Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 676463 times)

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #735 on: April 22, 2014, 05:32:44 pm »

Yes Thanatos would go into a bloodlust filled rage knock you out, dismember you, tie together your body parts and then proceed to drag your bodie in the halls all the while chanting an ancient text.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 22, 2014, 05:40:44 pm »

OOC: As a demon in a dwarf's body, who should I talk to first if I intend to announce that fact to everyone?

Well, count out everyone who would instantly kill you. So no Brenzen, Rhaken or probably Artyom. They really can't know.
Lokast wouldn't tell anybody (he's mute BTW), most of the others would just be weirded out about it. Basically anyone who takes you seriously about this should be avoided.
A good angle might be to feign madness? That way the demon can act with impunity & the Knights won't do anything. Then you can interact with people who take it seriously but aren't murderous, like Fractal perhaps, and everyone else who's willing to go along with it in lieu of a argument.

In case anybody's interested as to where I get my ideas about the militia in Demongate, I've been running a parallel fort with a similar military focus (absolutely no traps, as a matter of fact). The RNG called it Greateststandards. Allow me to continue to talk about it whether or not anyone is actually interested, because I played it a lot today (it's just starting its 8th year now) and it's still on my mind. This is vanilla btw, so no Bloodkin spoilers.

It's got a surface palisade like Demongate. Turns out I was wrong about the archery towers btw - while dwarves do need room to dodge enemy fire, they should be forced to keep close to the fortifications. A row of statues between their position, the fortification and the stairs forces them to move right back into firing position after a dodge. I'm currently expanding my towers so that they're actually just a line of fortifications/statues/ramps around the palisade so I can order my dwarves to patrol the walls and move into the best positions regardless of where the enemy spawn.

Avoiding cross-training by keeping militia segregated is a great call. I've currently got a militia of 46 (in sword, axe, spear, hammer, and 2x crossbow squads respectively, although I'm going to make a new Mace squad soon) segregated in this manner, and believe you me it helps boost weapon skills quickly. I've tried to seed talented wrestlers around to try to boost wrestling stats in individual squads, but this has not yet succeeded.

Quality does matter a ton. I got in a war with the humans and elves in addition to goblins early on. I experimentally charged a squad of crossbowmen with my militia to see how they held up. 8 severed spines later, I reverted. Later I charged larger swarms of bowmen mixed with infantry, and received a whooping no projectile wounds due to better armor quality.

Actually, this fort is kind of embarassing. It has no dedicated workshop space after 7 years of gameplay, the framerate is atrocious, and I've been known to revert saves rather than accept extreme losses. I also haven't really been able to maximize militia happiness, which would really help accelerate training. You can fix most of the duty happiness bugs (making time off actually reduce the amount of time the dwarf has been 'on patrol' so they don't just get progressively more sad over the course of the year to the point of having to take them off duty for basically a year) with DFhack, but since we probably won't here I didn't there. And, despite having a volcano that against the odds is 2 z-levels below the surface, I haven't built a magma cannon. But it does have a solid gold pyramid tomb (4 z-levels high) for my militia commander. So there's that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:02:49 pm by MDFification »

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 22, 2014, 07:47:45 pm »

Yes Thanatos would go into a bloodlust filled rage knock you out, dismember you, tie together your body parts and then proceed to drag your bodie in the halls all the while chanting an ancient text.

A prime example of his usefulness as both a member of a secret society and a military leader.

In any case, telling people outright that you're a demon possessing someone would likely be a bad idea. An alternative route would be to take a post as a teacher in Tarmid's school and use that position to find some weak minded or disillusioned people to join a cult around you, so that if you ever decide to reveal yourself, no one can oppose you without a civil war. Not that that's the reason I took the job. If you really want to tell someone you've possessed the body, claiming to be the messenger of a god who your host willingly recieved generally goes over better than you being a demon who took the body by force.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 22, 2014, 08:27:32 pm »

A prime example of his usefulness as both a member of a secret society and a military leader.

In any case, telling people outright that you're a demon possessing someone would likely be a bad idea. An alternative route would be to take a post as a teacher in Tarmid's school and use that position to find some weak minded or disillusioned people to join a cult around you, so that if you ever decide to reveal yourself, no one can oppose you without a civil war. Not that that's the reason I took the job. If you really want to tell someone you've possessed the body, claiming to be the messenger of a god who your host willingly recieved generally goes over better than you being a demon who took the body by force.
He may try that and see how it goes over with the knights, I suppose.  Just remember that their order is sworn to destroy unnatural horrors at all costs.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 22, 2014, 09:56:51 pm »

Give us the updates Rhaken! Give them to us!
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 23, 2014, 08:37:51 am »

"Thane is romantically involved with Vladamir Uristovitch the Culmination of Plunging." Is this a sex joke? Who knows.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 23, 2014, 10:26:21 am »

"Thane is romantically involved with Vladamir Uristovitch the Culmination of Plunging." Is this a sex joke? Who knows.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 23, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »

Writing the entry plot with an axcursion all over the fortress. Maybe will have to re-write according to last Rhaken's post (hell where's he? I dunno how to react to some curious things I met in the depth)
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 23, 2014, 04:22:35 pm »

Writing the entry plot with an axcursion all over the fortress. Maybe will have to re-write according to last Rhaken's post (hell where's he? I dunno how to react to some curious things I met in the depth)
I don't know, but I think that whatever he has to say will pertain more to the state of history or to the world than it will your updates. You can probably go ahead and start.

Oh, and the tower of glory is beautiful!
What is the tower of glory?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 23, 2014, 04:25:10 pm »

Has anyone used the artifact tin axe? I just found out that it was my dwarf that made it, and if it hasn't been used I have... story... to use it for.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 23, 2014, 04:26:37 pm »

Has anyone used the artifact tin axe? I just found out that it was my dwarf that made it, and if it hasn't been used I have... story... to use it for.
I don't believe anyone has used it; go for it.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 23, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »

I don't believe anyone has used it; go for it.

I feel a great disturbance in the dorf. As if millions of artifact tin axes struck the goblin dongwrangler in the chest and were suddenly deflected by his toad leather vest.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 23, 2014, 06:36:59 pm »

It can be used to execute prisoners-of-war, nice and slowly.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:40 pm »

No! Haven't you figured out Flame's personality! She would never make something to hurt somebody. It has another purpose, the reverse of what you might think.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 23, 2014, 08:17:08 pm »

No! Haven't you figured out Flame's personality! She would never make something to hurt somebody. It has another purpose, the reverse of what you might think.
I suppose I just didn't make the connection that a demonic-dwarf with body-possessing magical powers meant no harm to anyone.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 172