Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Reality, The Universe and the World. Which will save us from AI?

Reality
- 13 (68.4%)
Universe
- 3 (15.8%)
The World
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]

Author Topic: What will save us from AI? Reality, the Universe or The World $ Place your bet.  (Read 25432 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile

stuff like security questions will also be active vulnerabilities.

Wait, people answer those with the actual answers to the questions? I usually answer stuff like "The street you lived on when you were in the 1st grade" with something like "four score and seven years ago".  Basically it's impossible to "learn" the answer to those.

Ah yes, the "Does the black moon howl?" solution.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile

Wait, people answer those with the actual answers to the questions? I usually answer stuff like "The street you lived on when you were in the 1st grade" with something like "four score and seven years ago".  Basically it's impossible to "learn" the answer to those.
Haha, yes. Of course they do. Its the whole reason that those Facebook questionnaires that are designed to steal your info for security question answers even exist.
---
https://openai.com/index/hello-gpt-4o/
it accepts as input any combination of text, audio, image, and video and generates any combination of text, audio, and image outputs.
In actual news, OpenAI has released a new model, GPT-4o, which uses video, text, and image input interchangeably and can talk to you in the real world over your camera. Note that its unique in that its a single AI trained to do all of them, and it doesn't just send parts of the prompt off to another AI, massively decreasing loss.
Feels like its just a few years away from people sticking the AI projection onto VR headsets with the AI having an avatar body on there responding to you and everything that happens.
Big news as it is bringing AI closer and closer to the point where its effortless and normal people will start to use it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrvhmo5LSOQ
The announcement *also* came a few hours before google released news of their own model vision based model. It seems to be similar to o, but slightly inferior. They also had like 5 other AI announcements that are big (eg. their new video gen model to compete with Sora), but again, not actually ahead of OpenAI. OpenAI's skullduggery clearly worked, because I hadn't even heard anything about google's announcements until just now.
---
While the AI system is still in its early days, the AP reported that some versions of the tech are learning so rapidly that they have outperformed pilots in air-to-air combat.
Also a lot of worrying "wait, people are sticking AI in/on weapons" stuff with robodogs with guns attached (not actually new) or how AI fighter pilots are just about as good as humans now. Honestly, I don't think it will take long until its significantly better than humans in actual combat.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile

AI fighter pilots are just about as good as humans now. Honestly, I don't think it will take long until its significantly better than humans in actual combat.

This is inevitable, because AI "pilots" are not limited by G-forces like squishy meatbags. Basically you can make aircraft that perform at materials limits instead of physiological limits, and if you do that you don't even have to be that "good" to outperform a human.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Im willing to bet Air-to-air AI fighters would be easier to program than air-to-ground. Fewer things you have to program the AI to correctly identify. If it can reliably tell the difference between the aircraft you and your allies are using and those of enemies and non-combatants, then militaries might even give it the OK to fire at will at any target it identifies as an enemy aircraft.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

below is a link to a (horrifyingly) well-done nightly news report on the 'Black Mesa Incident,' narrated by Dan Rather

I am seeing this variety of nolstalgia-bait AI more frequently these days. Its obviously fake, doesnt hurt anyone, but it sort of encapsulates the notion of hauntology a bit too well dont you think?

We now have the ability to endlessly recut old famous people into various discernable situations and there is definitely a 'market' for this kind of edit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Im willing to bet Air-to-air AI fighters would be easier to program than air-to-ground. Fewer things you have to program the AI to correctly identify. If it can reliably tell the difference between the aircraft you and your allies are using and those of enemies and non-combatants, then militaries might even give it the OK to fire at will at any target it identifies as an enemy aircraft.

Then the enemy tries to mess with AI and things become messy.

Look at a simple example. Chess engines. They beat humans easily... But what if we change the rules slightly? Human players will adapt instantly and successfully apply all their experience from regular chess. The chess engine needs to be retrained\reprogrammed.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well if you can "tweak" the laws of physics slightly, knock yourself out!

Quote from: obligatory ST:TNG
Q: "Just change the gravitational constant of the universe!"

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, lemme just... wHOA WHOA-
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://xkcd.com/1620/
https://xkcd.com/1763/
https://xkcd.com/2666/

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://xkcd.com/1620/
https://xkcd.com/1763/
https://xkcd.com/2666/

There is one of those for everything, huh?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Eh, maybe not everything, but... webcomics with regular posting that go as long as xkcd has tend to cover a lot of ground. There's others that have one strip or another on a lot of subjects, too. xkcd's just particularly well known, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More seriously, I think if we keep going with LLMs, I think we'll "defeat" them by some form of prompt injection attack. Either we'll distract them, give them a complex, Inception them, or something similar.

Basically, psychologically hack them. After all, that's what happens to humans. There's probably some heuristic like "any intelligence smart enough to be an 'intelligence' is inherently weak to persuasion of some sort or another."
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]