Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1191879 times)

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4110 on: December 14, 2015, 04:41:59 pm »

Forgotten blaze and accelerator already?
((It was a fist to chest, but it still counts.))

Arrgh. I don't want to seem to be too much FOR essence keeping, as rule changes are ultimately decided by you guys, and I'd rather not influence that, but both ending up with no essences and having somone with enough essences to snipe people across the map is kinda your own fault. You could had not spent so many before, and you could had killed them before they became global snipers.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:12 pm »

I honestly think the rules are fine as they are. If the guys are so afraid of Magic snipeing make an essence nullifer or something. And it's not like it will stop pepole from makeing "rings of +x stat"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: December 14, 2015, 08:11:02 pm »

See, the problem with the ritual system is that it encourages killing people from across the map, instead of in glorious combat.
It doesn't encourage it, per se; it actually makes it more difficult, since the target might have moved away by the time you've finished your spell. It just makes close-up combat more dangerous for established players.

I honestly think the rules are fine as they are. If the guys are so afraid of Magic snipeing make an essence nullifer or something. And it's not like it will stop pepole from makeing "rings of +x stat"
I—what? An "essence nullifier"? Is that a thing that can be made? While it won't stop people from making +stat rings, those aren't nearly as bad as essences, and can already be made anyway.

Forgotten blaze and accelerator already?
((It was a fist to chest, but it still counts.))

Arrgh. I don't want to seem to be too much FOR essence keeping, as rule changes are ultimately decided by you guys, and I'd rather not influence that, but both ending up with no essences and having somone with enough essences to snipe people across the map is kinda your own fault. You could had not spent so many before, and you could had killed them before they became global snipers.
Problem is, you can't always tell whether someone's going to be a global sniper. They might just be stockpiling essences to build something cool, enchant an item, or whatever. Killing people whenever they go over X essences would require obsessive charsheet-watching, and also be kinda meta and unpleasant.

As for not spending so many before: that's not always possible. Maybe somebody with a bunch of essences picked a fight. Maybe two somebodies picked fights in a row! Also, since you can carry as many essences as you like, it isn't really strategic; maybe if there was a hard  carry cap of 5 essences or so.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:15:32 pm by Elephant Parade »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: December 15, 2015, 07:18:10 am »

Presumably.  We won't know until we try to make one. Think outside the box people. We are mages!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: December 15, 2015, 08:54:15 am »

Well, the thing is, I like direct mage-to-mage fights, and the ritual system discourages that.

Who's to say that the ritual can't track someone? If you had a hair or a nail or something, you could probably make it target wherever the target is.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: December 15, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »

Well, the thing is, I like direct mage-to-mage fights, and the ritual system discourages that.

Who's to say that the ritual can't track someone? If you had a hair or a nail or something, you could probably make it target wherever the target is.
And unless you're very stealthy (or lucky) getting a taglock will instead result in a fight with whoever you were trying to target. Running away would only encourage tracking and bounty hunting.

Though it would be quite hilarious if your supposed "mage X hair" was actually that of a field mouse or other random animal.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:20:37 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: December 15, 2015, 04:41:22 pm »

And unless you're very stealthy (or lucky) getting a taglock will instead result in a fight with whoever you were trying to target. Running away would only encourage tracking and bounty hunting.

Though it would be quite hilarious if your supposed "mage X hair" was actually that of a field mouse or other random animal.
It's not that hard. Marcus left with one of Jase's hairs when he left the castle (I think it was the first time, but I'm not sure). I was going to make Jase constantly look like a clown, no matter what he did, but Dwen made his power-grab and distracted me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:44:55 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: December 16, 2015, 01:50:48 am »

It's not that hard. Marcus left with one of Jase's hairs when he left the castle (I think it was the first time, but I'm not sure). I was going to make Jase constantly look like a clown, no matter what he did, but Dwen made his power-grab and distracted me.
Hahaha, that would've been hilarious. Regardless, if someone is caught in the act (pulled too hard on that rather attached hair, perhaps?)... *one of those cartoon dust cloud fights*

Obviously, part of this would be whether the characters would recognize what in the world this guy is doing hanging behind people's backs all the time. :P

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: December 16, 2015, 12:25:50 pm »

SPD/DEX penalties are winning, I will leave the pool until next turn, although I doubt results will change.

However, is someone thinks up a formula for me to use when calculating how much CMP/POT ritual gets over time, and convinces the rest that the formula is not OP/too weak/nonsensical, I will add rituals.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: December 16, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »

Technically they are tied since a couple people changed their votes and posted about it in thread.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: December 16, 2015, 01:11:40 pm »

SPD/DEX penalties are winning, I will leave the pool until next turn, although I doubt results will change.

However, is someone thinks up a formula for me to use when calculating how much CMP/POT ritual gets over time, and convinces the rest that the formula is not OP/too weak/nonsensical, I will add rituals.
So rituals as a secondary feature? Neat!
Here's something random I thought up (slapped-together concept incoming, use what you like from it):
Spoiler: Ritual mechanics idea (click to show/hide)
Oh, er, before you read this... It's very big and overcomplicated, probably. I don't expect this to be used; the amount of rules here could merit an entire system.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:14:25 pm by thegamemaster1234 »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: December 16, 2015, 01:28:53 pm »

I like it. But I think simple rituals should be preformable without an item

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:53 pm »

That is lots of rules. Dunno if I like too complicated magics. And more rules you add, more things DG has to keep track of. But I agree with few points: Rituals are stationary and cannot be paused. Failure to follow this rule should result uncontrolled magical discharge.

Ritual stability is a thing. Possible to lose but also possible to regain. Lose stability completely and gain explosion of wild magic.

And I don't like mixing essences with rituals.

Hmm, every turn ritual is going on POT roll is added to ritual power. When ritual ends, final tally is multiplied by some number related to ritual duration. Larger multiplier for longer rituals. Each additional caster increases the multiplier, but with diminishing returns. This way more caster means more power faster, but at some point it doesn't make much difference if you have 10 or 50 casters.
I'm playing with the math to see what would work best.

Edit: Numbers grow way too fast. If multiplier is seriously dropped low, then single turn joint casting such as creation of council tower should probably be banned (because that was quite owerpowered even back then).

E2: Maybe power added to ritual each turn diminish as number of casters grows? A*X. A=Total POT added to ritual power on one turn. X = number of casters multiplier. X starts from 1 and gradually gets lower as more casters join.
Hrm... I dunno where this is going...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:35:04 pm by AoshimaMichio »
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: December 16, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »

((I have an idea for a system of ritual.

Since Rituals Are Meant To Take more Time And Preparation, The Shortest Basic Ritual Takes 2 Turns.

In The First Turn, A "Head" Mage states what the spell casted will be in the ritual (This can be public or private).

Once this is done, All Mages Participating in the ritual may choose to sacrifice items, shards, essences, etc. to help power up/ improve the chances of success for the ritual. (This works the same way as when casting quick spells).

Next, a roll is done for Potency and Luck using a D6<0 - 5> (Where the scores of all participating mages are combined)
If Potency on this first turn is 0 or less, the spell fizzles out and dies.

If Potency is greater than 0 but Luck is less than or equal to 0, the ritual collapses and a random magical will effect anyone near the casting site, with power and area effected being dependent on total potency so far.

On the next turn, the "Head" mage decides whether or not to continue the ritual. If he/she decides to halt the ritual, the spell fizzles out and all essences/magic shards/ items used on the ritual are destroyed and the power is lost.

If the "Head" Mage continues the spell, he may decide to declare that this is the final turn for casting the spell.

In every case where the spell continues, the D6 dice from earlier are rolled. If the total amount of Luck and Potency contributed on a given turn (Dice scores + Stuff Sacrificed) is 0 or less, the spell will collapse (Before deciding on collapse spell effect add on any bonuses that would have been counted to the total stats of the spell.)

Assuming that the spell doesn't collapse, add the total amount of bonuses gained on that turn to the spell's total stats.

(The head mage will have speed reduced to 0 while casting for the purpose of interfering mages, but all other participating mages can join or leave the ritual as they please. (although if this is their first time joining a spell, they must get permission from the "Head" mage.)))

((EDIT: I just read the posts above mine and saw that a similar system was proposed))
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:10:04 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: December 16, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »

I just want a system based on creativity rather than pure number management. And I want a simple elegant system rather than an increasing amount of rules patched onto a broken system.
This. I'd move my vote (number restriction) to the ritual system if possible. Althogh essences seem vital, it is possible to discard them...
I have thought it over some more and I hereby change my vote to ritual magic
If you accept these two vote changes, then essences being replaced with ritual magic is winning the poll right now.

For the rituals I think that the simpler the system the better it is, for the most part.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:44:21 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 506