Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 675930 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate: There Are No Heroes
« Reply #1095 on: May 19, 2014, 12:59:15 pm »

I can get to at least mid-summer by Wednesday or so. I will see what I can do. Next up will be finishing the obsidian fabricator and relevant quarters for lever-pullers and miners.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 19, 2014, 05:06:59 pm »

So by the end of your turn, our note count should be close to breaking 60.
Why are there so MANY.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 19, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »

I guess it's just backlash from the anarchy of Steelhold's "organisation". Plus, there does seem to be a lot of levers in Demongate.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 19, 2014, 09:09:53 pm »

So by the end of your turn, our note count should be close to breaking 60.
Why are there so MANY.

1) Label your levers.
2) Levers are used to control things. There are a lot of things to control in a large Dwarven fortress like Demongate.

I’ve edited my last post about the events at the end of Slate. In other news:

Mayorial Ordinance: Temporary Hunting Ban
5th Felsite 659

No further hunting is to take place in Demongate in the interests of protection from goblin ambushes. ☼250 penalty for violations.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:05:15 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 20, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

But who will supply our bonecarvers with bones?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 20, 2014, 06:51:32 pm »

I'm sure we have enough cats that we could convince a few to make a sacrifice for the greater good.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 21, 2014, 04:42:49 pm »

But who will supply our bonecarvers with bones?

The size of the units list is already restricting migration to the fortress.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 21, 2014, 09:13:45 pm »

I guess it's just backlash from the anarchy of Steelhold's "organisation". Plus, there does seem to be a lot of levers in Demongate.

Do you think it the three hospitals (of which only one was properly equipped, except I never filled the cistern...) were the straw that broke the camel's back? Or perhaps it was the functionless ventilation shafts that ended up serving as very inefficient pathways from a dining hall to a residential area/Gratuitous Church of Zane?

My biggest regret from my turn was I never did find the time to construct a device to purge the fortress with sea water. It would have been a great way for the fort to die. Vampire tantrum spirals just didn't seem... clusterfucky enough for Steelhold.

Also yeah, as much as it pains me to say it, we're going to have to start enforcing turn time limits eventually. How much longer do we want to give Archmage? Turn definately shouldn't be reverted because of engineering shennanigans being generally good if we end it prematurely, so I guess in that case we'd just do what we did with Rhaken/4mask?
On that note, my exams are comming up and then come summer I'll be without internet, so I'm probably going to have to be skipped indefinitely. Hopefully the fort will still be here after July - I could get a few days off to mess around with it. But in the (much more likely) event that the fortress dies horribly before then, I suppose I'll just hope it didn't end up being Vlad's fault.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 22, 2014, 12:31:47 am »

I'd very much like to see the Captain's work realized, but there is only so much leniency we can allow. If we fail to see legitimate progress in the immediate future, I fear that we must pass along the fort.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 22, 2014, 05:03:19 am »

If we haven't heard from him by tomorrow, I'll PM him, and if there isn't some progress after that, the fort will get passed along at the end of the weekend.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 22, 2014, 07:45:28 pm »

Sorry guys, I was completely occupied by real life stuff, but I will attempt to get this completed by the weekend. Before the weekend, even.

Because fuck, this fort is getting high.

I'd very much like to see the Captain's work realized, but there is only so much leniency we can allow. If we fail to see legitimate progress in the immediate future, I fear that we must pass along the fort.

I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY, THE CHILDREN OF DEMONGATE WILL BE JUDGED, NOT BY THE FACT THEIR BEING ELVES, BUT- OhFuckItWrongSpeech.

No shit, that speechwriter should be fired. Out of a magma cannon.

BREAKING NEWS: OUR FORTRESS IS UNDER SIEGE

Mayorial Ordinance: Prepare for the Elves!
5th Granite 659

The surface is still a mess. Clear up those corpses and make ready for trading with the elves! Employment opportunities available!

Guildmaster’s Journal by Helgarde, 14th Slate 659

Damnation. I’d made some cleanup arrangements outside and built some outdoor minecart tracks to make things nicer for the merchants, and force them to take a sane path to the fortress. Because merchants usually use wagons, it is usual to travel by a wagon-accessible route, which I made as convenient as possible for this fortress. The wagons cannot go over minecart tracks because they stick.

After days of hauling trash or corpses into an anything-goes heap for sorting, we’re now under siege. This probably means we will not be seeing the elves, but it also means we have a battle to fight. All dwarves fall back to the fortress! To arms! Close off the trade depot!

15th Slate 659

The sieging forces killed one of our injured hunting dogs, who was trying to make it back inside. Otherwise, even the cats had the judgement to get back inside when the alarm rang. I will try to arrange a full memorial if we get out of this alive.

I have raised the 1st Axe to wipe the trade depot. I gave orders to pull the levers and close the gates, but the order reached some fucking moron at the bottom of the fortress and by the time the lever was pulled, we had many trolls inside the trade depot trying to destroy it. When the gate closed, the trolls were hurled in all directions with significant injuries, but a few ended up atop our walls, splitting the forces. I have ordered the inner gate to the trade depot opened, so the 1st Axe will clean them out, while the 1st Sword will deal with the trolls atop our walls.

There is only one elite crossbowgoblin, which is somewhat fortunate as we have not established our higher fortifications, but it is dangerous because I have heard those can shoot through fortifications.

16th Slate, 659

Today the mayor was yelling at me that there was some “gypsum” stored in the trade depot but there were trolls in there and I should go save it. No shit. The 1st Sword are in the tower stairwells, while the 1st Axe are waiting for another moron to pull the lever opening the inner gate of the trade depot.

17th Slate, 659

The enemy are charging the front gate, but the traps are holding. I’m ordering the front bridge retracted to prevent them entering the fortress at an inconvenient time. The lever to the depot has finally been pulled, and the surviving trolls stuck left inside are charging out into the company of axedwarves. The mayor is in a rage and is going after one with an exceptional bismuth bronze battle axe, but without much success. Meanwhile, Thanatos has cleared the last of the trolls from the walls!

18th Slate, 659

[font=trebuchet msThe traps cut down the goblins and trolls who entered in through the front gate, as our civilian rangers took shots at them. Meanwhile, one of the trolls from the trade depot made a beeline for the hatches leading underground, and I mobilised the crossbow dwarves. I think the trolls within the fort are now dead.[/font]

19th Slate, 659

With most of the enemy dead or heavily injured, I finally sent out the 1st Sword to finish them off. They didn’t stand a chance. One squad of goblins survived without any injuries, but they didn’t reach the fortress and turned back as they saw the carnage. Demongate reigns supreme! All hail Demongate!

Guildmaster’s Journal, 20th Slate 659

Spoiler: Aftermath of the Siege (click to show/hide)

I’ve checked the state of the fortress following the siege. The place is a mess, with troll blood splattered within our walls and a mixture of troll and goblin bodily fluids spread over our bridges and traps. It is no matter, for we lost only one members of the fortress.

The first was the hunting dog, who was unable to make it inside before being overtaken by the hoard. We did, however, have a second near-miss.

Remember when I ordered the drawbridge at the gate to be retracted? One of the usual individuals pulled the lever after the siege was over, after our swordsdwarves were back inside, but still dropping a kitten down a long drop. We could use some improvements in lever management.

Because the alert was out-of-date, it also confined our dwarves to the upper sections of the fortress, and halted construction of the obsidian fabricator. I will draw up some new burrows and alerts that are more worthy of this fortress.

I have added all the battle logs and drawn up some images of the mess left, attaching them to the previous entries in my diary so future historians, artists, and military leaders may know how the battle progressed and how we achieved our heroic victory today.

We will not likely be getting any elves to trade, but we are safer now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:38:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 22, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »

Sorry guys, I was completely occupied by real life stuff, but I will attempt to get this completed by the weekend. Before the weekend, even.

I HAVE A DREAM THAT ONE DAY, THE CHILDREN OF DEMONGATE WILL BE JUDGED, NOT BY THE FACT THEIR BEING ELVES, BUT- OhFuckItWrongSpeech.

Not a problem man, just gotta keep poking you to make sure you're alive. Things tend to get a bit hectic this time of year for most people.
As for the speechwriter... well we could make a pumpstack to the surface. It'd take some doing, though. We'd need... a 5x3 block of dirt/stone through the aquifer? It can be done. It's damn inconvenient though, because we'd be dropping it right on top of the magma forges.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 22, 2014, 10:43:22 pm »

Not a problem man, just gotta keep poking you to make sure you're alive. Things tend to get a bit hectic this time of year for most people.
As for the speechwriter... well we could make a pumpstack to the surface. It'd take some doing, though. We'd need... a 5x3 block of dirt/stone through the aquifer? It can be done. It's damn inconvenient though, because we'd be dropping it right on top of the magma forges.

The alternative is to use the draining method with pumps, which will also get our dwarves nice and strong. Ideally we can dig out most of the aquifer so the stone just underneath it is useful.

Aquifer powerplants are both feasible and powerful.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 23, 2014, 03:15:46 am »

It looks like things started to move after all. Perfect!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 23, 2014, 09:12:10 am »

"ARGHGGGGGG!! TO BATTLE MY BROTHERS, FIGHT ON TO THE VERY LAST BOLT." *Well shooting bolts by the handful.*

So did I get any kills in the battle.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 172