Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999547 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1275 on: April 08, 2012, 11:29:48 am »

...cut + paste one creature to another file outside the RAWs?

That's... actually given me a pretty decent idea. Thanks! (A little more complicated, since I'll be doing it programmatically, but that's water under the bridge!)

You are doing it with a program? Then it's easy.

Let's say you have [CREATURE:MONSTER], and you want to toggle it with a program.

Write it like this:
Code: [Select]
TOGGLEOPTION01[CREATURE:MONSTER]
    TOGGLEOPTION01[NAME:monster:monsters:monster]
    TOGGLEOPTION01[CASTE_NAME:monster:monsters:monster]
    TOGGLEOPTION01[CREATURE_TILE:'m']
    TOGGLEOPTION01[COLOR:7:0:1]

Basically add "TOGGLEOPTION01" before every token of the creature.
Then just rename "TOGGLEOPTION01[" to "TOGGLEOPTION01!", it will remove all first brackets from that creature tokens and remove it.

But it's easier to make toggle-able options for groups of creatures and put them in separate files, and then just make "TOGGLEFILE1[OBJECT:CREATURE]". and thus you could toggle the contents of the whole file off.

You can do the same with strings inside of entity files (toggling clothing, toys, weapons, armor etc.) as well as make options which exclude each other.

Example:
EXOPTION1[NAME:monster1:monster1s:monster1]
EXOPTION2!NAME:monster2:monster2s:monster2]
And then you rename "EXOPTION1[" to "EXOPTION1!" and at the same time "EXOPTION2!" to "EXOPTION2[". Voila, toggle.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:32:00 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 08, 2012, 11:21:06 pm »

How can I turn off cutting of stones that are not gems in the jeweler's workshop?  I tried deleting the STONE SHAPE tags from default_entities.txt under MOUNTAIN / DWARF to no avail.

Which raws did you edit? The ones in a certain region folder, or the ones outside them in the main /raw folder?

It doesn't matter--entity changes ALWAYS require a regen.

I edited the raws in the main program /raw folder, not any region.  I also then generated a new world and just prepared carefully with a gem cutter / setter, some stones and some cut gems.  I immediately built a jeweler's workshop and could cut the other stones I brought.  After reading your question, I verified that the region entity raw also does not have the stone shape tags.

All I did was to comment out and then delete entirely the stone shape tags near the gem shape tags in the mountain / dwarf part.

I suspect I need to do more editing, but I've no clue where to do it now.  This is my first time editing raws, so thank you for patiently asking me for clarifications.

"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 09, 2012, 05:31:53 am »

Hello, I have this issue with dragons in worldgen that they keep dying all the time. How can I make them more.. common, I guess. I need a couple to start some.. experiments.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 09, 2012, 11:10:33 am »

So far as I can tell, worldgen likes to have a diversity of megabeasts, and will tend to get one of each before doubling up (then again, I might just be incorrectly interpreting randomness as a pattern). Try genning larger worlds, and only letting it run for a few years so they don't die. Also, allow more megabeast lairs in the advanced parameters of worldgen; you can go to town on that number, it will rarely cause any rejections.

On a more mod-y angle, you can try increasing their frequency (I honestly don't know what this will do, but it can't hurt), deleting other megabeasts from the raws so there's less competition for lairs, and/or making them semimegabeasts instead of megabeasts.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:21:05 am by Old Greg »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 09, 2012, 11:28:54 am »

I find that larger worlds helps a lot in getting megabeasts to survive. Having all of the extra space gives much less chance that a megabeast is sought out and killed, and even then you still usually have a few lurking in inaccessible caves. I've always generated large world and even in 500 year worlds I've never had a megabeast type go extinct.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 09, 2012, 12:11:44 pm »

Does anyone know how the VARIABLE_POSITIONS entity tag works?  On the wiki it states the argument(s) are responsibilities, and I'd like to make a civ with mostly predefined positions, but with a few crazy ones thrown in for "religious and social" type responsibilities. 

To be more precise, neither of the following cause any errorlog text to be generated, but I'm getting semi-frequent crashes in worldgen (about half the small worlds I generate seem to crash with either of these included):
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:MEET_WORKERS]
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:MANAGE_PRODUCTION]
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT]
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS]
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:RELIGION]
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:BUILD_MORALE]
[VARIABLE_POSITIONS:MEET_WORKERS:MANAGE_PRODUCTION:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT:ESTABLISH_COLONY_TRADE_AGREEMENTS:RELIGION:BUILD_MORALE]
I've only ever seen examples of ALL being used as the only argument, but the wiki seems to suggest something like this is possible.

edit: also, how does one change the default "lords/ladies" that appear in keeps to a custom position?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:17:16 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 10, 2012, 01:14:12 am »

So earlier a very intriguing question crossed my mind: Would it be plausible to have a creature's description be based on what materials it was made out of? For example creature 1 was built from a dolomite left leg, a platinum torso, a gold right leg, a obsidian left and right arm, and a ruby head while creature 2 was built from a granite head, torso, right leg, right arm, left leg, and a copper left arm.

Also, how does mineral layer, stone layer, and such work?
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 10, 2012, 01:57:18 am »

for my dragon fix I increased the clutch size for their eggs, they have more offspring now.
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 10, 2012, 10:22:15 am »

So earlier a very intriguing question crossed my mind: Would it be plausible to have a creature's description be based on what materials it was made out of? For example creature 1 was built from a dolomite left leg, a platinum torso, a gold right leg, a obsidian left and right arm, and a ruby head while creature 2 was built from a granite head, torso, right leg, right arm, left leg, and a copper left arm.

Also, how does mineral layer, stone layer, and such work?

The bodypart descriptors (as far as I know) go on the shape/colour "hints" in that same section, for example, dwarf hair has :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As far as I'm aware, there is nothing available to link that system to what material the bodypart is made of, because the color-setting features assume that your creature is made of materials which are recolored to fit the creature (like purple feathers).  I don't think it is possible (but I'd be happy for someone to prove me wrong).
where is up?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 10, 2012, 10:34:45 am »

Do you know what is the [SPECIAL] token for?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 10, 2012, 03:38:28 pm »

Do you know what is the [SPECIAL] token for?

Could you please be more specific? That token doesn't exist in any of the raws that ship with the game, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. As far as I can tell, [SPECIAL] doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:41:10 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 11, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »

It's in every material for the new clouds and rains.

I wonder what it does (it's a valid token).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 11, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »

Answering my own question: it makes the material unavaliable to civilizations EVEN IF THEY CAN MAKE IT VIA REACTIONS!

Finally! We can mod in advanced alloys which won't randomly appear on the embark screen, so the RESEARCH and DEVELOPMENT system is viable now.

It's basically like DEEP_SPECIAL, just without DEEP, so it does not appear in the HFS but is still unavaliable.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 11, 2012, 06:27:32 pm »

A wild guess: it may make it so that the material never shows up in the economic stone screen.

Pre-post edit: So much for that, seems you already figured it out.

Does anyone know how the VARIABLE_POSITIONS entity tag works?  On the wiki it states the argument(s) are responsibilities, and I'd like to make a civ with mostly predefined positions, but with a few crazy ones thrown in for "religious and social" type responsibilities.

VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL draws from a list of hardcoded nobles for the civilization to use. Examples are the lords and ladies that you mentioned, along with law-givers, war leaders, etc. I think it may also allow a bit of dynamic appointment/creation of new positions1 by significant leaders during world generation: occasionally, you'll see things like "In the midspring of X, So-And-So created the position of y, pushed by a wave of popular support." I've only ever seen it happen with the position of war leader - I guess if a civilization is getting severely messed up by wars, a leader will create new military positions.

1 To clarify: I don't mean that all new procedurally generated positions will be created, it seems to draw from the same list as the rest of VARIABLE_POSITIONS:ALL.

I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:47 pm »

That's fantastically useful! I'll be making good use of that.

I remember that BABYSNATCHER makes civs automatically hostile to you. Just to double-check, is this true for ITEM_THIEF as well?
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 544