Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 676246 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2430 on: December 09, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »

.40 would be the better option in my opinion.
When I participate in the sequel thing, I'll use my gaming PC.
Mostly for my own sanity, since my normal DF computer doesn't go very fast anymore.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 09, 2014, 03:47:15 pm »

.40 seems fine for our purposes. But some problems with actual invasions may occur...
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 09, 2014, 04:58:32 pm »

.40 seems fine for our purposes. But some problems with actual invasions may occur...

To up the number of invasions we can just copy the goblin civ 4 times in the raws and rename it slightly differently. Then make sure we settle nearby many, many goblin civs.

Hrm. Meatgod was banned for child abuse or something, wasn't he? What did Gnorm get up to?

Also, I wouldn't say your overseers are safe yet. I still hold the record for highest death toll, I think, though I can't curse everyone in the fortress this time around.

Since we're close to the end of the overseer list anyway and the thread's been quiet for a good while now, I figure we might as well start planning for this sequel people are in favour of. Do you want to stay with .34? Going to .40 would be better in my opinion since we'd get to witness the slow advance of the bloodkin armies via reports from our liaisons. The world will have to be fairly small for FPS purposes if it's in .40 though.

World size actually has no effect on FPS. It got tested, and it has no noticeable effect.
I'd still rather do a full reboot and abandon the bloodkin idea but so far only me and jrocks seem to think this.

As to Gnorm; I never saw what he did exactly, but I do know he made a thread which was deemed harassment and bigoted by Toady, and that it had something to do with modded in transgender dwarves. It made the creator of that mod feel very, very uncomfortable. So I assume he systematically inflicted terrible suffering upon transgendered dwarves for kicks, in addition to whatever other nastiness went down. I have no way of contacting him, so I'll probably never find out for sure.

I advise not googling the Meatgod thing; you can still find the archived posts on the internet (along with who posted it, who's still active on the forum; he actually seemed pretty horrified himself by what he did after the fact, which I presume is the reason he didn't get permabanned). If you want that info just PM me and I'll send you a summary. It was a disturbing read.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:07:53 pm by MDFification »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: December 09, 2014, 05:18:31 pm »

I already read a summary of said event, although I think I got a watered-down version.
I'm not going to weigh in on the bloodkin thing since I haven't seen a single one, and I don't know much about them.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 09, 2014, 06:59:59 pm »

Oh. Oh my. I remember the Meatgod thing. Gave me the creeps then. Gave me the creeps now.

I have a test in around 11 hours, followed by a day of trying to get a map-reduce framework to not be a fiddlin' twat. After that, I'll get around to writing some shit. I fucking promise.

!!WARNING!!: Those spoiler tags are there for your protection.

Regarding the sequel. There are a million things we can do to keep it within the Steelhold universe. The Saints and the Bloodkin are part of but one world, after all. The Saints might be mobilized in a different world if need be, and Shank's mission is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the planned ending,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which may leave the Saints to turn their attention to other worlds.

If can stick to this world and move to a different landmass, or move on to another world entirely. Either way, this 'verse can continue if we wish it. The hard thing to settle on would be a theme/setting for the fortress itself.

Once again, I'm all for a coastal fort. I like building massive wooden constructions over or near the open water, like waterfronts and slums and fishing villages. Hopefully, that's not just me. A scheme of segregation like the one present in Glovedloved wouldn't go amiss either, or something more in line with I'll be writing about tomorrow: a central fortress, surrounded by tiny farming hamlets in the caverns. Also, a heavily fortified cliff-face. Always wanted me one of those, though I have no idea how to cause conflict from just that.

Oh wow, goddamn. I just had me a wicked idea for a plot in a coastal fort. If we don't settle for one of those and I can find the time (bahaha, I crack me up), maybe I'll run it solo.

So, in short, the way I see it, we need the following:

• Establish a setting. Do we carry on within the Steelhold world? Keep only its growing mythos? Start anew? Do we establish a direction for a new setting, or let it emerge the way it did in Steelhold?
  • Build the world. Do we stick to vanilla DF? Throw in a few mods to diversify civs, or add references to the Steelhold mythos, if we stick to it?
  • Choose a location. The resources available within an embark can determine the local economy, and the possibilities for the fort's future. Where do we embark? The desert? A forest? A mountain? An ocean, a cliff, a massive river?
  • Find a source of conflict. Conflict is the heart of a good yarn. Where does it come from? Internal schisms only? Internal as well as external? What's the external threat? What's the internal threat? What divides our dwarves? Rich vs Poor? Guards vs Inmates? Communists vs Capitalists? Zealots vs Scientists? Secretive Corporation vs Secretive Corporation? How many of these pile-ups can we get away with? And this says nothing of how much room is left for emerging factions (which should be plenty, as we've seen that it works well).
  • Do we set longterm goals for the fortress? We could be trying to dam a river. Build a surface castle, a shipyard, a giant statue of Armok's wang. A geothermal powerplant. Work on a more practical, long-term project, such as a surface town, or something of little to no practical use, like a temple complex, a fortified wall, or Demongate's schoolhouse? Or even nothing at all. This is Dwarf Fortress, and we are all proven loons. An idea is bound to pop up sooner or later. It's just harder to execute truly massive, long-term projects with yearly succession.

As for Demongate itself. If we can't keep it alive, I suggest we make with the ending. No idea how we can contact Gnorm to get his part of it, though.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 09, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »

Damm I didn't think gnorm would do something like that

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:27 pm »

I... I had something I was going to say, but then I looked up what Meatgod did.

I don't really mind how the new fortress starts. If I'm doing the OP again, I'll just try work what everyone else wants into the world once it's ready and I've checked everything's working properly (especially any mods we want to do). One thing I would like to insist on is having deaths be properly permanent next time around though. I think that if we do include the bloodkin, they should be out of control of the original three for whatever reason.

Also, Rhaken, is it ok if I do Asmoth's death scene? I feel like I should have done more with her over the course of the story and I'd like to give her some development before she gets removed.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: December 09, 2014, 07:59:47 pm »

Also, Rhaken, is it ok if I do Asmoth's death scene? I feel like I should have done more with her over the course of the story and I'd like to give her some development before she gets removed.

Of course. She's yours to control (and terminate).
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: December 09, 2014, 08:02:51 pm »

I think we should do the coastal idea but make it a "New World" setting. Where the dwarf civ's are trying to get as many colonies and land as possible and the other cvs who are native to this new world are trying to kill the settlers. I do not believe there should be any mods except for possibly a enhancement of the elves combat skills. Also we should have no long term goals i think we work best when there is no objective, when we can just write freely. The colony can bring a lot of internal conflict other civs trying to sabotage our colony, people debating in what direction the colony should be taken and debating what we should do about the "Natives" Etc.
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

jrrocks1

• Bay Watcher
  • Armoks Sword in the Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 09, 2014, 08:15:44 pm »

I just read the Meatgod story.................. i don't........I'm just not going to say anything.....
From the forests of Elves, To the shores of Humans, To the Towers of Goblins, We fight our own battles, On land and on Sea, We fight for glory, We fight for gold, We are proud to call ourselves
A Dwarven Viking

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:27 pm »

Now I know I read a watered-down description.
I'll be right back.
EDIT: I need to stop reading creepypastas. I'm horrified, but not cripplingly or significantly so.
Still, that might've been softened by knowing the answer originally...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:36 am »

>I told you all not to read the Meatgod story

I say no direction established for the new fort and just let it evolve.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 10, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »

I agree but there must be a setting.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 11, 2014, 08:57:19 pm »

Okay, so, the save is uploaded to DFFD, though I can't make a link to it right now.

Enjoy.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 11, 2014, 10:15:44 pm »

Okay, so, the save is uploaded to DFFD, though I can't make a link to it right now.

Enjoy.

Link added for those of you who are too lazy to just google it
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 172