weak and could not be located, but it was definitively there.

Turn 5

AABBCCDD
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:49:04 am by 10ebbor10 »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2018, 06:42:10 pm »

Proposal: We should design something capable of triangulating that psionic signal. Any use of The Gift is of Prime Importance.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 06, 2018, 06:46:40 pm »

Did we duck up so hard, that xcom has all our shit now ?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 06, 2018, 06:49:56 pm »

We infiltrated, won the air combat, but we lost the ground combat. So our priority outside of IDing the Gift use should be on upgrading ground combatants. *Cough give sectoids armor cough*

I'm not sure what happened to the fighters.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 63