Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999409 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #720 on: February 29, 2012, 10:02:17 pm »

We have the [STERILE] tag now, though, so that could help.

What's the point of a STERILE tag, though? You can already make castes genderless, so I'm a little confused.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #721 on: February 29, 2012, 10:04:53 pm »

@G-FLEX
I am doing tests of Pets to Dwarf (main race caste) and it is going well. I have almost got it done %100 what do you want to know?

Well, it seems that unintelligent castes will still take up jobs during worldgen, which is unfortunate.
My other questions:
  • Will unintelligent castes get married?
  • Can unintelligent castes with [PET] be kept as pets by the intelligent caste?
  • Will unintelligent castes perform the sort of labors children do (like harvesting and deconstruction), and can they be assigned labors?
  • Can unintelligent castes be butchered by the intelligent caste during play?

That's it, as far as I can think of at the moment.

1. I believe [CAN_SPEAK] is needed for mariage, this question I am uncertain of
2. an unintelligent caste with pet would simply be a stupid caste with a "stray [creature] (tame)" and since it counts as the MAIN RACE no pet ownership would be made (altho I wounder what happens if you have [ADOPTS_OWNER] on the unintelligent caste...)
3. Yes they will be able to do labor, but lacking the [INTELLIGENT] (CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK in one) they will not learn skills thus, making them only useful for:
-Deconstuction (like you mentioned)
-Construction (micro-manage workshops to only allow NOVICE and up skilled workers)
-Harvesting (not good since they will always pick a single stack of the plant)
-Hauling
4. Yes unintelligent castes with [PET] can be butchered, but will not be eaten/used (unless the ethics say its cool) since they count as the MAIN RACE

My tests involve taking a PET like a Dog and giving it a CASTE that is intelligent and lacking the PET tag which transforms into a dwarf. And this dwarf with some training can join the army (the is some work to do this but I found out 3 ways to do this) and all labors can be assigned.

@Old Greg
Yea "thatkid"s answer looks promising, I had mentioned that before hadn't I?
perhaps you need to make a "fake" target? that maybe does something that is not really noticeable for like 1 tick.
I guess it was very vague I should have said "fake" target aims at the enemy without doing anything.

@Flying Dice
[CREATURE:wESTERLING]
DF is Case senstive so
[CREATURE:WESTERLING]
might do it... have you checked the error log?
P.S. still looking at the entity

@G-Flex (again)
STERILE is something so you can still have a MALE but cannot breed. say you made a vampire syndrom but you wanted the victum to retain their gender but stop breeding the add STERILE

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 29, 2012, 10:05:48 pm »

What's the point of a STERILE tag, though? You can already make castes genderless, so I'm a little confused.

Having gendered pronouns, I guess. It might not even be an actual creature token, I think it's just used in interactions in vanilla. I'm not sure if genderless castes will marry at all, actually, so what I said earlier may not apply.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:52 pm »

@Flying Dice
DF is Case senstive so

Yep, that was it. Totally called it, by the way: stupid, obvious issue that I should have noticed. I'll consider it notice that my vision has gone even farther to shit and I should get new glasses.

Thanks.  :)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:42 pm »

@Flying Dice
DF is Case senstive so

Yep, that was it. Totally called it, by the way: stupid, obvious issue that I should have noticed. I'll consider it notice that my vision has gone even farther to shit and I should get new glasses.

Thanks.  :)
No problem also my vision is shit aswell, I've needed glasses for years. But im too broke to buy some glasses :/ I think I just need them for reading (and far sight reading)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 29, 2012, 10:57:28 pm »

Good news! I got an Evolution mechanic up based on thatkid's model!

Bad news! I seem to be giving the ability to evolve to my foes as well, and I'm not sure why it is happening.

Spoiler: The Interactions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Creature (click to show/hide)

The real humdinger is that I can't replicate what is happening by taking control of the Pokemon personally. It only happens if I let the mon go nuts on a chinchilla or whatever- suddenly there's 2 squirtles fighting. I suspect it has something to do with the lack of TARGET:SELF_ONLY, but when I add [CDI:TARGET:B:SELF_ONLY] to EVOLVE_FINAL the mon is perfectly willing to use EVOLVE_FINAL, but never uses EVOLVE.

This could be problematic since the same thing might be happening with my Leech Seed interaction and I hadn't noticed it before since that is just a status effect thing.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 29, 2012, 11:39:35 pm »

Good news! I got an Evolution mechanic up based on thatkid's model!

Bad news! I seem to be giving the ability to evolve to my foes as well, and I'm not sure why it is happening.

The real humdinger is that I can't replicate what is happening by taking control of the Pokemon personally. It only happens if I let the mon go nuts on a chinchilla or whatever- suddenly there's 2 squirtles fighting. I suspect it has something to do with the lack of TARGET:SELF_ONLY, but when I add [CDI:TARGET:B:SELF_ONLY] to EVOLVE_FINAL the mon is perfectly willing to use EVOLVE_FINAL, but never uses EVOLVE.

This could be problematic since the same thing might be happening with my Leech Seed interaction and I hadn't noticed it before since that is just a status effect thing.
I'm not good enough to understand how your evolution works at all, but I do see that it gives you the ability to evolve to the next level in the same reaction, if you had to target an enemy to get your pokemon to use the ability, it's probably giving the ability to the enemy as well.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:26 pm »

It shouldn't, though, because the effect only targets "B"
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Tyman2007

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 29, 2012, 11:52:05 pm »

Sorry to interrupt, but I am a noob at modding DF. So.. My question is, how do I add in categories into workshops? Like how, say, the metalsmith forge has a bunch of categories. How would I go about doing that?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 29, 2012, 11:58:38 pm »

I just tried giving a dummy effect that happens to TARGET:A, on the off chance it was a case that the lack of a explicitly defined effect that was causing it. No dice. I also tried giving TARGET:B a range of 0, but in that case the AI just wouldn't use it, same as if I'd given it TARGET:SELF_ONLY

What steams me is that if I put a Pokemon up against a Roc and take control of the Roc, the Pokemon gives me the Evolve interaction. If I take control of the Pokemon, however, I can't for the life of me figure out how to give the Roc the Evolve interaction- I can only affect myself. Since I don't know how the AI is doing it, I can't figure out how to stop it.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 01, 2012, 02:33:58 am »

try that

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 01, 2012, 02:48:36 am »

Sorry to interrupt, but I am a noob at modding DF. So.. My question is, how do I add in categories into workshops? Like how, say, the metalsmith forge has a bunch of categories. How would I go about doing that?
Sadly, it is impossible.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 01, 2012, 04:51:49 am »

@G-FLEX
I am doing tests of Pets to Dwarf (main race caste) and it is going well. I have almost got it done %100 what do you want to know?

Well, it seems that unintelligent castes will still take up jobs during worldgen, which is unfortunate.
My other questions:
  • Will unintelligent castes perform the sort of labors children do (like harvesting and deconstruction), and can they be assigned labors?
I've also done some research in this thread. It can be somewhat informative.
From my latest researches I can say:
1. I have seen a free dwarf list [pet] one as lover, I hadn't play long enough but I guess they'd marry someday.
2. Honestly I don't know.
3. They're basically peasants, if my memory serves me, [pet] disables labor menu.
Also, they don't need to be able to speak in order to get friends, just being there is enough. I once had butchered one of two unintelligent drones who used to hang out together and second one went melancholy.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:53 am »

@G-FLEX

My other questions:
I've also done some research in this thread. It can be somewhat informative.
From my latest researches I can say:
1. I have seen a free dwarf list [pet] one as lover, I hadn't play long enough but I guess they'd marry someday.
2. Honestly I don't know.
3. They're basically peasants, if my memory serves me, [pet] disables labor menu.
Also, they don't need to be able to speak in order to get friends, just being there is enough. I once had butchered one of two unintelligent drones who used to hang out together and second one went melancholy.
Damn how did I miss this research it would have made This slightly easier

so:

Quote from: Di's Research Summary
[pet] - makes creature show up on animals z-list, allows premarital impregnation and trading creatures.
Creature without [can_learn] and [can_speak] tags is simply friendly unit contributing only to breeding. You can assign rooms to any creature of the main race, creatures will develop relationships to any members of their race even not speaking ones.
[can_learn] - allows drafting and nobling provided you have someone who [can_speak] in your civ.
[can_speak] - enables labor menu. You can't view nobles mandates if he cannot speak.

If I had an INTELLIGENT, PET, female she would be like every other dwarf. only she would give birth normally without mariage?
Now what happens if you make a normal Female dwarf transform into the PET caste? Would this freedom of breeding get applied
and ignore the fact that she is/was married?

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:04 am »

A question, is there any way to increase somethings speed yet have it still "move" at a slowed pace, I want to do this so I can make an interaction to increase a creatures rate of fire with ranged weapons without making them run circles around things.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 544