Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any simple mods floating around?  (Read 1553 times)

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any simple mods floating around?
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:11:16 pm »

No offence to the prolific works floating around, I learn much from them. They just try a bit too hard add too many shiny bobbles for my taste. I like intricacy, not brute force complexity. That is a few *masterwork* items I can use in their basic state, or combine and recombine into a rocket ship if I'm bored. Like Legos. They're a child's toy, but if you really want you can build some fantastically awesome things with them.

Where are the simple mods?

---

As a hint, I typically mod in a plant that spits out a metallic thread, but takes almost a year to grow.

I once toyed with making a elemental race playable. Air elemental were easy to kill, but moved very fast. Water that were amphibious. Earth there were slow but hard to kill. Fire that had a nasty (or awesome) habit of lighting stuff on fire.

I almost always mod in hands on some non-dwarf race to play with.

All simple, to the point, but radically change how the game is played.

---

Where are the simple mods?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:15:59 pm by Panthera Leo »

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
Re: Any simple mods floating around?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:30 pm »

I have also had these thoughts but i always come back to the question "What should I start with?" The problem with simple mods is just that
there simple and boring if not used correctly. i mean Its disturbingly easy to add a toy named "Dildo" to the raw files but Whats the point in that?

The problem being is like your lego example: with a couple of legos you can do almost anything, but with just one its the most boring thing in the world.
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:15 am »

I've done a couple of really minor mods. Anything you're looking for in particular?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:43:21 am »

Do you still have those elementals?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:33:15 am »

I've done a couple of really minor mods. Anything you're looking for in particular?

Anything. I was just was wrapping with making cybernetic lions with stylized blades for weapons and "hands" for my next DF run and realized something. There are no simple mods. They're are great mods, but nothing someone's taken the time to make small or put a great deal of detail into.

Lions being a carnivore, I a moded fluffy wamblers into giant balls of muscle (AKA meat) instead of fat, to be farmed like sheep. I called them 'Kibbles'. I decided sheep or cows filled that roll already, and deleted them. I created flying spheres of death to kill vermin (and domestic cats), but decided the peregrine falcon filled that roll; So, I deleted it. I created crystalline pets that could be "sheered" or killed for a special corpse resources, but decided a plant that grew metal thread was far simpler. So I deleted the crystal pets.

Every mod I find is a massive behemoths, or utility things. I'm "looking" for something small that someone has spent time detailing.

Do you still have those elementals?

Sadly, no. I did say I just toyed with the idea. I never actually got around to making it work the way I wanted it. If you like the idea feel free to run with it. I was basically preforming profane dark arks on the bronze colossus and magma men raws. That and toying with what happens when I set tissue absorptions values between 0-100. Besides, I every new release of DF I toss everything out and start over.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:48:14 am by Panthera Leo »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:37:47 am »

Ah. I mostly just add weapon, armor, and metal types. Well, that, and the ability to turn oil into coke.

Maybe you should look at the modding thread?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 02:13:49 am »

I've peeked in on the mod threads over the years. They are what got me to register on this forum. Always great reads. ^.^ Almost without fail there is something new to learn.

Those are more of fragments then complete ideas though.  :'( They are simple, but they're still forming.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:10:30 am »

There are plenty of simple mods out there, buried beneath the threads of the modding forum.
The early pony mods for example are really just ponified and simplified versions of vanilla DF, but then, you don't want ponies, no one wants ponies, those are only for the handful of really sick sadists who circle around those threads like vultures, such as myself.

A simple mod I can point you to is jangalurs, "A Little Bit More Mod".
A week or so ago he came by with a simple mod he did asking for help in testing it, in his mod he replaced dwarves with molefolk (pretty much play and act identical to dwarves with a few very minor differences), his mod seems to focus mainly on the addition of more growable plants.
Maybe it's a bit too simple for you, but you could always take his mod and build out from there, there is nothing stopping you from jacking someone elses mod and making your own private version of it.
Here is a link to the thread if you are interested in checking it out.

Aside from that you'll just have to look around, they are there if you look hard enough for them.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 09:16:08 am »

Anything. I was just was wrapping with making cybernetic lions with stylized blades for weapons and "hands" for my next DF run and realized something. There are no simple mods. They're are great mods, but nothing someone's taken the time to make small or put a great deal of detail into.
You did not search then. There's a lot of good mods with a great deal of detail.
And simple mods are here, but they drown, because anyone can make a simple mod, so there's not much public interest.

but nothing someone's taken the time to ... put a great deal of detail into.
I think you just offended half of the modding community :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »

Here might be a good place to start.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 04:01:08 pm »

Off topic, but everyone I've ever met here in merry old England has referred to the plural of lego as just lego. Like, 'A box of lego'.

That aside,
Code: [Select]
[PLANT:ROOT_CAVERN]
[NAME:cavern root][NAME_PLURAL:cavern roots][ADJ:cavern root]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:232][PICKED_COLOR:6:0:1]
[VALUE:5]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen dwarven gin]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:dwarven gin]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling dwarven gin]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[SEED:cavern root bulb:cavern root bulbs:6:0:0:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[WINTER][AUTUMN]
[FREQUENCY:80]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:earthen fragance]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[SHRUB_TILE:58]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:58]
[SHRUB_COLOR:5:0:1]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]

There's a simple mod for you :P
Adds a single plant, the cavern root. More valuable cooked than brewed. Grows in winter as well, so provides an alternative to dimpel cups or plump helmets (Or surface plants).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 05:22:35 pm »

I see no reason to remove anything from the game, even if you add something new. Add a new predator? No reason to remove one. It's not take a predator, leave a predator. :3

I added a cool, powerful non-weapon using race (and I'm still making sure their positions work properly) and throwing lots of detail in on (right down to facial frills that can be in different lengths) but really, it's a pretty simple mod in that you can just throw it right into your game without it causing any problems. (Well, I never bothered to make new entity or creature files simply for them, so they are still in creature_standard but it shouldn't be hard to move them)
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »

I made a bloodwine mod and a wood lamination mod.
The bloodwine mod lets you make alcohol from blood (like the traders bring in barrels) or from blood extracted from meat or bodyparts.
The wood lamination mod lets you breakdown wooden stuff you don't need and glue it back together to make logs.
I made it after I kept running out of wood while making windmills.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:32 am »

Thank you for the information. :) (Sorry for the delay, yesterday was busy.)

I can remember a few good ones. I archive them. ^.^ (mostly for study though.) I don't troll the forums and DFF doesn't list that many simple things.

I think you just offended half of the modding community :).

Only half? Sorry about that, I'll have to aim for the whole forum next time. :P Seriously, sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

And simple mods are here, but they drown, because anyone can make a simple mod, so there's not much public interest.

My evil master plan goes unnoticed then? :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:38:53 am by Panthera Leo »

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:51 am »

Ick, double post.

I see no reason to remove anything from the game, even if you add something new. Add a new predator? No reason to remove one. It's not take a predator, leave a predator. :3

Ok, I admit it  :'( , I can be elitist.

One the one hand what I create is never 'finished' until I've detailed it's whiskers and hair with engravings at least mentally. So, they're always something I'm happy to have made. On the other? Something new to explore is finite for me. Once you've explored it, it's just a fond memory. If you want to keep finding or making new that's to explore? It's a cool talent. :) Something new to explore with is not so finite for me. I always want what I make to be clearly useful in some way instead of some new rose to smell and move on. >.>

Like I said, I know there are great mods out there. I should add that are made by some really neat people. They're just not what I look for. :P

I like detail, but I have a short attention span. :P That's why I tossed out the Kibbles, and The Sphere'o'Death. They were cool and added flavour, but didn't really do much for my Mod of the Month. They were just a different colour of tools already present.