Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You want me to kill WHAT?  (Read 1902 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
You want me to kill WHAT?
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:11 pm »

So I was wandering around with my 7+ shields legendary wrestler human hammerman (with an exceptional iron maul, decorated with superior-quality donkey bone), when I decided to give a little direction to my life and become a mercenary.

I hop on over to one of the few villages that won't attack me on sight, and asked the friendly mayor/pikeman if he had any delightful tasks for me.

That's when he said this:

Okay, so...  You're being tormented by a child...  A human child, right?  I didn't just mishear you mention a dragon hatchling or a young titan or something?  Huh.  Alright then, guess I'll be off...  Back in a tic.

Sure enough, after wandering around the city of Hollowhomes for a while, I happen upon the child who is cowering in his home.  I smear his entrails across the walls and go back for my pat on the back.

Later, I checked the legends screen to see what atrocities this kid had committed.  After a bit of investigation, it appeared that his only infraction was being born.

Was I just used for a terrorist attack?  If so, I daresay it worked...  Half the population up and left after that killing spree was over.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You want me to kill WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 04:07:32 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where adventurers are used to kill the civ leader's grudge's kid.
You may now proceed to take the child's corpse and sacrifice it to Armok.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:10:40 pm »

You've killed a kid who did nothing. This is just another day here.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:14:59 pm »

Funny that I'm only now being welcomed to DF, after 2 years+ of being here...

It just seems strange to me that this kid was selected as an evil aggressor against their civilization who needed to be brought down...  They could have picked some war criminal who had slain many of their brave soldiers in horrifyingly grotesque ways, but this was just some random kid.  His dad was a farmer (I ended up killing him while looking around town for the kid) and his mom was a weaver or something.  Nobody had anything to do with the other civ.

Heck, my next task actually made more sense.  I was ordered to hunt down and slay an elven recruit of the same civ (the elves no longer exist as their own society on this map, they've been utterly conquered by the humans).  Sure, he was just a recruit, but there was at least a chance that he'd been in a war and killed someone important...

Ah well.  I'd already killed the important people in Hollowhomes before looking for a job, so I guess they just didn't have anyone else for me to go after.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 04:20:32 pm »

You're seeking sense.
In Dwarf Fortress.
This is why I welcomed you. You certainly aren't here for long enough to know how it really works.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:48:21 pm »

Considering the village elder usually wants you to kill Anthrax the Boldening Climax of Chewing the Cyclops, this really is a bit strange.

I only wish they would give me easy quests like this.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 05:59:14 pm »

Well, y'know, I've been sent to kill maimed dogs, and horses. So that's not so strange.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »

Well, y'know, I've been sent to kill maimed dogs, and horses. So that's not so strange.

In that case, you're just putting a lame animal out of its misery.

This kid, you sure he didn't steal candy or something? Maybe the village leader owes child support to his mother or something, who knows?

And pikeman? He's an axe lord.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:41:46 pm »

And pikeman? He's an axe lord.

I wasn't really paying attention...  I remember running into some pikeman or another down the line, must've gotten them mixed up.

But I feel better now that you've corrected me incorrectly.  He's a hammer lord.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41:45 am »

You should kill this man for ordering to get you to kill a child.  He's obviously a psycho.  You might have found the DF equivalent of Hitler or something.
Though I guess you were the one who did the murdering...  hmm...
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 04:46:00 am »

Maybe that boy was The Seeker (TM)?
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 04:48:47 pm »

You should kill this man for ordering to get you to kill a child.  He's obviously a psycho.  You might have found the DF equivalent of Hitler or something.
Though I guess you were the one who did the murdering...  hmm...

A nice dilemma;

Who's the one bearing the guilt;

The assassin, or the one who ordered someone to be assassinated?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:16:16 pm »

It is time to become a noir adventurer, walking through the dark fortress streets as the rain pours down on your pigtail hat, pondering morality, decay, and constantly wondering if you did the right thing, killing a child for the corrupt fatcat who managed to muscle himself to the top of the garbage pile.  Then, after drinking away your sorrows, take on the one final job that will get you access to the hammerlord, bypassing his hired goons.  Finally, corner him on the temple rooftop during a storm, having destroyed his empire in your blind and questionable quest for justice.  His weapon shattered, he taunts you, asking for  you to kill him, saying that you have become like him, and that he is proud of you, his surrogate son.  You raise your weapon, and then turn away, walking slowly from the once great man.

"You're not worth the +lead crossbow bolt+", you mutter, dissappearing into the night.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:01 am »

i will just kill him on sight

wait , ain't we all sadists?

Legendary_Catsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 11:05:09 am »

This child was quite obviously the mayor's illegitemate love-baby.
You were just used to ice the kid so the mayor can ascend to a higher office one day.

How does it feel to be the scum of the earth?  ;D