Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999398 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2012, 10:37:19 pm »

I think he wants to know whether any non-mineral stones have specialized uses, and how to make sure he doesn't lose any items as a result. Off the top of my head, Kaolinite is just a regular stone I think, but is used to make porcelain. Gypsum is used for Plaster, and I think Alabaster is too. No, I don't have any clue how I'd make those things exist.

I think I'll take a break from modding for the night, as I still haven't figured out my previous problem. Stupid bloody interactions...

EDIT: NINJA!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 18, 2012, 12:17:37 am »

Kobold necromancers. How do I make this so? (Not just the raising dead; the towers and sieges and everything.)

Also, is there a way to make reactions shoot actual items instead of just LIQUID_GLOB, SOLID_GLOB, fireballs or dust? I am trying to build turrets that can shoot bolt-like items (or maybe serrated discs) as opposed to just chunks of stone/metal.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 18, 2012, 02:24:43 am »

I found that if you attempt to apply several shape changes to a creature before the first has expired, that the second change won't take effect until the first has worn off. If you turn from a dwarf into a dog with a duration of 5, and then attempt to turn from a dog into a parrot with a duration of 100, you won't change immediately into a parrot, but will change from the dog to the parrot after the dog's duration is up.

BlueAnchorite

• Bay Watcher
  • Cacame! Cacame! Cacame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 18, 2012, 02:29:35 am »

Just wanting to ask this again,
Been wanting to try modding DF for a while, and now that the new release is here with the new powers, decided to jump in :P
So, question time,
Has anyone played around with new books, such as replacing things like [IS_SPHERE:DEATH], or [IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]?
And also adding new powers that can be gained by reading?
These are my main questions, however, is it possible to add new skills in adventure mode to base off what can be used for powers (ie something like mana as an example, just as a limiting quantity)
Hope that all makes sense, as this is new to me.
it's better than the avatar I made for you   
Very true. This one does not make Jesus cry.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 18, 2012, 03:48:01 am »

[CE:CREATURE:WEREPYRE:DEFAULT]

Is the werepyre a casteless creature? Only thing that sticks out to me.

Yeah, it's casteless. The game throws a fit and errorlog mentions if you have a werecreature with caste mentions, actually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's the critter raws in case they offer any new insight about an obvious mistake I've done and failed to notice.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 18, 2012, 04:25:35 am »

Three quick questions;

1. Reading through these posts it seems that it is not possible to change a dwarf into a human, but changing castes work fine correct?

2. Along the same lines, is it possible to change dwarves into other creatures that aren't sentient? (Changing a dwarf into a pet for instance)

3. Completely different. Is there a way to test reactions from Fortress Mode in Arena?

LostCosmonaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 18, 2012, 04:27:02 am »

Well... turns out Werebeasts use NIGHT_CREATURE_X for their naming convention. That's interesting. But at least I made an instant were-something spell that works!

Sorry to drag back something from a while back, but would you mind posting how you did this? I'm trying to do something similar, and I'm stuck with where to go after getting the interactions out of the save file.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 18, 2012, 04:34:36 am »

Three quick questions;

1. Reading through these posts it seems that it is not possible to change a dwarf into a human, but changing castes work fine correct?

2. Along the same lines, is it possible to change dwarves into other creatures that aren't sentient? (Changing a dwarf into a pet for instance)

3. Completely different. Is there a way to test reactions from Fortress Mode in Arena?

1. Yes and no.  You can change them into humans, but they don't work properly in fortress mode.  Changing them into other castes of dwarves works fine, however.

2. Yes.

3. No.  Try creating a custom building with a "free" reaction to produce the product you want immediately after embark, for test purposes.  Remember to bring whatever build materials you specify, and remember to add both building and reaction to entity_default permissions.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 18, 2012, 04:37:55 am »

Three quick questions;

1. Yes and no.  You can change them into humans, but they don't work properly in fortress mode.  Changing them into other castes of dwarves works fine, however.

2. Yes.

3. No.  Try creating a custom building with a "free" reaction to produce the product you want immediately after embark, for test purposes.  Remember to bring whatever build materials you specify, and remember to add both building and reaction to entity_default permissions.

Thanks narhiril. One last question;

Does setting POP_RATIO to 0 actually give 0 (meaning you will never see them) or can you still sometimes get them from migrant waves or births?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 18, 2012, 04:38:17 am »

[CE:CREATURE:WEREPYRE:DEFAULT]

Is the werepyre a casteless creature? Only thing that sticks out to me.

Yeah, it's casteless. The game throws a fit and errorlog mentions if you have a werecreature with caste mentions, actually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's the critter raws in case they offer any new insight about an obvious mistake I've done and failed to notice.

A quick hackfix to stop the error spam is just adding an empty caste in the creature, then assigning that caste name in place of the DEFAULT at the polymorph parts. That should keep things from screaming at you.

I like keeping things clean though, so I add [SELECT_CASTE:ALL] after that, even if unnecessary.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:43:12 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 18, 2012, 04:42:47 am »

Thanks narhiril. One last question;

Does setting POP_RATIO to 0 actually give 0 (meaning you will never see them) or can you still sometimes get them from migrant waves or births?

You won't get them from births.  Not sure about migrant waves, but I haven't seen one show up yet.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2012, 04:52:15 am »

So, search fu failed me. the ART_FACET_MODIFIER and related tags take a numeric argument.

Lower --> Higher  is  More Common --> Rarer

What do the values correspond to?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2012, 04:55:24 am »

Looking at [IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:WERECURSE]

...can we define our own Syndrom Classes somehow? Or do our syndromes have to conform to a list someplace?

I got an error message from attempting that, so I think not.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 18, 2012, 08:47:50 am »

Okay so I found out what was causing the converted creature to crash DF.
It was because of the hair and eye color definitions. With those out, the converted critter can be viewed perfectly fine.

Any idea why that happens? I noticed some guy had a werewolf transform interaction with hair, skin and eye color definitions in the creature part, and I assume they don't have sudden crash issues with their code.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 18, 2012, 08:51:29 am »

Three quick questions;

Let's see how dfusion copes with #1 (I assume this isn't updated yet, i'm playing without any tools), non-main species civ members always get treated like animals / can't work.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 544