Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638]

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 689160 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #9555 on: June 04, 2024, 02:34:00 am »

Floppies are easy to get I find them at thrift stores every now and then, I keep a bunch of them on hand because I have a camera that uses them as film.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9556 on: June 04, 2024, 08:00:06 am »

m is for meters.
mm is for milimiters.
mi is for miles. Or... some savage lawless place deep in the heart of the American continent, a place where the holy light of the metric system doesn't shine, probably uses m for miles.

m it works in the context of money or (to a lesser extent) other unitless objects. $100m would clearly refer to 100 million dollars, and if someone had 1m apples I would assume that meant they had a million of them.
Quote from: Wikipedia
1,000,000 (one million), or one thousand thousand, is the natural number following 999,999 and preceding 1,000,001. The word is derived from the early Italian millione (milione in modern Italian), from mille, "thousand", plus the augmentative suffix -one.[1]

It is commonly abbreviated:

in British English as m[2][3][4] (not to be confused with the metric prefix "m" milli, for 10−3, or with metre),
M,[5][6]
MM ("thousand thousands", from Latin "Mille"; not to be confused with the Roman numeral MM = 2,000),
mm (not to be confused with millimetre), or
mn, mln, or mio can be found in financial contexts.[7][8]
Wait what? what kind of savage uses mm for million?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9557 on: June 04, 2024, 11:53:08 am »

m is for meters.
mm is for milimiters.
mi is for miles. Or... some savage lawless place deep in the heart of the American continent, a place where the holy light of the metric system doesn't shine, probably uses m for miles.

m it works in the context of money or (to a lesser extent) other unitless objects. $100m would clearly refer to 100 million dollars, and if someone had 1m apples I would assume that meant they had a million of them.
Quote from: Wikipedia
1,000,000 (one million), or one thousand thousand, is the natural number following 999,999 and preceding 1,000,001. The word is derived from the early Italian millione (milione in modern Italian), from mille, "thousand", plus the augmentative suffix -one.[1]

It is commonly abbreviated:

in British English as m[2][3][4] (not to be confused with the metric prefix "m" milli, for 10−3, or with metre),
M,[5][6]
MM ("thousand thousands", from Latin "Mille"; not to be confused with the Roman numeral MM = 2,000),
mm (not to be confused with millimetre), or
mn, mln, or mio can be found in financial contexts.[7][8]
Wait what? what kind of savage uses mm for million?
mm is the plural of million, just as pp is the plural of page.

Also, the metric system sucks and only losers use it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9558 on: June 05, 2024, 04:35:27 am »

Yeah screw the decimal system what idiots count anyway. Let divisions by 3 yield an integer so we get to write all the normal gauges in fractions, mission failed succesfully.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2024, 04:46:50 am by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9559 on: June 05, 2024, 05:21:56 pm »

Base 12 for the win!

(60 is better, because you get 5 back, but unwieldy to count on body parts, and keeping track of that many unique symbols is annoying).

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9560 on: June 08, 2024, 06:20:10 pm »

Statute of limitations?

Anyway, question: if you know the contents of an encrypted file, like if you got hacked but know what one of the files contained before it was encrypted, does that not let you determine the key to potentially encrypt other files? Or is ransomware smart enough to use a different key per file?  Or does knowing the true contents not help get the key anyway?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9561 on: June 08, 2024, 07:51:30 pm »

Hm sounds logical. I suppose you'd have do get extremly data sciency about it. Forget about extracting it, how do you even know what block it was written to? Huh, could one prepare for the day somebody tries a ransomware, find the key oneself?
let
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 [638]