Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 2191

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2841040 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #29940 on: February 06, 2017, 01:38:50 pm »

So has anyone seen Youjou Senki? Now i usually despise the magical girls stuff...(with the exception of that Swiss Witch in World War II but that sucked towards the end too) but this. This is awesome.

MC is basically some Second Lieutenant Magical Girl in the German Imperial Army Expy during World War I...only mages are common and people are used to them.
The difference to the normal stuff is, that the MC is a sadistic Sociopath who has nothing but his/her career in mind and tortures her own men and/or sacrifices their lives without a second though. She is hiding that behind a veneer of Fanaticism for the Fatherland and Religiosity...and its so god damn glorious. "Magic" is also rather restricted so far which is nice, basically they can super-power their rifle shots, can fly and make energy shields and thats that. Which is fine. In this universe they basically work as a replacement for air force and tanks crammed into one.

If you are a fan of ye olde grimdark, hyperviolence then that show is about right for you, especially since it contains a lot of trench fighting, (including magical napalm bombs and normal chlorine gas goodness) dog fights between the mages (its magic yeah, but not over the top in a way, it fits seamlessly into the world as something completely normal...which i like) and thank the gods, no fan service so far.

Plus the story is so full of beautiful sadistic black humor, but i won't spoil it for you...have a watch if ye want something (i guess) different from the usual fare.
Summarizing the story a different way, the MC is a Japanese John Galt who died, immediately started sassing God, and was sent to purgatory to be a magic attack helicopter in WWI.

As for the versatility of magic, it's really just a source of energy, which they need technology to use for anything practical. The jewels they wear on their neck are for that, but the rifles are designed to be useful for channeling attack magic and the boots for air magic. However, they also do a lot more complicated stuff in the novel, and in particular magic is what's used to not die at the elevations they reach. That's why Tanya's type 95 jewel allows her to fly substantially higher than the mages of the François Republic in the first episode, and that's the main thing that causes her to explode at high altitudes when testing the type 95.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29941 on: February 06, 2017, 02:09:56 pm »

Strike Witches is wholesome family entertainment.

The Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs has awarded loli pantsu anime Strike Witches a ringing endorsement, in the form of an official recommendation.

The government run Media Art Festival exhibited the title alongside various other excellent anime in the venue’s mini-theatre, and families could be seen taking their children to watch this fine example of Japanese cultural excellence
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I went to an official Japan promotion event run by the embassy and there was some pretty weird shit there. I don't know if I needed to know so much about the anime crossdressing subculture.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29942 on: February 06, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »

The recently started new DBS arc looks to be pretty awesome, judging by the cool new opening and the most recent episode.
._.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29943 on: February 06, 2017, 03:31:52 pm »

Just finished marathoning DBS this weekend, Pilaf makes everything better, and I did not realize how much I had missed his gang until they came back.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29944 on: February 06, 2017, 05:15:43 pm »

The DB part which was missing for so long in DBZ is back, and fun.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29945 on: February 06, 2017, 08:02:05 pm »

I really hope that by fluffy you don't mean it lacks substance, or meat as it is.

I wouldn't go that far, I mean more that the friendships are cute. It's not a heavy, plot-y series. It gradually develops the world and its cast through a series of more-or-less self-contained stories. The main character gets the most development, but some of the more significant people in the supporting cast are interesting and complex. Some of the rest are kind of blanks -- I honestly didn't realize for a while that he had some consistent friends because they're incredibly nondescript and I just forgot about them in the month(s) between chapters.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #29946 on: February 06, 2017, 11:40:27 pm »

Spice and Wolf I just finished binging this morning and it didn't have nearly as much medieval economics as I would have preferred. This show is ecchi in disguise, sold to me as hard historical fantasy, but turned out to be driven mostly by an intelligently written (the characters I felt were mostly excellent except for some personal gripes) love story
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You've passed Economics 101 with Professor Fluffytail; now it's time for Economics 201 with Professor Demontits.
It's been nearly a full year but I'm finally getting around to watching this. 9 minutes in and it looks promising.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29947 on: February 06, 2017, 11:58:26 pm »

Big surprise here: the same director was in charge of Spice & Wolf & the Mayou series.

They're both from light novels. Another LN adapted anime that has a very similar character dynamic to those was Dantalian no Shoka. It's more of episodic horror stories (which don't end well for anyone involved) and the male/female MCs are investigators who act as more of a framing device for the horror/mystery stories.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:13:46 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29948 on: February 07, 2017, 08:03:14 am »

If I had to choose between Kingdom and Grimgar, which?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29949 on: February 07, 2017, 08:15:07 am »

Grimgar - modern teens trapped in RPG world, feels/drama/fights. Nothing is developed or revealed "plot" wise (though a lot of teary character development). 12 episodes.

Kingdom - epic war story set in China's 3 kingdoms era, 77 episodes: "Kingdom is the story of a young boy who grew into a great general and all the trials and bloodshed that led him there."

Though I'm not very familiar with Kingdom, Grimgar is unlikely to get a sequel series, so you'll almost certainly be left hanging. Kingdom has more meat.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:27:23 am by Reelya »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29950 on: February 07, 2017, 08:25:26 am »

I didn't watch the whole of the kingdom anime because I found I enjoyed the manga more, but it's pretty good. It's graphically pretty poor at first but I either got used to it or it got better. The manga is better and worth a read as well. (although it's sliding into some weird thing where everything is super overacted all the time by everyone.)

The kingdom anime doesn't nearly cover the whole story though, and idk how likely it is to ever get finished either. He doesn't even really become a general, just the commander of a small unit (although to be fair, he's not even a general yet in the manga, but his unit is like ten times bigger). So if only a partial story bothers you, then, rip, I guess. The manga isn't finished either but it's still going strong.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:32:07 am by Criptfeind »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29951 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:20 am »

I heard 'Grimgar has teary character development' and I'm already decided.
Anime teens cause me some pretty bad gutclench.

Cheers for the recommendations. Kingdom 'tis. It can tide me over until Vinland Saga gets animated.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #29952 on: February 07, 2017, 10:06:00 am »

New GITS movie. I know it's not anime...but it's based on anime, so I'm going to talk about it here.

I fully expect it to be 10% scifi special effects, 40% philosophical discussion, 40% action, and 10% fan service.
Any deviation from my expectations shall result in me throwing an internet tantrum and disavowing the movie forever.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29953 on: February 07, 2017, 11:13:24 am »

[...] 40% philosophical discussion [...]

I think you overestimate Hollywood. I expect 60% action, 20% pretending to have some sort of deep philosophical message, 10% posing, and 10% sci-fi CGI art shots.

And to the previous discussion about Konasuba and fanservice, are we sure we watched the same show? I remember there being an episode about stripper succubi wearing almost nothing and bouncing all over the screen; It was so bad I skipped the rest of the episode after five minutes, because goddamn was that cringey and painful.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29954 on: February 07, 2017, 12:27:18 pm »

Not a lot of redeeming from our redeemer :P

Though I admit I was surprised the anime Reelya suggested was a Monster of the Week anime.

Though goodness can I feel the slice of lifeness. If this were any other anime all these things would be character informing/developing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:28:55 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 ... 2191