Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 544

Author Topic: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 999477 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: [MODDING] 0.34. QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #7320 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:55 pm »

The thing is that I'm working with guns right now, and I want to have bayonet-adding reactions. So, the two reagents are the gun and the bayonet, and I want the bayonet's material to match the gun.

That makes sense there, I try to make it so my guns are always just one metal type, and the attachments the same (Steel gun making, steel bayonet making, combine gun and bayonet) But when i get home I will do some tests to see if that is possible, I'm sure get_material_from_reagent is a PRODUCT only thing but can't hurt to try (unless you test it first)

If it doesn't work I could suggest http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7676 my DF Raw Cloner, Oh it's a bit outdated, I will update it once I get home aswell (updated version lets you use a list via external text file to create an array to make all your reactions, or whichever in one or two goes. One preferred) Of course idk if Blast or Rubble already covers this.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the Rubble Creator

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: March 10, 2014, 02:58:38 pm »

It would be easy to make a Rubble template to clone reactions like that, mater-of-fact I do it all the time.
A good example would be the "Pottery" or "Glass Forge" addons in Better Dorfs, both of those examples are for changing the item, but the principle is the same either way.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: March 10, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »

Is there any way to give a specific syndrome(Not its effects, the syndrome itself) a duration or failing that, remove it prematurely?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: March 10, 2014, 04:01:21 pm »

Is there any way to give a specific syndrome(Not its effects, the syndrome itself) a duration or failing that, remove it prematurely?
The syndrome goes away exactly when all its effects finish. You can't remove it prematurely, but you can give it a duration by giving all of its effects a duration.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: March 10, 2014, 04:03:31 pm »

The syndrome goes away exactly when all its effects finish. You can't remove it prematurely, but you can give it a duration by giving all of its effects a duration.

OK, thanks for the answer.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:16 pm »

What would be the easiest way to create a sabre toothed tiger? Tusks in the upper jaw? If so, how do I place them there?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: March 10, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

What would be the easiest way to create a sabre toothed tiger? Tusks in the upper jaw? If so, how do I place them there?

Put this in an OBJECT:BODY raw file:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:SABERTEETH]
[BP:R_TUSK:right tusk:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][CATEGORY:TOOTH][SOCKET][SMALL]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:15]
[BP:L_TUSK:left tusk:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][CATEGORY:TOOTH][SOCKET][SMALL]
Then just put SABERTEETH somewhere into your creature's BODY tag.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: March 10, 2014, 05:12:41 pm »

Another question: can a *reagent* in the reaction have a GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT material, pointing to another reagent?
Just tried it out, it appears that GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT doesn't cause an error, but I believe it just gets blanked out (NONE:NONE) my test reaction was this so far:

[REACTION:BUY_QUIVER]
[NAME:purchase a (quiver)bullet case]
[BUILDING:PC:NONE]
[REAGENT:cash:50:COIN:NONE:INORGANIC:CREDIT]
[REAGENT:cash2:50:COIN:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:cash:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:QUIVER:NONE:INORGANIC:ALUMINUM]

I had two types of coins, Industerial and Gold. the reaction choose to use any Industerial coin and gold.
More testing should be done, but I don't think it works at all.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:26 am »

For the hidden gems and rock monsters spawning, you can make something like that with the mentioned veins/clusters of hidden gem/boiling monster stone rock. When inhaled the miner will turn opposed_to_life, hide, transform into something that drops a bp, turns that bp into a stone monster OPPOSED_TO_LIFE miner then becomes normal once the OPPOSED_TO_Life wears off, and in the meantime there is a horride monster that will either roam around the fort killing everyone, or discover the miner kill him and move on to other people. (If you want the miner to leave hiding give him an interaction that fires a projectile at himself, that will exit him from ambush/sneak mode)
I think it's amazing that this spawning workaround was discovered at all, but is there a reason spawning requires a Rube Goldberg contraption?  "Toady hasn't gotten around to spawning yet" is perfectly fine, but I was curious if there was some philosophical aversion to making critters appear without having them "wandering around the world" first.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:48 am »

Put this in an OBJECT:BODY raw file:
[BODY:SABERTEETH]
[BP:R_TUSK:right tusk:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][CATEGORY:TOOTH][SOCKET][SMALL]
[BP:L_TUSK:left tusk:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][CATEGORY:TOOTH][SOCKET][SMALL]
Then just put SABERTEETH somewhere into your creature's BODY tag.

Why not:
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:R_EYE_TOOTH:30]
[RELSIZE:BY_CATEGORY:L_EYE_TOOTH:30]

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: March 11, 2014, 10:04:07 am »

That would work too.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: March 11, 2014, 10:56:04 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's amazing that this spawning workaround was discovered at all, but is there a reason spawning requires a Rube Goldberg contraption?  "Toady hasn't gotten around to spawning yet" is perfectly fine, but I was curious if there was some philosophical aversion to making critters appear without having them "wandering around the world" first.

Yeah Toady hasn't gotten around to Summoning or Spawning, just animation, transformation and resurrection. So a few of the other advanced modders (Di, Narihil) managed to find and abuse an exploit for the transformation and combined it with animation and resurrection.

If you really want a "spawning" monster vein/cluster I know Meph has that in masterwork or can PM me and I can write up the method of doing that, Hidden gems for sure are easier (gem clusters that look exactly like the rock they form in but drop the special gem)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:29 am »

Yeah Toady hasn't gotten around to Summoning or Spawning, just animation, transformation and resurrection. So a few of the other advanced modders (Di, Narihil) managed to find and abuse an exploit for the transformation and combined it with animation and resurrection.

If you really want a "spawning" monster vein/cluster I know Meph has that in masterwork or can PM me and I can write up the method of doing that, Hidden gems for sure are easier (gem clusters that look exactly like the rock they form in but drop the special gem)
That's good to hear.  It means we don't have to worry about the current pseudo-spawning methods getting intentionally broken in the next release.

I appreciate the offer of help, though I'm moving pretty slowly on the mod due to a lot of bringing work home lately.  The eventual goal is a "Strike the Earth... and the Earth Strikes Back!" mod something like this:

A regional interaction (like the evil-biome reanimation effect) awakens a small percentage of mined stones once in a while (maybe 0.5% monthly, to be tweaked for playability).  Awakened stones drop a stone as their "corpse" when killed which may very well awaken again later.  The Dwarves can carve the stones into blocks to prevent awakening, or a more permanent solution would be to construct a Tribute to that particular stone type.  The Tribute (which was supposed to consume the Dwarf who constructed it) would make that particular type of stone non-hostile, or stop awakening altogether, whichever is feasible.  An alternative would be requiring a valuable gem to make the Tribute.

If the awakening will really occur from specific clusters, it might suffice for the Tribute to make a Dwarf immune to the syndrome that causes spawning, or just immune to the [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] portion.  Since each type of rock creature is created by a different syndrome, hopefully this can be exploited to give immunity on a syndrome-by-syndrome basis.  This would perhaps require a valuable gem per miner to be made immune (acceptable to the stone critters).

To balance out the danger of mining ("very deep soil" should become a popular embark criteria), the layer stone contains hidden gems, has a few extra uses to be modded in as I think of them, and the presence of non-hostile critters helps a tad in defending the fortress ("The awakened granite stone bites the awakened gabbro stone and latches on firmly").  And what Dwarf doesn't want a magma-safe pet?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Magnusen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: March 12, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »

I got some question here:

1.How can i mod the game to improve performance? I already done a custom standard animal,grass,tree templates (based on my observations from the accelerated mod) but there are any other ways to further increase performance by modding? (excluding init modifications i already done that)

2.Is there a way to increase chance of Demon Fortresses?

3.What does the REQUIRED  ethic tag do?.I know that is almost the same as ACCEPTABLE but does it force the entity to do that? (for example I put it on ETHIC:THEFT does it force the civ to steal?)

4.I got a couple of wild intelligent creatures (like bandits for example) that behave in the same way as animal clusters (they spawn and wander on the map,etc) but I want to know if they would join a adventure or they would behave just like animals and attack me?Do I need to create a entity to them (just like the subterranean people) to make them interact with the rest of the world (join adventures,steal,build homes,etc)?

5.How to really decrease z-levels? I’m not disposed to dig through 140 levels to get more fun.As far as I know, the LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_x tags on world gen controls that.Does elevation influences that too?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: March 12, 2014, 03:55:55 pm »

1.Pretty much reducing the amount of materials will greatly speed the game up since it doesn't have to do separate checks for each material (Does palm wood shield burn at 10050? no does the high wood spear burn at 10050? no, so on and so forth) Really the big performance killers are Path Finding (set traffic values during play to reduce the lag from this since it makes path fiding easier, hostile AI will still hit the performance) temepture is the next biggest factor, and clothing. since units check to see if their clothes are too worn to wear, if so look for new clothes. Basically afaik you have done the most modding can do to add to the FPS

2. Not that I know of, but a fortress does spawn in one of the 20x20 map tiles, just have to get lucky and embark on one of those chunks that have it.

3. As far as I know not much research has been done on that Ethic value

4. Since they are intelligent you might be able to recruit them, however they are wild animals, if they were a pet of a civ you would have a chance.

5. Decrease the cavern layers from 3 to 1, closer to the fun now (But all layers from 1-3 are mashed into one now) Elevation like mountians will increase how much must be dug, can find a place that is highly eroded that i think will reduce the top layers to dig to first cavern.
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 544